Large Monitor Breeders.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha please do not get me wrong. Lace Monitors would be my favorite species of monitor behind the Emerald Tree Monitor and would be amazing to own my very own one day instead of just looking after multiple ones at work. I said that because I just am so surprised at how many people purchase lacies as their 1st class 2 monitor or even their 1st monitor ( not saying that it is a bad idea or cannot be done successfully ) over something just as stunning as say a Gouldii.

For that reason then i agree, i love the look of goulds monitors and their variations in pattern, also alot of other monitors, im still undecided as to what class 2 monitor (that i like) i would like to start off with, i would rather a lacie as my first class 2 monitor cause their just so amazing but im thinking of something else first that would help even further in preparing for them.

scottyherps- im very much hoping so ;)

To be honest I reckon that most (except panoptes and rosenbergs also maybe spenceri) are at good levels, I really wouldn't want sandys or lacies to increase in captive populations. People should focus on breeding the species that need more stable captive populations then species that are readily available - again though, it's the demand for these animals, people want to be able to show off with massive 1m+ long monitors and not to mention how entertaining feeding time can be (also it's good for getting better reflexes).

A lot of monitors have only begun to be successfully kept and breed in more recent years when compared to other lizards. Especially when it comes to the larger species, however in the next 10 or so years I'd imagine that a lot of these species will probably increase quite noticeably in captive populations.
That thread you started the other week was actually a very good read as i am keen on some of them monitors coming into captivity more readily.

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see Spencers become alot more common, same with Perentie's.

Thanks, pity its gotten rather inactive though. I've been talking to a lot of friends in the monitor community so send me a pm if you have some questions. Personally I reckon there are quite a few people (myself included) that would love the chance to keep and breed a lot of those species. As more states get more species on their schedules, more people will breed those rare species and so their captive population will increase (come on dse, we need mitchelli down here in VIC!).

If you want a Perentie, you can get them pretty easily. You just need the resources.

Last edited:
I do agree, people need to focus on those that are'nt very common to bring them up in captive populations, smaller monitors are just as good as the larger ones, i personally prefer the larger ones but by all means i would never show them off, especially where i live, doing so is just advertising them to be stolen.
I think alot of problems with keeping perenties is not many people have enough space to keep them in or enough money to maintain them.

Last edited:
Thanks, pity its gotten rather inactive though. I've been talking to a lot of friends in the monitor community so send me a pm if you have some questions. Personally I reckon there are quite a few people (myself included) that would love the chance to keep and breed a lot of those species. As more states get more species on their schedules, more people will breed those rare species and so their captive population will increase (come on dse, we need mitchelli down here in VIC!).

If you want a Perenite, you can get them pretty easily. You just need the resources.

Might need to give it a bump up then ;) but unfortunately I do not have any new information. No problem, may actually send you a pm now. One day i definitely will but only once I have got my own place and can properly look after a few adult specimens. When does the new species list come out? NSW at the end of this year will be allowed to sell reptiles in pet shops so that will i guess aid in bringing more breeders to the hobby. There was a perentie for sale on URS but got quickly snapped up.

Agreed Monitors_R_Us, one day I want to move up to Queensland and have my own little collection, probably not going to happen but one can dream. There were actually two perenties for sale on URS, both got sold pretty quickly. The vic licence update will come out around mid-way through next year, a list has been released though. The monitors that are going to be added to the schedule so far are V. brevicauda, scalaris and caudolineatus - I got a mate up in QLD with pellewensis so definitely getting the scalaris and maybe some brevs, depends if I have the money at the time. Would love to see some more monitors added to the list though, and as you can probably tell I really want mitchelli to be added...

Agreed Monitors_R_Us, one day I want to move up to Queensland and have my own little collection, probably not going to happen but one can dream. There were actually two perenties for sale on URS, both got sold pretty quickly. The vic licence update will come out around mid-way through next year, a list has been released though. The monitors that are going to be added to the schedule so far are V. brevicauda, scalaris and caudolineatus - I got a mate up in QLD with pellewensis so definitely getting the scalaris and maybe some brevs, depends if I have the money at the time. Would love to see some more monitors added to the list though, and as you can probably tell I really want mitchelli to be added...
Aha i could tell you wanted them added ;) Ahhhhh it all comes down to money and room with monitors but I know what I know i wouldn't want to keep anything else but the great Aussie monitors.

