shredded paper as substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbest

Reaction score
im currently in the process of building an enclosure with artificial grass in it for my woma yearling but i know that womas like to burrow. Is it safe to put in shredded paper for him to rumage around in? any feedback would be great thanks

I know of reputable breeders that have used it for years with their womas without any problems... Umm thats all i could say about that. Any particular reason you prefer shredded newspaper??? :) There are arguments that the ink 'may' be toxic. Doubt it tho....

I work at a newspaper. The ink is 100% safe. It is soy based. Now if its not low rub ink, there is a chance of it smudging or smearing on yer snake.

You can go to your local newspaper or call them and ask if they have any stub, butt or end rolls to sell. These are usually the leftover paper on the roll that has had nothing printed on it. We sell ours for $1 an inch, that's quite a bargain seeing as an inch of paper goes a long way. Then shred it yourself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

its not newspaper i was thinking of, my work tend to shred a tonne of normal printer paper all the time and was curious instead of buying kritterscrumble or anything like that seeing i cant find it any petstores on the gold coast. Might just order it in if theres a chance the paper could be toxic. cheers for the replies guys

its not newspaper i was thinking of, my work tend to shred a tonne of normal printer paper all the time and was curious instead of buying kritterscrumble or anything like that seeing i cant find it any petstores on the gold coast. Might just order it in if theres a chance the paper could be toxic. cheers for the replies guys

If its work paper, just be careful of what printer ink or toner is being used and make sure its unable to rub off. Also, check very carefully for staples as you would be surprised what people try put through a shredder...

jbest good idea using recycled items just maybe have a trial before using permantly and just check it as others have said should be ok to use

I used to use shredded paper from work a couple of years back. I had a couple of problems with it.

1. It seemed to bunch up in little rings, so there was a lot of gaps in the substrate and it didn't seem to absorb as well as other beddings.

2. It left a lot of dust at the bottom of the tank, I got paranoid about one of my snakes getting a respitory problem, so I stopped using it.

Good point snipercap about the staples and thanks rsp I'm thinking ill prob just make a section of critters crumble for him to mess around in maybe coz iv gone to a bit of effort to get the terracotta artificial grass.

If you go to the kritters crumble australian website... go to shop, store locator, enter your postcode and it will tell you the closest suppliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back