Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeaal

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance, but the internet has not been very helpful. I have seen some amazing pythons of gorgeous colors called "Jags". However, I can't seem to nail down whether they are always a cross between a Jungle Python and "whatever" or can be any cross of any two Morelia types. I have seen some advertised as "Jungle Coastal Jag" - a cross between both, or it's own type? I have also read that the gene which produces the beautiful colors can also be found to have caused some health issues later in the snakes life. Like I said.. heaps of info on the Net, but nothing very concrete. Hope these questions don't seem too silly.

jags are morph that originated overseas it was originally a coastal carpet but now they've been crossed out so many different ways , there are jags and jag sibs , jags carry the gene and look cool but have nuero problems whilst the jag sibs look normal in a sense but some are crossed so could look alright to some but im not a fan

this is a subject of alot of controversy on here and the mods have locked a few threads early on in the past to avoid that argument so don't feel offended if they do the same here

As said, jags are morphs - or crosses of species, can be either as the bloodlines are so mixed.
The ball pythons of the US are where the jag market here is heading the way I see it.
I love my pures, but just this weekend bought 2 jag sibs so I'm pretty indifferent on the subject. To me a beautiful snake is a beautiful snake...

just crossing a species doesnt make it a jag it has to have the jag gene , just crossing say a jungle and a diamond only gives you a jungle x diamond

just crossing a species doesnt make it a jag it has to have the jag gene , just crossing say a jungle and a diamond only gives you a jungle x diamond

Correct, I worded that last part about the bloodline wrong, apologies...

- - - Updated - - -

this subject makes me cry haha

Why? it's nice to have new and refreshing threads on here... :p

So, any python can have the jag gene, it isn't just the Jungles?

people still have pure jags in australia now ? :) i think you'd be looking for a very long time and even then id still be suspicious if its a pure coastal , it originated as a coastal but that wasnt good enough so it was crossed and crossed until there is what there is in the market now

- - - Updated - - -

So, any python can have the jag gene, it isn't just the Jungles?
no , it has to have a parent that is already a jag to be a jag so as it originated in a coastal any jag is going to have that in it then whatever else has been thrown into the mix
you cannot get a pure jungle jag imo as it didn't originate in jungles

so Jags are just coastals which people cross with other morelia to get the jag pattern but with different colours!?

so Jags are just coastals which people cross with other morelia to get the jag pattern but with different colours!?
bingo , except like i said you'd be looking for a very long time to find a pure coastal jag in australia as far as i know

To say they are just coastals is not correct in the sense that the straight coastal jag ceased to exist quite a time back as they have been put accross every Morelia type for years. In effect it would be near impossible to find a pure coastal jag at all anywhere in the world!

So the "jag" gene originated in coastal's, but is now found in many types of pythons due to the out-crossing? Oh - and sorry, here's another one I can't find an answer to: Is a BHP a type of (or related to) Woma? Seems only the head is a different color, but am very new to learning about snakes so please bear with me.

So the "jag" gene originated in coastal's, but is now found in many types of pythons due to the out-crossing? Oh - and sorry, here's another one I can't find an answer to: Is a BHP a type of (or related to) Woma? Seems only the head is a different color, but am very new to learning about snakes so please bear with me.

I have no idea about jags haha. But i can answer this question. Womas and BHPs are the two subspecies in the Aspidites family. So the same as childrens, spotteds and stimsons pythons are related through the Anteresia species, BHP's and Womas are related through that species :)

I have no idea about jags haha. But i can answer this question. Womas and BHPs are the two subspecies in the Aspidites family. So the same as childrens, spotteds and stimsons pythons are related through the Anteresia species, BHP's and Womas are related through that species :)

I'd just like to correct you there Sanna,

BHP's and Woma's are the two species of the Aspidites genus, not sub species and the same for the Antaresia they are species of that particular genera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back