Inspiring song.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree with most that's said here... However, add these to your list:

The Hurt Locker
Battle for Haditha

Both really good movies...

"act of valor" has to be one of the best war movies ive ever seen!
it beats "saving ryans privates"

It was a TERRIBLE! movie!
And if you can't see through the veil of 'movie' and figure out it was shameless propaganda for the U.S. military then it's back to grade 2 with you. Hell the U.S. military paid for more than 90% of the films production.
Bet you didn't know they also did with Top Gun - it was funded by the U.S. navy and was responsible for more recruits to the U.S. navy than any other drive they've ever attempted.

Has anyone seen Age of Heroes? (I haven't yet, but was interested) It's about Ian Flemming's commando unit and one of the operations (apparently) taken by this special unit.

Might be worth a look...

It was a TERRIBLE! movie!
And if you can't see through the veil of 'movie' and figure out it was shameless propaganda for the U.S. military then it's back to grade 2 with you. Hell the U.S. military paid for more than 90% of the films production.
Bet you didn't know they also did with Top Gun - it was funded by the U.S. navy and was responsible for more recruits to the U.S. navy than any other drive they've ever attempted.

When you've been in the military for as long as some of us have, movies tend to be ruined for you. Regardless of whether or not it was propaganda makes no difference, I'm already in the army they don't need to convince me to join. What was so good about this movie was realism, it was filmed mostly using live rounds, same as all their training. So I'll thank you not to make out like people are dumb because they liked it. And the government paid for 90% did they? Ever think that might be because the "actors" were all seals? Seals that are employed and paid by the government?
What a shock, guess I should go back to second grade

When you've been in the military for as long as some of us have, movies tend to be ruined for you. Regardless of whether or not it was propaganda makes no difference, I'm already in the army they don't need to convince me to join. What was so good about this movie was realism, it was filmed mostly using live rounds, same as all their training. So I'll thank you not to make out like people are dumb because they liked it. And the government paid for 90% did they? Ever think that might be because the "actors" were all seals? Seals that are employed and paid by the government?
What a shock, guess I should go back to second grade

Not meaning to offend anyone, guess my film and media degree and 3 years of being a camera operator side takes over some time.
The government/military didn't just pay for the 'actors' - they paid for most of what goes into a full scale film production - everything down to the catering of staff and crew, ALL the advertising - to have the names printed on the back of the directors chairs - everything!
There is an entire world more work that goes into a films production that the budget is taken up by, paying actors and directors is a fraction of the percentage of that cost...

And I wouldn't believe the 'filmed mostly using live rounds' part too much - the insurance they'd need for that on a film set would derail the project before it even began...

Last edited:
And I wouldn't believe the 'filmed mostly using live rounds' part too much - the insurance they'd need for that on a film set would derail the project before it even began...

The Seals are notorious show ponies and although they would have been "paid" as such, it wouldn't be anymore than their normal salary. This movie just gave them the opportunity to do standard drills and live fire exercises with a bit of flair. Considering their daily training takes place with live ammo as do all their drills, it made sense to conduct the movie with the same practises. If you google the movie, its well documented they used live rounds and considering the US military budget and the need for Seals to show off, it moves it into the believable bracket (well for me anyway)

Apologies, not trying to nit pic, Im just with FG and find movies like that ruin things...

Last edited:
The insurance is nothing. Its what they do every day, and what we do sometimes. Only difference being the cameras.

The insurance is nothing. Its what they do every day, and what we do sometimes. Only difference being the cameras.

Its not the insurance for them, its the insurance for everyone and everything else on the set.

- - - Updated - - -

The Seals are notorious show ponies and although they would have been "paid" as such, it wouldn't be anymore than their normal salary. This movie just gave them the opportunity to do standard drills and live fire exercises with a bit of flair. Considering their daily training takes place with live ammo as do all their drills, it made sense to conduct the movie with the same practises. If you google the movie, its well documented they used live rounds and considering the US military budget and the need for Seals to show off, it moves it into the believable bracket (well for me anyway)

Apologies, not trying to nit pic, Im just with FG and find movies like that ruin things...

Wasn't saying it wasn't realistic, saying it was a bad movie IMO and has no place when put up against all the great WAR​ movies mentioned so far...
Should either have been classified as documentary and done that way, or as advertising which was its intention...

Last edited:
Its not the insurance for them, its the insurance for everyone and everything else on the set.

- - - Updated - - -

Wasn't saying it wasn't realistic, saying it was a bad movie IMO and has no place when put up against all the great WAR​ movies mentioned so far...
Should either have been classified as documentary and done that way, or as advertising which was its intention...

Why did you bold the word war? Do you not class modern warfare as war? I've been there and although weapons may vary and wars have changed the people that fight them have not. Trust me, its still war. Anyway I've said my piece and since the thread was about a song I'll leave it at that

The Hurt Locker! I can't believe I forgot that one. Great movie.
I didn't actually like Act of Valor though, and nor did my Army hubby. He actually fell asleep mid way through it which he only does rarely if he can't get into a movie enough. :shock: I can't really even say why I didn't enjoy it either. I just felt like something was missing from it somehow. Oh well.

Why did you bold the word war? Do you not class modern warfare as war? I've been there and although weapons may vary and wars have changed the people that fight them have not. Trust me, its still war. Anyway I've said my piece and since the thread was about a song I'll leave it at that

Modern warfare is still war, I just did that as a single anti-terror unit bouncing around the world is very different to all the epic 'classic' war movies that everyone else mentioned and the theme was...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back