Albino or Het For Albino??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your most welcome Buddy! :)

To be honest every breeder has there own little tricks of the trade that works for them... And these hints vary greatly on the species you plan to breed. If you want to breed Darwins then i suggest you chat to someone that knows their husbandry like the back of their hand. But breeding carpets seems to be pretty straight forward throughout the morelia species for the most part. Im sure you might be able to find a breeder in your area that would be willing to help you out. There is a book titled 'Keeping and breeding Australian Pythons' by Mike Swan which seems to be a bit of a 'bible' throughout the herp industry. It gives reference to breeding techniques of each individual species and even goes though incubation setups, temperature fluctuations and hatching requirements as well as growth and incubation periods and data. It retails for about 50 bucks but its well worth it. It might even pay to go through it first and see if your able to commit to breeding requirements. Thats probably the best advice i could give. Extensive research never goes unrewarded. Its good to see your aspirations havnt been stomped by trolls. Your a teenager. So have some fun with it :). The best advice Iv gotten from anyone is to 'keep it simple'.

Good luck!

sorry i dont know anyone with available adult hets but keep trawling...;)

will definitely get a hold of that book. Unfortunately I don't have any breeders in y area that I know of. Anyways thanks for the support and I will keep you updated on how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's great that younger people are getting into the hobby, and Tablemanners seems to be going about it in the right way ..... asking advice and learning from others. We should be encouraging youngsters, not putting them down.

Each young person who grows up in the hobby is one less that will grow into an ignorant adult with the old "The only good snake is a dead snake." attitude. Each time Tablemanners takes a friend home and shows them his herps that may be another more tolerant person who won't run for the shovel.

Good way if looking at it :D

- - - Updated - - -

It's impressive that you have a thirst for such knowledge in genetics rather than for an income. I'm just curious if you have factored in the cost in such breeding experimentation as well as the future costs of keeping the babies alive and healthy until you have picked which you are keeping vs selling? If so, then good luck.

Bear in mind too that while your folks are supportive, just make sure they know that your animal numbers and hence food, heating etc costs will double or triple overnight once the eggs hatch.

Forgive our cynicism, but I'm sure a few of the more experienced members have answered this question previously and the answers and results have not always been pleasant.

Good luck however you go

Hey,
I have made sure to tell them about the electricity. She said at fine although she is already complaining with 3 snakes so I made sure it was clear. Also I will only be keeping on alibi and not aiding any others apart from maybe one possible het. Thanks for the advice!

Hey,
I have made sure to tell them about the electricity. She said at fine although she is already complaining with 3 snakes so I made sure it was clear. Also I will only be keeping on alibi and not aiding any others apart from maybe one possible het. Thanks for the advice!

In which case it looks like you have started covering the majority of the basisc as well as future proofing your intended plans. Good luck and my only piece of advice going forward, Dont lose that thirst for knowledge that you have right now..

Because I love the way they look, To me they are amazing and I would also love to learn about the genetics, Hets and Paradox ect...

... And from the other thread you started on this exact same topic...

Hey Guys,
I have been keeping snakes for about 4 years now and am thinking of breeding some. I am aware of what dumb questions these will seem to you breeders, but if you could help me out I would be very appreciative.

1. If I breed a Het for albino to another het for albino, what will the outcome be?
2. Would Het for albino darwins be a good place to start my breeding? (If not what is good? As in what sells good and is relatively easy to breed)
3. Am I better of buying a proven breeding pair rather than two separate adults?
3. What else should I know about breeding?

Thanks heaps guys, just trying to get a bit of extra cash rolling in. That way I can buy more snakes :D

Regards, TB

So which is it then Mr. 'Can't See Past $$$ Signs'?

Plus if you started breeding, you wouldn't need the cash for more snakes as you'd aleady have a whole lot more...

Who amongst us wouldn't like to breed to cover the cost of maintaining our addiction?

He did say so he could buy more snakes, I'm also keeping my collection at its current size until they start to cover some of the costs.
Im not having a go at you, I just thing we all judge people a little too fast.

Breeding to buy more snakes is a bit of an oxymoron...

