Wild Bearded Dragon or Tame Releasing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilequeen

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a bearded dragon that came into my care, my neighbour brought him to me just yesterday, after he was cornered by a dog in the park adjacent to our home. I feel he is wild, what concerns me is that it may be a slight possibility he could have escaped from someone's enclosure. I would also like to know, if he can be released out of suburbia. I dont want to release him back into the park if I can help it. Any advice on this really would be appreciated right now..thanks!!!

Unfortunately its hard to know whether he is wild or a pet. you could ask around your local area to see if anyones lost a beardie...

I'm not sure why you would you would think it was captive; bearded dragons are a common native on the Gold Coast. If there is nothing physically wrong with it, then it really ought to go back where it was found. The rules for wild caught animals are that they ought to be released within 1 kilometre of the place they were caught.

Okay Sarah I hear you, but remember alot of people are buying reptiles from the pet stores on the Goldy, and people get tired of them and let them go, dump them. Yes I also know they are a common native, and we now have common natives that have been taken from the wild for breeding and selling purposes. There's a problem the so called law makers didn't seem to mind, so now we have irresponsible humans who dont give a bugger when it suits them to replace their reptile with something that will go fetch ball.. And people like me get quoted THE LAWS.. I am not a law breaker, I know the rules, I was just asking a question so I can do the right thing by this beardie. Thats all I was asking Sarah!!

- - - Updated - - -

It is difficult to know this Leasdraco I am concerned about releasing him, Im wondering if I ought to release him into more dense bushland like currumbin!! Thanks for you reply :)

Considering the proportion of captive bearded dragons are central/inland then if the beardie in your possession is a central then it most likely is a captive as gold coast is outside the natural distribution. If it is an Eastern bearded dragon then it is most likely (but not necessarily absolute) a wild individual.

There are outlying circumstances that could influence the above conclusions but for this purpose they are not necessary.

Ive wondered once or twice when beardies are spotted around here that look more like centrals than easterns, but as it turns out its not unheard of that they range this far east

its okay :)

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the difference in appearance between an eastern and a coastal? This may give me an idea Thanks

If you're really worried about it's welfare hand it into Currumbin wildlife hospital and they can determine where to from here! then you can sleep knowing that you've done the absolute best for the poor little thing. :)

I've obviously upset you that was not my intention. I wont begin to guess at how many pets are being dumped, but using your logic I could say that the rainbow lorikeets in my backyard were probably pets too; what I mean is you can't assume it's a pet, and if it was living in a park then that's probably the best place for it! They have a better understanding of the kind of micro-climates they required then you do, so just because you think Currumbin is a 'better' home for it doesn't make it so. Just telling it straight.

Ive wondered once or twice when beardies are spotted around here that look more like centrals than easterns, but as it turns out its not unheard of that they range this far east

I would be very surprised if a Pogona vitticeps was found naturally as far east as the Gold Coast, mis identification or not, it's still a good 500-600 km outside their distribution.

The spines along the back of the head/base of the skull will tell you reptilequeen, though a photo of this animal would be even better. If the spines are arranged in an arc/arrow then it is an eastern beardy, if the spines are more or less in a straight line, then it is a central beardy and not from the area.

I would be very surprised if a Pogona vitticeps was found naturally as far east as the Gold Coast, mis identification or not, it's still a good 500-600 km outside their distribution.
i should have clarified, i meant finding them around the central coast of nsw.

i should have clarified, i meant finding them around the central coast of nsw.

They are not found east of the Great Dividing Range (roughly speaking), the Central Coast is well and truly within P.barbata range.

You could basically say that Pogona vitticeps is found inland in both Qld and NSW in approximately the western half of each state. Someone who knows what to look at would disinguish between Pogona vitteceps and Pogona barbata easy as. Obviously if you have a P.vitteceps, it has been captive. If it is a P. barbata, then you have no real way o***owing for sure whether it has been captive. However, its behaviour around the presence of humans will stongly indicate whether it is indeed totally wild or a previous captive. Bear in mind that any illness contracted in the meantime can majorally influence the animal's behaviour.

Enlisting the aid people committed to rehabilitation and release is, I would suggest, the best way to go. I am sure they talk you through advertising having found a pet and correctly describe it and its yours.

Blue

Ring derm and ask? If it handles well and is 'likely' to be an illegally released captive bread, they might let you keep it? They are pretty easy to talk to.

Post a photo of it...

Many wild beardies act very tame, and after a couple of months in captivity become as tame as any captive bred one, thus lots of wildlife rescuers think they have an escaped pet...

Post a pic to confirm its Id but if it is a P barbata then it should be released exactly where found. Males are territorial and by moving it (which was illegal anyway) and releasing to another location, you will risk the resident dragons to disease (from you and your animals if you have them) and also caused a need for a reshuffle in the local hierarchy.

People who don't know should not touch their good intentions cause more harm than good.

cheers
scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back