Woma Vs BHP- first snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madders

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm looking at getting my first snake and would like you opinion on whether a SA woma or one of the bhp locales would make a better first snake? I would also love an olive but from what i can gather they are a little snappy when young and not the best idea as a first snake. Cheers Madders

if you're determent to go with one of the above I can only say that most womas are very calm but have a HUGE feeding response so tong feeding is a must, I have never kept black head so don't know much about them. generally the best snake to start off with is either a stimmi or a childrens whatever you get good luck

if its your first snake ever i'd say go for a childrens, spotted or stimmi. but if your determind to get a black headed python or woma be prepared. they are beautiful but BHP grow pretty big and both as previously said have very strong feeding response. i own both BHP's and a woma. also be careful not to over feed as both can get liver problem and they are big eaters and can easily over eat.

my woma male is the best to handle maily cause he is 18 months and placid. my female BHP is a very big girl but very placid, my male on the other hand can be a nightmare. it depends on the snake how easy its gonna be to handle make sure you meet the snake first and handle it before buying. best off getting a hatchie or yearling so you grow and learn with it.

He lives in WA. So he can only get a stimi or a south west carpet as a first snake anyway. He obviusly hasnt looked into it very far yet... Also no snake imports so I doubt he will get his hands on a SA local woma. Though there are a few here before the ban on imports.

For a first anake neither go with a chirldreni or coastal get some exsperience first then you can upgrade to either woma or bhp once you get exsperience

Id recommend a woma, black headed pythons get pretty big, well pretty big for a first snake owner aha, btw my first snake is a woma! :)

For a first anake neither go with a chirldreni or coastal get some exsperience first then you can upgrade to either woma or bhp once you get exsperience
*Slaps forehead* Neither of the animals you suggested are available where he lives... Read the thread :)

- - - Updated - - -

In WA you have to have a Cat 3 animal for 1 year first.
Cat 3: Stimi and SWCP
After a year of owning a cat 3 animal you can apply for Cat 4
Cat 4: Woma and BHP
After keeping a cat 4 animal for a year you can apply for Cat 5
Cat 5: Olive python.

Of course a cat 5 license is $350 a year.

*Slaps forehead* Neither of the animals you suggested are available where he lives... Read the thread :)

- - - Updated - - -

In WA you have to have a Cat 3 animal for 1 year first.
Cat 3: Stimi and SWCP
After a year of owning a cat 3 animal you can apply for Cat 4
Cat 4: Woma and BHP
After keeping a cat 4 animal for a year you can apply for Cat 5
Cat 5: Olive python.

Of course a cat 5 license is $350 a year.

So you're saying people are supposed to read whats posted in a forum!? Blasphemy! :p

Hey guys, I was living in wa, I haven't changed Facebook yet and it is somehow connected to my account on here. I'm now in nsw, though I was aware of the restrictions whilst I was there. Also i understand that womas and bhps get bigger and have no table manners, I expect to get chomped on :) I was just curious as far as temperament differences in the two breeds, cheers madders. Also, I'm a chick. Lol :)

I have bhp and they handle good but it's not up to us bud it's up to you
go look at and handle the two and the one you like the best buy don't let anyone tell you diff
cheers

Honestly, I'd say it depends on what you like the look of and what size you think you could handle.
A lot of people say Childrens cos they're small and don't need a lot of space.

But Some Womas don't get that big either. I've kept BHPs and Womas myself and know a lot of people that have Ants.

Of all the snakes I've come across, I'm still yet to meet one as calm as my old Woma. I have however come across a few nasty Ants.

I always tell my mates, that don't want a big snake to start with that they can buy a "big" snake as a hatchling and in the time it takes to get big, you'll most likely be used to handling a snake so your experience will grow with the snake.

For me, buying a small snake first left me with a small snake wanting a bigger one lol.

I think Womas make a great first snake, most locales don't get big & they are generally calm except at dinner time which is good IMO. I would hate to be a beginner with a small Stimmie/Spotted/Childrens that won't fed, better to have something with a ferocious appetite. They also handle temperature extremes really well & are a very sturdy snake.

We got one of Snake Ranch's Tanami womas & he is a real sook & then had to get another we loved him so much.

BHP's are pretty good also but just remember to think ahead, they do get big. But if you get a young one you will be able to gain experience as it grows.

Its hard to go wrong really. They are both great snakes. Yes black heads get big but if you get a hatchy it will take years so youll have plenty of time to get used to its size. Womas are great snakes and itll be hard to find a snake with a better personality.

Im sure its already been said but watch out for the feeding response for both these snakes, they love their food. My little Boondari just about launched herself out of her enclosure last weekend when she saw the rat and my black head python bumped the rat with her back and bite herself 6 times in that spot before she realised she was biting the wrong thing.

In the wild however they eat mainly reptiles which have much less fat than rodents, so just make sure you take it easy on the feeding, especially when they get older and you start feeding bigger food items. 2 small rats is better than one big fat one. The aspidities genus is prone to fatty liver disease and fat deposits around the heart.

What ever you choose, let us know and take pictures.

Hamish

Thank guys, I'm leaning towards the womas, but a bhp is definantly on the cards for the future. I'll be sure to post pics and keep you guys updated. I'm looking forward to a snake with a bit of size and ill keep an eye on the fat side of things. I wonder is it possible to raise lean mice/ rats? Does anyone know of this being done?

Not sure if it's been done? But all I did was use younger animals as I believe they don't put on as much fat until they've reached adult size. So I went from small adult mice, to hopper rats. Once my girl was on 2 large rats, I started feeding small rabbits which she's on now. You can also use birds ;)

To be honest, I'm not sure why people keep saying to watch out for their food response?
I've kept a woma, still have my BHP and a few carpets and they've all changed at feeding time. I only have one snake that doesn't strike at food. A coastal or something a similar size to an adult BHP would have a strike as nasty as a BHP. I wouldn't drop my gaurd around any snake at feed time lol.

I haven't tried this myself but have thought about it. I have read that others have tried and I think there are a few threads on the subject here somewhere. (i'm on my phone using slow as wifi so can't really find and paste links for ya, sorry)

Others also use things like chicken necks or drumsticks as fillers and there are mixed views on this. Personally, I'll use it occassionally along with a rat if I'm struggling to find rabbits.
There are even people who feed theirs fish. I'm yet to try this myself though.

If you're keen on having a bigger snake later, I'd go the BHP. Not to sway you or anything, but they're awesome :p.

My girl is two years old this month and she's easily over 6 foot.

Here's some pics to give you an idea of growth....

This is my old woma mid April 2010
ahemehem.jpg

And again about a year later
e6e8eja3.jpg

And this is my BHP Nov 2010
tyqa3uqu.jpg

And her July this year
muby7yze.jpg

So basically, you'd have about a year to learn how to handle a woma or BHP before they get some size ;)

I found mine harder to handle when they were small though lol.

Last edited:
personally, i dont think you can go past womas..... never had an issue, great feeders, docile and there personalities are great. never get bored watching them.

Go both or multiple of both that's what I did

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351920382149.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351920382149.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 54
  • uploadfromtaptalk1351920411038.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351920411038.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back