Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miichoouu

Reaction score
Hey guys, now i'm getting a new snake either a Stimson or a children's python... this will be my first snake and i'm not really sure what to do, i'm 20 and have always loved snakes, and haven't been able to stop reading about them...

I know the basics like whats on the web of what I need, but I cant find anyone with experience on snaked on what to actually do from an actual snake owner them self...

I already have my reptile license, and still am looking for breeders, although I have found a couple but the hatchlings are not quite ready...

please help thanks :)

p.s I also want a pygmy python but cant find anyone... so if anyone knows any please help :D

and also I know snakes are really sensitive to sound vibrations, and I may have to keep the snake in my garage but will the vibrations from the garage scare them?

first off the vibrations i wouldn't worry to much just dont have the tank on a solid floor. if your only planning on the 1 snake for ahwile or just want it as display just get a 4x2x2 melamine tank or if your crafty then build 1 theres many threads on people building them with costs ect. dont go and buy the "reptile lights" for 10-20$ ea
go to Bunnings and buy cheaper lights for 1-3$ ea. if your snakes snappy dont stress because he should calm down as he gets older or handled every few days. for the substrate i prefer newspaper as alot of people do easy to clean and wipe the hole tank down when needed. you will need a nice size water bowl in there and something with a rough surface so the snake can rub its nose on when comes to a shed and also a hide or 2 in the hot and cool end. thats my tips goodluck :)

My advice is find a breeder close to you keep in contact when you ready and they have what you looking for then ask them to show you how to handle your snake make a list of questions before you go. You can read every word written but hands on experience is the real key, set up well in advance, if you only having one snake then to keep it in the garage won't get full enjoyment as such, as if it was in living area to watch and admire just my opinion. Good luck

A Pygmy Python is probably not the best choice to start with - something like a Spotted Python would be much better and easier to care for, and if you get a hatchling, the 4x2x2 enclosure suggested above is WAY too big to begin with.

Jamie

If you are looking for a spotted python, have you tried a pet shop in your area. You could also check on Gumtree, Petpages and the local Newspapper. Would freighting it be a problem? Because if it isn't just go onto one of the big breeders websites where you will be able to decide what you want.

We breed pygmy's, as do Snake Ranch.

Personally I would not sell you one as a first snake though sorry.

The breeder you get your snake off should be able to help you with any questions etc you have and as others have mentioned show you how to handle your new pet. Otherwise DoLittle's have some really good care sheets.

From personal experience though, if your worried about flighty or bitey bubs I would personally recommend a Stimson over a Spotted. Have always found young Spotted's to have 'small snake syndrome' where they are quite scared and Bitey until older and bigger...

I love pygmy's too, but I agree they aren't a good first snake. I'd love to own some one day but I know I have a lot more to learn and experience before I do. I'd go for a stimson rather than a spotted. IMO a lot prettier and they are probably the closest thing to a pygmy. From what experience I have had with them, they are a lot more placid than spotted and better for handling. My friend and I got our snakes at the same time. My stimmi has never bitten or striked at anyone, his spotted has bitten me and everybody else several times haha (doesn't hurt though since he is still small.) Some people even go as far to say that there is no such thing as a nice spotted haha, although I'm sure this isn't entirely true :p

But yeah, IMO I'd look into the Stimsons or the childrens rather than a spotted :) but not the pygmy at this time.

Lol Sanna!

And they are only bitey and flighty while they are young in my experience....even my 8yr olds spotted that was last years hatchy is pretty placid now so it really doesnt take long.

Lol Sanna!

And they are only bitey and flighty while they are young in my experience....even my 8yr olds spotted that was last years hatchy is pretty placid now so it really doesnt take long.

Hopefully that is true! That does make a lot of sense though...I read somewhere that they have a bit of a 'little man syndrome' until then get bigger haha :p I'm sure that there are probably just as many snappy stimson hatchlings as spotteds in reality haha. I'm just biased because I love my girl so much :)

My spotty was pretty calm since i first got her, she was around 3 months old it only took a few weeks for her to calm down, i only got one bite because i was kinda scared to pick her up and was really jumpy lol but once i did it the first time it got so much easier and now i dont even hesitate, since then shes been very placid. Yes i have heard of a few spotteds being a bit nasty but the majority of them calm down just the same as a stimmie would. :)

The only times my Spotted has tagged me is when I was first learning how to handle snakes and I startled her (3 times over several months) and once because she needed her food upsized and was hungry when I reached in. Otherwise she is gorgeous, she has never tagged my kids and is often out climbing over our heads and faces or hiding in our shirts. And they are every bit as pretty as a Stimi, both are nicer looking than Childrens in my opinion.

I know you said either a stimson or a children but have you looked at a bredli? they do grow a bit bigger but they are also very calm snakes. My little sister has a Bredli and she's 8 (she got nelly when she was 6) and i got a stimson a few weeks ago. Nelly is pretty much my snake because i always have her out (she's to big for my sister now, she's scared of nelly) I reckon the bredli is a better option because i like bigger snakes. If you dont want a bredli a stimson is a good choice.

The snake i have wanted for ages is a woma :D but im not sure if i can have one on a basic license :(

thanks,
me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back