sand monitor not eating ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dilsy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Got my sand (gouldii) monitor yesterday and doesn't seem to be eating anything. Put some crickets and a small mouse in the viv but doesnt seem interested. Don't know if I'm just being paranoid or not. She (as we believe) has been moved enclosures and is probably still settling in but just wanting to make sure if this is normal. She is very active though and loves to dig and venture around.

Cheers Dylan

Hey guys

Got my sand (gouldii) monitor yesterday and doesn't seem to be eating anything. Put some crickets and a small mouse in the viv but doesnt seem interested. Don't know if I'm just being paranoid or not. She (as we believe) has been moved enclosures and is probably still settling in but just wanting to make sure if this is normal. She is very active though and loves to dig and venture around.

Cheers Dylan
Leave it alone a few days.
Also what temps are you running, etc : cool, ambient, hot and bask?

in the enclosure

- - - Updated - - -

got a temp gun on the way so dont know exact temps yet. running a 40watt red/heat globe around 500mm from the floor and one end and enclosure is 1200mm long

Attachments

• 282214_10151106552353525_1466658031_n.jpg
    282214_10151106552353525_1466658031_n.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 242
in the enclosure

- - - Updated - - -

got a temp gun on the way so dont know exact temps yet. running a 40watt red/heat globe around 500mm from the floor and one end and enclosure is 1200mm long
Ok tomorrow as in first thing in the morning chuck that globe away. Buy at least an 120w bulb, preferably a 150w mercury vapour bulb. In future please have all your arriving animals needs thoroughly researched.

Monitors love heat and will not feed if it is too cold.

I'd be getting a couple of smaller watt halogen floods in there, say 50W each, in a bank and raise the basking site (flat rocks are good) until you get 50c + as a hotspot. Add heaps of hides throughout, plenty of substrate to dig in and be patient (it's only small and potentially sees you as a predator). It'll eat when it feels safe. Here's what I use for Lacies. The larger bulb's a "Solar glow" UV unit which may not be necessary but I like to add "just in case". These are 300mm from bulb to the surface and I get 50-60c, depending on the ambient.Hope this is useful.

Attachments

• 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    002 [1600x1200].jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 196
Last edited by a moderator:
You need to heat monitors way above what most keepers think.... they burn up the watts. make sure their hides are heated 24/7 as juvies

Dylan if you have him in the enclosure you had on Facebook then I imagine its because he isn't warm enough. You have no basking light, a 40w globe in that size enclosure is not doing anything except warming the air, very slightly. He needs a 50+C hot spot. This will mean you'll probably need a 75-100w basking 'flood' globe positioned about 300mm from him, the globe should be heating a flat rock or something like that. Set up something like what Richard has shown above. I've never had a monitor need time to settle in before it ate. A temp gun will also be a good investment.

He looks good too :)

I'd go with what Richard (imported_varanus) recommended and set up a bank of two 50 watt halogens, side by side, close enough to the basking spot to give an even basking area of 50C+, with an optional UV light aiming at the basking area.

You don't need bulbs from pet stores. You'll save yourself a lot of money and the monitors don't know whether or not the package in which the bulbs come say 'reptile' on it or not :)
I'd also get something that gives off white light as well as heat, rather than one of those red bulbs. Monitors associate light with heat as they bask out in the sun.

OK will get a 100w globe today, does it matter if there different colours ?. Do I leave it on all the time or switch it off at night? The globe that is in there now is about 35cm from a rock/ hide

OK will get a 100w globe today, does it matter if there different colours ?. Do I leave it on all the time or switch it off at night? The globe that is in there now is about 35cm from a rock/ hide
Leave on for an 8-9 hour period during the day to simulate night and day temps and no. I use a 150w mercury vapour bulb ( $30 ) which will last you 6 months to a year or you can just use bunnings 150w phillips flood lights for $8. I use the mercury just for piece of mind.

Ohk will get a 100w globe for the day basking and set up the 40w red globe to stay on all the time ? Do any of you guys run thermostats or is it a waste? Running a uvb 10.0 globe for day light aswell.

I use these globes, you get them from Bunnings for about $9.00 each. Get two of them & set them up next to each other about 300mm above the basking spot. You won't need the red globe at all, he won't need any night time heat in Adelaide now. You won't need a thermostat.

2e6enysu.jpg

Sweet thanks Chris. Will use the 100 until I can wire up a second socket then invest in some flood lights.

I'd be getting a couple of smaller watt halogen floods in there, say 50W each, in a bank and raise the basking site (flat rocks are good) until you get 50c + as a hotspot. Add heaps of hides throughout, plenty of substrate to dig in and be patient (it's only small and potentially sees you as a predator). It'll eat when it feels safe. Here's what I use for Lacies. The larger bulb's a "Solar glow" UV unit which may not be necessary but I like to add "just in case". These are 300mm from bulb to the surface and I get 50-60c, depending on the ambient.Hope this is useful.

Just wondering, what brand is ur solar glo UV light? also, do u have a seperate timer for each globe?

Last edited:
As Chris said, use two of those 50w halogens and you'll be set. Do NOT use two different bulbs of different wattage (ie your red bulb and another) as an unevenly heated basking spot is a quick way to get burns on your monitor's skin.

Ohk thanks for that crocdoc. Put the 100 globe in and half hour later was chasing every single cricket down. Will use that until I can wire up a second globe socket and more then a bit closer to the ground

Make sure you are monitoring how hot basking spots and the hot end is getting either with a temp gun or a thermometer. Monitors thrive in heat.

yeh got a inferred temp gun in the post should be here tomorrow :)

yeh got a inferred temp gun in the post should be here tomorrow :)
Glad to hear, if you are achieving the required temps with the one globe I do not see any reason to as why you would need two globes. One mercury vapor bulb does me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back