Wadeye NT?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldie74

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm off to Wadeye NT for two weeks later this month for work and was hoping to get advice from anyone as to whether there are any good places nearby for herping? I'll do a dusk drive but was hoping for some good NPs nearby. I'd love to see some BHPs or Liasis in the wild... some Northern Quolls/ other Dasyurids would be good too!
Cheers..

What the hell are you going there for? If you are driving from Darwin down through adelaide river you'll see some good spots. I worked there for a few months and came across a lot just on the dirt road from daly river, particularly after the little water crossing after peppermentari (spelling?). You'll see the landscape change. Didn't see much in the way of pythons, but was only out dusk till dawn so mainly elapids through the day.

Have fun and stay safe. And don't get too close to the daly on your own.

- - - Updated - - -

A stop at fogg dam is a must to if you want to see some waters. Again watch the crocs.

Litchfield is also on your way when you get closer to the daly crossing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Ozzie... I requested to go to the Wadeye clinic/ hospital for a clinical placement. I've have been warned that there is a lot of unrest in the town at the moment, so it should be interesting :shock:. I am flying to Wadeye from Darwin but will have access to the clinic car while I'm there so I will head out for a look on weekends & after work. The Daly & Adelaide are too far but would have been great if I was driving there. I was told prior to booking my flights that Wadeye is inaccessible by car during the wet season... I might hire a car and head out from Darwin after my placement is done.
Thanks again..

If I were you I wouldn't be roaming around at night at Wadeye.

If I were you I wouldn't be roaming around at night at Wadeye.

Hi Darlyn, yeah I've been warned.... a lot! I guess I'll assess it when I get there. I will be driving to some of the out-of-town communities with another practitioner for various health screenings.... hopefully I'll spot some scaley friends on my travels.
Cheers

Yeah as white folk we weren't allowed in wadeye, only peppamintari, but we usually went to places on the other side of the main highway. Yep i forgot about the wet season, good 5m + of water over the dirt road to daly.

Definitely a place of caution, a lot of feuding between locals living of the land and those in the Christian communes. Still helping shouldn't be an issue, and if you get a rental car at Darwin fog dam isn't a long trip if you get time between flights. Have fun, it's a real eye opener. I'll be doing ban ban to wadeye by foot next year and looking forward to it.

My friend Larissa has just moved there for welfare type work and from what she had told me it definitely is not a safe community at the moment. I hope you enjoy your placement but like others have suggested just be careful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back