Ordering Terrariums From Interstate $$$$?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
I'm in Sydney & was interested in ordering an Exo Terra Terrarium from a reputable Melb. Pet Shop. The reason I don't buy from a Sydney pet shop is that most don't have a variety of sizes to choose from, whereas this Melb shop seems to have.

It's only an 18"x18"x18" sized terrarium but the shop's quoting me either $52 (2-7 days delivery) OR $168 (fast track) by Aust. Post.
The postage seems ridiculously high!

I had recently ordered a smaller version Terrarium from QLD & the postage alone was about $15.
I'd order from them again but unfortunately they don't stock the size I want.

Anyone else order an enclosure via mail?
Do you remember if it was that expensive or not???

When shipping something like that, you're paying by weight. Plus you're ordering from a shop not a company so they'll charge you whatever they want to really...
Fast track is that expensive because it's next day delivery which is always about 3 times the price, for anything...

I would be amazed if you could not find a 18'" x18" x18" terrarium in Sydney.

You're probably also looking at paying for insurance included in that postage price as well. The tank's made of glass, and transport companies like to use freight as footballs. "fragile" stickers tend to mean kick it harder. I know, I used to work for a transport company.

Most Sydney shops can probably order it in for you within the week - they likely just don't have the full range in stock all at once because some sizes just tend to sell better than others.

I would be amazed if you could not find a 18'" x18" x18" terrarium in Sydney.

Yes, I have come across the same size terrarium in Syd pet shops, however they're packaged as kits including foam background, substrate, fake plants,a light hood & water bowl THEN marked up at a ridiculous price. Suffice to say, I only want/need the terrarium itself.

- - - Updated - - -

/could always just buy it online too...

Well yeah I was looking at an on-line order. I clicked on one of the pet shops that advertise/sponsor here.

- - - Updated - - -

Most Sydney shops can probably order it in for you within the week - they likely just don't have the full range in stock all at once because some sizes just tend to sell better than others.

I understand pet shops can order something in that's not on display or on stock. But regardless of the extra costs of postage, I've always found it cheaper to order from either Melb.,Qld or ACT.
Pet shops in states that are permitted to sell reptiles tend to be cheaper with their accessories/enclosures than Sydney shops who only have a limited stock & think reptile owners have money to burn.

I understand pet shops can order something in that's not on display or on stock. But regardless of the extra costs of postage, I've always found it cheaper to order from either Melb.,Qld or ACT.
Pet shops in states that are permitted to sell reptiles tend to be cheaper with their accessories/enclosures than Sydney shops who only have a limited stock & think reptile owners have money to burn.

I mentioned it as you stated you were only looking interstate because you couldn't find the size that you wanted in Sydney...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back