sand monitor not eating ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear, if you are achieving the required temps with the one globe I do not see any reason to as why you would need two globes. One mercury vapor bulb does me.

You run the risk off thermal burns. While the monitor warms under MV and spot bulb, one section tends to get alot hotter than the rest of the animal and it dosen't seem to register (sometimes burns can be full thickness). I think also that some species are more prone to this than others (Lacies as opposed to Spencers, for example).

As imported_varanus has said, I wouldn't trust a lone UV globe, either, especially as the monitor grows. What species do you keep, Monitors_R_Us, and how large are they?

Dylan, as crocdoc & imported_varanus have said, set up dual globes, this will spread the heat across the whole monitors body (not tail), thus eliminating the potential for one section of his body sustaining burns. Good to hear that he's now eating too.

As imported_varanus has said, I wouldn't trust a lone UV globe, either, especially as the monitor grows. What species do you keep, Monitors_R_Us, and how large are they?
At home i have kept ackies and black head's. At work I look after numerous Lace monitors and and number of other monitor species. If a single bulb is high enough and strong enough it will do the job, not saying multiple smaller globes is bad / wrong, just not my way.

If a single bulb is high enough and strong enough it will do the job, not saying multiple smaller globes is bad / wrong, just not my way.

That explains it. A single bulb with an ackie or blackhead is fine, as they're small monitors. A single bulb with an adult lace monitor (or panoptes, which the original poster keeps) is going to either be too far away and consequently not hot enough, or burn inducing. It can only heat one part of the monitor's body at a time so while part of the monitor is hot, another part is cool so the monitor keeps trying to bask to get the cool area warm enough. In cool weather this will cause burns. I have three bulbs with my adult lace monitors and have been contemplating setting up a fourth on each of the basking spots.

crocdoc - i have a gouldii not panoptes :) i listened to everyone experinced on here(instead of shops). bought a 100w globe with a 80% beam angle so is a bit more spread out until i wire up a second socket.
but she is alot more active and hungry now ate a whole small mouse last night and moved all of the sand from one side of the viv to the other :p she is not to keen on the crickets though, saw her eat a couple just likes to kill the rest but not eat them?

crocdoc - i have a gouldii not panoptes :) i listened to everyone experinced on here(instead of shops). bought a 100w globe with a 80% beam angle so is a bit more spread out until i wire up a second socket.
but she is alot more active and hungry now ate a whole small mouse last night and moved all of the sand from one side of the viv to the other :p she is not to keen on the crickets though, saw her eat a couple just likes to kill the rest but not eat them?

Glad to hear mate, told you just one higher light with a higher wattage would be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back