You have excellent taste in reptiles. Although aussie monitors will always be number one I wouldn't mind some Diporiphora and a couple rare gecko species. Anyway back on topic, send me a pm any time. With the whole money and space thing I reckon money is the real killer, especially if you're like me and what you really want is rare odatria and small water monitors.

Its not only the price of the monitor thats gonna be a killer, they eat alot more then most other reptiles and alot of money will be spent on just food alone, smaller monitors are cheaper to feed then the bigger ones tho, but in the end run it all adds up.

I have see quite a few baby lacies on the market lately, I wonder if any of them are his. I know crocdoc is the go to for lacy information but I wonder if his breeding went well this year. In the monitor picture thread his hatchys are always spectacular.

Well that answers that for me ;)

Andrew has been breeding lacies for many years (pre amnesty), every year without fail, and to date has had a 100% success rate.... As long as you have the right sexes, animals, and pit set ups, breeding lacies is pretty basic and the eggs are one of the hardiest reptile eggs , you literally cant kill them.

Just noticed this thread. I had two clutches this past season and all of them hatched. Still have a couple of babies kicking around, mainly because I haven't had time to advertise them!

Andrew has been breeding lacies for many years (pre amnesty), every year without fail, and to date has had a 100% success rate.... As long as you have the right sexes, animals, and pit set ups, breeding lacies is pretty basic and the eggs are one of the hardiest reptile eggs , you literally cant kill them.

Thank you Jason, I always appreciate your answers on this forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed this thread. I had two clutches this past season and all of them hatched. Still have a couple of babies kicking around, mainly because I haven't had time to advertise them!
Your the Sydney Lacey King haha, but please make more videos as I loved the ones you have already made, just out of curiosity how many adult breeders do you own and do you breed other large monitor species?

My female Sandie finally laid 8 good eggs around about mid night last nite.
I'll give her a few feeds before I put the male back in with her again, now for the long wait until they hatch !!!!
Just hope my 2 female Rosenburgs do the same for me in the next few weeks, no sign of any mating yet still waiting for the weather to stay a bit warmer tho.
Cheers Deano

...please make more videos as I loved the ones you have already made, just out of curiosity how many adult breeders do you own and do you breed other large monitor species?

I've only got one pair of breeders. I have absolutely stacks of material for new videos, but have been busy with assorted projects and haven't had time to put anything together for a while. The one that will blow everyone away is an update to the video called 'monitor handling routine', showing how the pair (particularly the male) has been trained to raise his arm to be lifted out of the enclosure.

I'll give her a few feeds before I put the male back in with her again, now for the long wait until they hatch !!!!
Just hope my 2 female Rosenburgs do the same for me in the next few weeks, no sign of any mating yet still waiting for the weather to stay a bit warmer tho.
Cheers Deano

Do you own a trio of Rosenburgs ? Congratulations on the sandies too, very exciting.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I thought you had a few pairs, all good. I swear you have a video already of them doing that haha, where they go to the left hand corner and raise their hand and you lift them out?

Cheers Deano

That's awesome Dean, we'll need to chat about a juvie Gouldii!!! Catch up with you soon :)

Do you own a trio of Rosenburgs ? Congratulations on the sandies too, very exciting.

- - - Updated - - -
Yea I've got a breeding Trio of Rosenburgs from a bloke who has bred them a few times in the past so hopefully they still preform for me

Cheers Chris,
When they hatch I'll give you first dibs on the clutch mate, catch up with you soon
Cheers Deano

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I thought you had a few pairs, all good. I swear you have a video already of them doing that haha, where they go to the left hand corner and raise their hand and you lift them out?

Yeh he does have a video of them doing that lol, but he's making an updated version, which i cant wait for. :)

- - - Updated - - -
Yea I've got a breeding Trio of Rosenburgs from a bloke who has bred them a few times in the past so hopefully they still preform for me

Cheers Chris,
When they hatch I'll give you first dibs on the clutch mate, catch up with you soon
Cheers Deano
If you ever do get eggs, put me down for one haha. Not too many of them in the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back