Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slytherin00

Reaction score
Hi peoples, so being a uni student I dont really have a large disposable income and hopefully next week I'll be getting a snake, now my question that im probably looking at paying a max of 200-220 for like a Childrens/Stimsons/Spotted and I was wondering is that a reasonable price to expect

I ask because I saw there was this Childrens Python going for $300 and to me that seemed abit pricey and was wondering is my max amount im willing to pay way under what is considered to be the norm for these relatively basic species?

hatchlings anywhere from 100-250 150 seems to be common just be careful to make sure they are feeding and from someone who takes pride in what they do

Unless it's a morph I'd personally never pay $300 for a childreni but any animal is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. You should easily find an Ant for that price range though. Like BK said, just make sure it's feeding and everything properly. Also, you might want to keep in mind that the cost of the animal is usually the cheapest part. The enclosure and heating equipment are usually the really expensive part and then you will be feeding it every week and it will add to your electricity bill. Make sure you are able to cover that on a regular basis too.

Oh ok awesome glad to know that was kinda a little over priced. And Yeah i've got the enclosure and heating set up im literally on the home stretch all i need is the snake.

I guess I can be very impatient when I really want something, this next week will feel like a whole year just waiting til next monday

I paid $120 for my yearling spotted, but most of the snakes available at the time were younger and around $150-$175.

If it's from a breeder not a shop, i'd say 300 is a bit wishful on the breeders part. If it's from a shop, a little advice - don't buy from a shop!!!

150-200 is the upper end of the scale for most(standard) Ant. species...

Oh thats good, cos I thought that a reasonable price would be like 150 maybe 170.

And why not buy from a pet shop? and its also kinda hard though being in cairns with limited breeders, well I mean I've contacted several breeders and none of them have gotten back to me

Alot of people will say that buying from a shop is a ripoff as its too expensive. Which in most cases its more pricey. Because shops have to pay the breeder, the staff to look after it and make some profit. But depending on the shop, it can be a great experience. As long as the animals are housed well, with enough space, hide and water and heat and they are clean, there isnt a reason not to buy. I got my first snake from a pet store, and it was great to have the support of good staff to help me.
Just has ro be a good shop withngood staff thats all. All the best!

Oh thats good, cos I thought that a reasonable price would be like 150 maybe 170.

And why not buy from a pet shop? and its also kinda hard though being in cairns with limited breeders, well I mean I've contacted several breeders and none of them have gotten back to me

Coz petshops usually charge you double the price a breeder would ;) Also, more choice from a breeder and you will get accurate information/advice from a breeder.... which is quite rare from a petshop (my personal experience only):lol:

Remember there is always the option of buying one from another breeder and having it freighted for less than that so you know what your getting and who from.... I paid 100 for mine a year ago that XONT bite lol, just depends on the breeders......good luck with the hunt....

We're just coming into the breeding season at the moment so you may well find someone on here who is close to if not in Cairns will post some good deals. I bought mine from Tamworth which is 2 1/2hrs from here because I couldn't find anything locally, it was a good excuse for a road trip with a mate who knew about snakes to come checkout the breeders setup and the quality of the snake. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Alot of people will say that buying from a shop is a ripoff as its too expensive. Which in most cases its more pricey. Because shops have to pay the breeder, the staff to look after it and make some profit. But depending on the shop, it can be a great experience. As long as the animals are housed well, with enough space, hide and water and heat and they are clean, there isnt a reason not to buy. I got my first snake from a pet store, and it was great to have the support of good staff to help me.
Just has ro be a good shop withngood staff thats all. All the best!

Sadly, this is a big part of the reason not to, many shops have no idea of the specific requirements of snakes...

- - - Updated - - -

Remember there is always the option of buying one from another breeder and having it freighted for less than that so you know what your getting and who from.... I paid 100 for mine a year ago that XONT bite lol, just depends on the breeders......good luck with the hunt....