There is also the fact that with the costs involved in breeding, especially albino's, he'd be bettor off just buying the snakes he wants in the first place...
If he doesn't already know this, he probably shouldn't be breeding, and kinda proves he's only in it fot the $$$ - I have no problem with this, its why commercial breeders exist, just don't lie about it...

Dont worry tablemanners, wrightpython comes acros rude as hell sometimes but is making a valid point.

But i think if its waht you really want to do go for the albinos. Buying albino hatchos will be more affordable for you i think and yes you will have to wait, but in the long run i think it will be better for you. Have you got other snakes? if so have a bash at breeding a less expensive snake to start with maybe.. losing a clutch of albinos due to inexperiance would be heart breaking.

All in all if its really what you want to do and you have passion i have every confidence you will make it happen.. brian from snakebytes started breeding at 15 i think and look at him..

At least your still in school and can learn genetics in science and do your free projects on python genetics.. Wish i had that head start.

Sorry if this isnt relevent i only read p1 lol

Toby

What the hell!!!! is wrong with you people!???? could you be any more judgemental??? He's just kid!! and seems much nicer than some of the other pieces of work on this forum....

How is that judgemental? it's fact.
If you're breeding for the purpose of money, not for the 'interest in genetics', then don't say you are. Don't know what you consider a lie but is a pretty good example to me...

And how about yourself? Liking my post then attacking me for it!? What's that called again...?

Breeding to buy more snakes is a bit of an oxymoron...

There is also the fact that with the costs involved in breeding, especially albino's, he'd be bettor off just buying the snakes he wants in the first place...
If he doesn't already know this, he probably shouldn't be breeding, and kinda proves he's only in it fot the $$$ - I have no problem with this, its why commercial breeders exist, just don't lie about it...

Why are you under the impression that it somehow cost more to breed albinos?

The initial cost of a pure albino - even one is much more than most other snakes...

Maybe so, but you can get hets at good prices and still get the albino outcome.
The costs of breeding doesn't change no matter what the genetics of the carpet, you still need the same sort of equipment etc...

Jackknife- he already has a collection and doesnt breed.... in that alone he has a love for pythons.

what is your problem with making money off pythons? if you can make money off what you love why not.. Breeding classic macs are harder to sell than albino darwins..

Ii think the kid has a little business sence aswell as a keeness to make some nice pythons, learn some genetics and fund his addiction.

how much do your reps cost you?? could you support you gear on $50-60 a week?? Thinking mum and dad will cover it is a joke..

get off his back if you have nothing constructive to add...

JD

How is that judgemental? it's fact.
If you're breeding for the purpose of money, not for the 'interest in genetics', then don't say you are. Don't know what you consider a lie but is a pretty good example to me...

And how about yourself? Liking my post then attacking me for it!? What's that called again...?

that was kinda my point!

Who cares why he's doing it? If it makes the kid happy let him go. And if he says he's doing for genetic interest and this is a lie? Then i would blame him.... as soon as anyone mentions they are considering making from their hobby, all hell breaks loose and everyone gets on the 'self righteous bandwagon'. Dude! take some happy pills.

Hey everyone,
Just to clear everythign up I wont lie, the money will definitley be a nice bonus if I can make some. Saying that though doesn't mean I'm only in it for the money, to be honest with the money I make I was going to try to buy some different bloodlines and genetics to breed in future with them and hopefully make some nice snakes. So basically all I'm saying is that I wouldn't go blowing the money on whatever I wanted so as far as I'm concerned Im not going to be making money because the profit will go to other snakes and living costs.
Thanks for the support though guys, means alot.

- - - Updated - - -

Jackknife- he already has a collection and doesnt breed.... in that alone he has a love for pythons.

what is your problem with making money off pythons? if you can make money off what you love why not.. Breeding classic macs are harder to sell than albino darwins..

Ii think the kid has a little business sence aswell as a keeness to make some nice pythons, learn some genetics and fund his addiction.

how much do your reps cost you?? could you support you gear on $50-60 a week?? Thinking mum and dad will cover it is a joke..

get off his back if you have nothing constructive to add...

JD

Sorry what do you mean by Reps?
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back