Suddenly agressive :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmubzle

Reaction score
Hey guys! im new to this forum, but i'm afraid i'm in need of an answer to a problem that is beginning to worry me and there are lots of smart people here!

so my female diamond python (about 2 years) has always been docile to the point where i'm pretty much able to tumble her around in my hands without her caring, but just last night, before feeding she was really active.

i took her out and she was fine, put her on a towel (where i normally feed her), and she at her food. she stayed aggressive to the point that if i didn't want to be attacked, i would have to drag the towel back to her cage and put the whole thing back in.
since then, she has been charging at my hand every time i go near the tank. i put on a glove and picked her up with it and she wrapped around tight without biting me. she wouldn't let go. i took her to the bath and she slithered off my arm slowly (not into the bath, she doesn't particularly enjoy baths, but onto my other gloved hand) so i put her in the warm water. she stopped and lay there making large hissing sounds (although not aggressive). anyway i put her into a small tank while cleaning the large one (there is another male of equal size in the tank, although they arent breeding). whenever i move she lifts her head in a really aggressive way and seems really stressed :(
is this permanent or will she be happier again?

she went through a lot of stress today as i had to pry her from her branch and such.
If someone could answer this I would be so, so grateful :) :)

Two things I can think off the top of my head...

She's coming up to Adulthood and/or you didn't feed her enough... Did you wash you hands after feeding her?

Tobe has a few good points there, and could be either of those he's mentioned.

I've had young carpets carry on the same way after 18momths or so, but they eventually settle down.

Has anything changed as far as the snakes environment? Temps, cage location, noise, lighting?? Etc

I would say that she was still in feeding mode last night which caused the agressiveness then. Today she is using all of her energy trying to digest her food and just wants to be left alone. generally what i do is get my snakes out for some handling and clean out the enclosures before i feed them. I then return them to thier enclosures, feed them and leave them alone for a couple of days.

There has always been a lot of debate about feeding in the enclosure or out, I personally think it is just an old wives tale that it makes your snake more cage defensive. I always feed mine in thier enclosures and have no problems at all getting them out and everyone that i know that keeps reptiles does the same thing. I personally believe that feeding in the enclosure allows my snakes to eat thier food and digest without being disturbed.

I Agree with the above...
I always feed mine in their enclosures and have only ever been bitten once (feed response) from one of my Pythons that had not eaten in about two months.
The others that are regular feeders have never even looked like they wanted a piece of me.

I dont know what caused it but it happens, animals have there moods too. Best leave her alone when she gets grumpy.

It may be that time of the month. :p

If she was also stressed maybe I would suggest please don't put her in the males cage while you are cleaning hers?
If mine aren't stressed I'll let them roam around my head while I'm cleaning - if they're feeling snappy I'll put them in a box with air holes just for the duration of the clean.
A nice secure dark spot might be better for her when you are cleaning rather than in a cage where she can smell there's someone else...

I would say she is just hungry, if there were other factors involved, such as bad environment etc etc, one of the first things she would do is stop eating. I have found that not feeding your animals enough food lead them to be 'snappy', which really should read 'hungry'. You are coming into the warmer months when most animals would not have fed for several months, so they are basically starving in a sense and are trying to eat everything they can get their little teeth into. I would throw a few more feeds into her, make sure they are decently sized feeds and I am sure you will see her settle down.

On the feed inside/outside your enclosure debate, I have kept and bred hundreds and hundreds of pythons over the past 15 years and every single one was fed in the enclosure and all have been fine to handle, excpet for the odd jungle here and there...:D:D I follow one simple rule, clean in the day and feed at night when they are active and hunting for a feed.

Daz

Breeding age and that time of year... hormones?

Being of female gender no-one really has a clue.......;)
If anyone did then they would make millions...........8)

Not necessarily.
My Diamond feeds like a champ no matter what...she's a crabby b-word when she's shedding but she'll still chomp down whatever I wiggle in front of her nose!

I didn't say it was impossible, I said unlikely.
Some will eat no matter what, even when gravid, although this is the exception rather then the norm.

Thanks so much guys!
There is one other thing though. She bit me when my hand was near her, although it was a tag, not a grab and hold. Doesn't that just mean she's angry? What can I do to calm her down back to her docile former self? Should I feed her?
She shouldn't be hungry and she's just shed. She's about 1.4 metres long so not big enough to breed. Has this freak out been permanent?

Not that I'm any sort of expert but I wouldn't expect a permanent change if it's such a complete reversal of normal. I still wouldn't be surprised if this lasts through the month until the usual breeding season is past and that it is simply a hormonal flux.

Oh and a tag just means 'back off' scared/surprised/angry/defensive... like a nesting response.

I'm feeding her weanling rats.
I have a male as well and he's acting a little bit like this but he's never bitten me while not feeding and always been completely chilled :)

If she bit the way you described I wouldn't think it was a food response... If he is acting a bit toey too I go back to my original theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back