Insect I.D.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknifejimmy

Reaction score
Hey guys, found this at work today and in 28 years on this earth have never seen it before...
It's about 22-25mm long and stood about 5mm high off the ground, head end is on the right side of pics, anyone able to I.D. it?

IMG_1724.jpgIMG_1725.jpg

i cant tell you what it is but i have seen them before strangely enough they were around 900m underground

Saw these on Deadly 6o last week, or one of those type of shows. Some species can get to 30 cm long and super fast.
Ive found the smaller Aussie versions like the one pictured when lifting rocks and logs.

Saw these on Deadly 6o last week, or one of those type of shows. Some species can get to 30 cm long and super fast.
Ive found the smaller Aussie versions like the one pictured when lifting rocks and logs.

Used to see a fair few big ones in the wet season in Cairns. Occasionally they'd come into the house. Not to 30cm though, I'll pass on that.

That thing looks extra creepy, but is interesting lol never seen or heard of it before

Its a Scutigeromorpha sp. An Australian Centipede.
This one has a nasty bite, but wont kill you.
Will give you chills, weakness and aches, Swelling around the bite location and possibly the joints.

I would avoid them, as most centipedes carry alot of bacteria, they eat ground dwelling insects, and they bites can become very infected, and its normally the infection that hurts the most.

This can cause more discomfort to a child, or a person with a weak immune system.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back