Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad news. You'd think that the newspaper would have got the photo right though (one of the pitfalls of "googling" information). The pic is of an Inland Taipan whereas those at Yeppon would be Coastals.

tough luck.........must be a cunning Tiapan to ambush a backhoe, it must be hunted and killed!!!! we cant have crazed snakes ambushing backhoe's whats next ambushing road trains and killing the drivers causing hundreds of dead cattle stuck on the truck

'ambushed'? yes, i'm sure the taipan was watching and waiting to bite a mammal far too big for it to eat... very sad for the man and his family, but terrible journalism.

The media hurts my head...
8-11-2012 12-13-59 PM.jpg

(Yes I know, not the greatest...)

They avoid people given the chance. I met a coastal T out at Cobourg a few weeks back. It gave me the death stare then retreated. I cant remember a single fatality in the Top End where the snake wasn't being harassed. Sorry for the bloke and his family.

Yeh steve they usually disappear like lightning,could sense the vibrations of a backhoe a mile away,ime guessing it may have been surprised while the worker was on foot some how.

When was the last previous Tiapan fatality? It's been a long time from memory...

I am curious about that as well.

I know that a certain person claims on his website that a guy died in 2006 after he attempted to catch a taipan with tongs. Although I have never seen any other information about this incident.

Did this actually occur? Have there been other taipan fatalities (in Australia) since?

- - - Updated - - -

And I should add that it is very sad, tragic news. My sympathies to the family and loved ones of the guy who died.

Yeh steve they usually disappear like lightning,could sense the vibrations of a backhoe a mile away,ime guessing it may have been surprised while the worker was on foot some how.

I think he would of been taking a piss to not be at the backhoe, though sometimes you just do it next to it.... What gets me is it took 3 hrs to find him 60metres away ?

Uummm no... We have had to pull snakes from under running D9 bull dozers and 40 tonne excavators. And as for those 'snake repelers' that vibrate... Yeh there a big fat lie!!! We use one for demonstrations and most of the time our snake crawls up under it and goes to sleep... lol

Out in the field, a lot of the operators have had snakes slither up right next to then tracks or cross their path...lol :)

Yeah how often have snakes been found in construction sites but surely if he was in the back hoe it wouldn't have taken them 3hrs.

Railway bridges are the best when they lift it off to rebuild it snakes galore. Sadly usually ends up with the vens losing there head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back