Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to wait 8 years between giving up my herps and having the right circumstances to be able to own them again. A couple of months to find the right one is nothing, and will go faster than you think.

As people have said, in that time you can save more so afford better specimens or a different breed, and amass more knowledge so you're better prepared when your snake does arrive...

One of the primary reasons there are so many homeless and released animals around is because people know they want something, plan hard and then buy something because they are either too impatient to wait for the right one or because they come across a deal too good to be true. This means that while they have sated their initial want, they know deep down its not the perfect one so they keep looking and pass it on when they find something better.

Its my personal opinion so I don't expect you to change your ideals, but think of the animal rather than yourself. Ok, it's a snake, I'm fairly sure it's not going to grow hair, dye it black and then sit under a bush listening to Nickleback (shudder) while pinning for you, but it still never got to make the choice of what it wanted. Remember, you are God to them...

Patience is a virtue mate..

(the above is so deep and profound -not- even I'm wondering if I should wipe the dribble off my chin and run for PM or smack the back of my own head)

Wait for the perfect snake. I'm impatient as all heck myself. But I was lucky enough to find exactly what I was after at the price I could afford just now. That being said, with my other pets, I waited months and months until I found exactly what I was looking for, ever though impulse kept tempting me to buy one that was close to what I wanted. I have had no regrets so far in waiting, though I feel I might have had I bought something that was not quite what I was after. Out of curiosity, you said on another thread you wanted a few different species of snake. Any particular reason your chasing a childrens only?

Sniper, I love your signature!

Shauno (a member on here) just hatched some amazing looking childreni, he posted pics in the "Antaresia Freaks" thread, if u send him a pm im sure he'll give u details/prices on them. You would prob only have to wait a month or so for them to be ready aswell. :)

I had a look on the For Sales and seems that the best which it comes up with is for Brissy. And I know I picked such a bad time to become obessed with snakes. Like I can't wait til Jan/Feb I want one now.

I've kinda settled that I will have to have an adult snake which doesn't bother me that much its just findiing one in cairns which is so difficult urrgh. Well hopefully something comes up soon, and I need the price to be no more than 200

I just looked at gumtree (sunshine coast area, Qld) and there are coastal hatchies for $135, a 2 yo mac for $150, and hypo bredlis for $180.... maybe someone would freight you one? I know half a dozen breeders who could prolly help you out? Most are on here? Why domt you start a thread asking if any breeders have any 'special' price snakes which they could freight to you?;)

Have you got your licence in order yet? That will cost $64 for the licence and $8 for the log book......

Well heres just an update guys, and im not sure how well you'll take this news seeming that the majority have kinda decided that I would be an unfit keeper and will abondon my snake but im to impatient.

But anyway I was talking to a guy who was selling geckos on Gumtree, and he's put me in touch with a breeder who has a couple of older snakes for sale in my price range. So I will be checking it out tomorrow

Cool.... let us know how you get on... I am sure something good will turn up..... just would be good to get your licence done so when it does, you can snuffle it ;)

As long as you are 100% happy with what you see I say go for it, but if have doubts over these snakes, maybe wait.
Make sure you get what you want, not just the first thing you see and you'll be fine!

I'm excited for you! I hope you find what you are after!

Fine I'll just wait til Feb, so that means I would have waited 8 months in total. Well im sure it will be worth it. Its going to be so hard having to wait so long, espically when theres nothing you can do to move foward, you just have to sit there doing nothing urrgh, such fun
I waited 18 months to find the right snake... without paying for a jag, better to get the right snake for you.....

Aw yeah CaptinRatBag I've already got my license that was the first thing I got done, and the enclosures all set up and ready to go. And yeah Rowie what I think i've taken away from this thread is that. Is to make sure I am totally happy with it, or else I will just regret it later. But anyway I'll let you guys know how I get on

For a start, with a single income, mortgage, wife at uni two kids etc working full time means sweet F.A. for geting a snake 'when you feel like it'.

As far as your reaction to being told to wait a bit and really look around... if you don't want advice from people who have been there and know what they are talking about, then why ask? You can buy a snake tomorrow and have it freighted to you for around $220 and you'll have a snake and then you'll see the variety that hits the market in three months and although you will still love your snake you will still think 'What if???'

If you are struggling for money look at how much extra you can save in that time and by reading and researching you might decide on a different variety that is out of your current price range, that may be even more to your liking than a standard Stmi or Mac. With your post about knowing Corn snakes are exotic but how can you get one and now this thread I am starting to think you are on a spontaneous trigger to a certain extent. Be aware too that your snake will be a twenty year companion potentially, you want to get it right.

But you are right I love watching my girl, there are nights where I hardly see her but when she is active or when I have her out she is a real character.

Just like me wife and 3 girls one wage

Mate, it's an Internet forum. It full of opinions which are right or wrong depending on your view. One thing we agree on for the most part is, good luck and here's hoping your first reptile brings you as much joy as the rest of us experienced with ours

Good luck.

Stu

I got my Childrens hatchie for $100 back in March, got lucky too never a single problem sheds easily, smashes it's food no probs never refused a feed I can pick it up whenever I want and never had a snap even with it's food in my hand it won't touch it until I put it in feeding container. I hope you find what you are looking for at the right price, I think the snake picks you though, I may be silly but I swear they give you a wink and say pick me...lol.

Well heres just an update guys, and im not sure how well you'll take this news seeming that the majority have kinda decided that I would be an unfit keeper and will abondon my snake but im to impatient.

I don't believe anyone has said that. We have just said that you have been going on about your budget etc and that if you waited and looked around you would win out. Having said that there is nothing wrong with older snakes (Skittles was 14 months when I got her and I love her to bits), they don't generally have feeding issues and you don't have to muck around with pinkies.

If you have found a good snake at a good price more power to you. Hope you get a great snake, what breed did you does he have for you to look at?

Well I thought about what all of you guys said, and thought yeah I going to get a snake I really really love. So I went on the Far Sale part on here, and saw there was a Jungle hatchy in Brisbane, hopefully the seller gets the message today so that way I could have the snake by tonight :)

Well I thought about what all of you guys said, and thought yeah I going to get a snake I really really love. So I went on the Far Sale part on here, and saw there was a Jungle hatchy in Brisbane, hopefully the seller gets the message today so that way I could have the snake by tonight :)

Definately not the 'now' generation :lol:

You would have to give a seller time.... time for your $ to arrive and clear, then a day or so for the snake to be packaged appropriately.... then some courier time...... could take a few days to a week ;)

Oh god its true!! Im "Now" Generation kid lol. I resisted these culture so long to haha

I thought you were from the cement generation like me Captain... have a cup harden up and accept you don't get everything you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back