Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calebs92

Reaction score
springfield lakes ,ipswich ,qld ,australia
DONT BOTHER COMMENTING STUFF LIKE "my friends snake ate the other" ONLY COMMENT IF YOU KEEP A PAIR TOGETHER

Just want to see how many people keep them together.
-tell what you keep together
-what size enclosure their in
-pro/cons
and any other useful information.

PICS to if you have some (enclosure/snakes together)

Want to have a pair keep together !

Hello,

I have four paired that I keep together.
2 sets of jungles
1 bredlis
1 spotted

I took great care introducing each of the pythons.
Everytime I paired I introduced the male to a slightly larger female.
I handle regularly and diet is strictly monitored.

They all are together in large enough environments and I have never had a problem.
=)

I keep a pair of:
womas
stimsons
darwins
together without an issue, I feed out of the enclosure and wipe them down afterwards to remove the rat smell. No issue yet. I've also had coastals together.
So long as you are extra careful I don't see an issue, I may have to put on my flame proof jacket now though....

I have keep my two albinos together since they were 4mths old now almost 12mths. They seem to be okay, havent had any cons as yet (touch wood) the second lot of darwins we got, we had plan to house together the breeder highly recommend not to, so we ended up making sep home for them..
U just need to really make sure that they get along, get enough heat & water etc.. Though you do worry that you'll wake up with died snakes (well i did lol)

I use to keep diamonds and carpets in an aviary together with red bellie blacks and turtles and lizards, never lost an animal

Why bother to be honest? risk an animal that is say worth so much $ compared to getting a separate enclosure for similar $$ instead of having a chance that you will end up with only one snake after a mishap. Accidents happen and there is absolutely no need for keeping together if not needed.

This mindset continually annoys the hell out of me. Easier to monitor health, feeding, shedding and pooping if the animal has its own enclosure.

But do as you feel and as allot of other people do and keep them together and keep your fingers crossed but just a fairly stupid risk.

i keep my bredli's together, blackheads, diamonds, darwins and childrens never had a fight. always separate at feed time and feed them in click clacks. they are all sexed pairs and get on well.

i had a extra large snake enclosure custom built. i could of turned it into a multi bay enclosure and kept them all separet but by only building 3 enclosures there is so much room and i have never had a problem.
View attachment 270270View attachment 270271View attachment 270273

- - - Updated - - -

reps amelia 014.jpgreps amelia 015.jpgreps amelia 016.jpg

Why bother to be honest? risk an animal that is say worth so much $ compared to getting a separate enclosure for similar $$ instead of having a chance that you will end up with only one snake after a mishap. Accidents happen and there is absolutely no need for keeping together if not needed.

This mindset continually annoys the hell out of me. Easier to monitor health, feeding, shedding and pooping if the animal has its own enclosure.

But do as you feel and as allot of other people do and keep them together and keep your fingers crossed but just a fairly stupid risk.

I keep carpets and stimmies together and the only negative I find is supervised feeding time rather than just throwing food in the enclosure and leaving them.
Frees up space in snake room, frees up enclosures, minimises heating costs and cleaning time etc.
Each to his own and in my opinion the risks are negligible.

maybe I shouldn't take my kids out in the car seeing as this increases the risk of motor vehicle death.

I used to keep spotteds together, for 4 years, always fed separately, then the girl tried to kill the boy, lucky I was there. We also had a pair of childrens at work that had lived together all their lives (they were 6) and the girl tried to kill the boy. We have BHP's at work that have always lived together and it is a constant worry to me. They have now been sold and the new owner will be housing separately. I should add, the spotteds were together 4 years before I got them as well.

Last edited:
Yes but murphy's law does not necessarily dictate that it will go wrong for every individual who houses snakes together, merely that eventually it will happen.
much the same as my motor vehicle adage.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to keep spotteds together, for 4 years, always fed separately, then the girl tried to kill the boy, lucky I was there. We also had a pair of childrens at work that had lived together all their lives (they were 6) and the girl tried to kill the boy. We have BHP's at work that have always lived together and it is a constant worry to me. They have now been sold and the new owner will be housing separately. I should add, the spotteds were together 4 years before I got them as well.

And how exactly did the females try and kill the males?

Well, I walked in and my spotted female was constricted around the male and he was open mouthed and suffocating. At work, the male, who was snappy as all hell, had a go at the girl and she responded in pretty much the same way my girl did. I separated them before it got as far as my 2 had. Both pairs were confirmed male/female. My girl had clutched before and the ones at work were sexed by the vet.

Well, I walked in and my spotted female was constricted around the male and he was open mouthed and suffocating. At work, the male, who was snappy as all hell, had a go at the girl and she responded in pretty much the same way my girl did. I separated them before it got as far as my 2 had. Both pairs were confirmed male/female. My girl had clutched before and the ones at work were sexed by the vet.

Fair enough I would consider you very unlucky

That is true but it is a bit harder to house snakes together when you have already had some bad experiences. If my snake fell off its perch I would put it down to a freak accident, if my snake killed or ate it's cagemate, I would put it down to me taking unnecessary risks. It may never happen again but, as I can't watch my snakes 24/7, I am not taking the risk.

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough I would consider you very unlucky

It seems, from personal and other peoples experiences I have heard of, Anteresia, although social in the wild, don't do well together in captive situations. Or, I am very unlucky, haha.

I house my diamonds together in an 1.8m x 1.8m x 1.2m aviary outdoors. They have lots of hides a seems to thrive in there. Being south QLD it saves me a fair bit on electricity as well

This comes up on the forum constantly and invariably the responses are those that tell you they've done it for years without a problem (and I have no doubt they have), the scare mongerers/finger wagglers and the risk-benefit fence sitting reductionists like me. I have co housed male female carpet pairs of same type age and size for long periods without a problem (jungles are supposedly perfectly safe to share enclosures according to "Keeping and breeding Australian pythons"), but would never do it with my BHPs (it may be pure superstition but as these snakes have no heat pits and feed on reptiles In the wild it makes me too anxious) or Olives (too dam big and over zealous feeding response) unless trying to mate.

I have no doubt it is a risk but the risk is small. However feeding is a pain when you have to separate pairs and wipe down, and there's always nervousness when I do it. I would save a fortune in electricity but house all my snakes individually now. I have met experienced keepers with huge collections who have no problem co housing pythons and the odd one with unpleasant stories of attacks, ingestions and feeding mishaps.

In summary IMHO it is a risk that can be reduced by taking measures but you have to weigh up if the risk of damage or death is smaller or greater than the benefits.

I keep breeding pairs together (jungles, bredli's maculosa, ssp. i keep together in pairs all year), rest is kept seperately, i feed everyone seperately, species like woma's and bhp's i wouldnt keep together except for breeding season, outside breeding season i would keep them seperated.

Yes when my BHPs are hungry i generally throw in a coastal carpet to get rid off them ...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back