This is also a very good option. I just bought two juvie high yellow diamond x jungle sibs myself yesterday from a breeder in QLD. Been looking everywhere for high yellows down here as they're hard to come by with not much luck, or a crazy price tag when I do find them. Even with the cost of freight, buying two from a breeder interstate is costing less than half what I've seen most advertised for sale when they come up...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/sale-snakes-43/georgetown-stimson-hatchlings-194907/

Look at that, popped up today!

Last edited:
If you are genuinely looking for something and more or less ready to buy PM me and I will give you a contact who has some yearling Blonde Spotted pythons. I can vouch for the quality of his snakes and he is willing to freight.

Oh thats sounds Great Gruni, I'll P.M. you soon. And it does seem that even with postage cost buying interstate or even from Brisbane works out to be like $100 less than pet stores.

Im kinda surprized about that really, I would have thought it to be the other way around

Breeders are able to sell cheaper as less overheads generally, and the fact they usually have a fair amount of stock as opposed to a shop...

Breeders are able to sell cheaper as less overheads generally, and the fact they usually have a fair amount of stock as opposed to a shop...
plus there are alot of good breeders out there who are in it for the love of breeding so charge a fair price , unlike pet shops who are clearly in it for money some are good dont get me wrong but profit is a major factor in them staying a float

If you were around the Brisbane area we could help you out at our reptile shop, Scales & Tails Reptile Outlet at Oxley. Experienced staff who are all reptile breeders themselves with many years experience, and our Antaresia start from just $160. Quality animals and good advice from experienced staff. Who could ask for more?

Pet stores (the kind you get a puppy from) - no. Overpriced and generally do not know the specific keeping requirements. From the little experience that I have I have seen really dodgy python set-ups in normal pet stores with overcrowding and the wrong conditions.
Reptile stores - yes. Reasonable prices, and they do know the specific keeping requirements for different reptiles (they'd be a pretty crappy reptile store if they didn't.)
Private breeders - generally the cheapest option, but just harder to gain access to a GOOD one. As with all pet stores, reptiles stores etc there are dodgy ones! But if you find one that you're confident with then go for it :) Unless you know a breeder personally that you trust or somebody that can recommend a good breeder I'd go with the reptile store personally:)

I paid $220 for my stimson hatchling (I live in SA though, so prices are a bit more here.) But generally just normal spotteds and childrens are cheaper than stimsons in my experience. But worth it though, they are my favourite in the ant family :p

Good luck! Keep us updated on what you decide to go with :)

Pet stores (the kind you get a puppy from) - no. Overpriced and generally do not know the specific keeping requirements. From the little experience that I have I have seen really dodgy python set-ups in normal pet stores with overcrowding and the wrong conditions.
Reptile stores - yes. Reasonable prices, and they do know the specific keeping requirements for different reptiles (they'd be a pretty crappy reptile store if they didn't.)
Private breeders - generally the cheapest option, but just harder to gain access to a GOOD one. As with all pet stores, reptiles stores etc there are dodgy ones! But if you find one that you're confident with then go for it :) Unless you know a breeder personally that you trust or somebody that can recommend a good breeder I'd go with the reptile store personally:)

I paid $220 for my stimson hatchling (I live in SA though, so prices are a bit more here.) But generally just normal spotteds and childrens are cheaper than stimsons in my experience. But worth it though, they are my favourite in the ant family :p

Good luck! Keep us updated on what you decide to go with :)

Very true. However here in Qld, the only snakes/reptiles able to be purchased from 'pet shops' are Ants and beardies, so no one will start a 'reptile shop' because of the limitations of what they can legally sell.

Just from my experience and what I know, pet shops have to buy the snakes from a breeder for a reasonable price, then they have to pay rent on the shop, power, feed...... then they have to pay staff and all that goes along with that..... and of course tax :shock: Then they have to offer some sort of health guarantee.... so it is not the shops fault they have to charge so much for a snake.

I have found most of the staff at most of the petshops I go to, really know very little about reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back