Food for thought

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricochet

Reaction score
O.K -we just had a thread closed because apparently we said something that was considered inappropriate. Does the cute / cuddly brigade win again??

Whats the difference between different food items for your snake.

Cats, mice, rats, rabbits, chickens and even some quail. All introduced species and all creating their share of environmental problems in aussie land.. Why do people get all bent out of shape when the "cute / cuddly" get used as food items. Some people like rats and mice as pets also but we are quite happy feeding them to our captive reptiles. And bugger me - I enjoy eating chicken, nice cuddly lambs and beef.

So I don't like cats - just my insignificant opinion about one of Australias worst environmental preditors. Why is it "wrong" to use this creature as a food item if your reptile can use it as a food source.

Please - I don't want to start this as a cat hating thread, just provocing some thought as to the reasoning behind the diffence in what people think appropriate food items.

I agree that rats, mice rabbits etc etc are all introduced pests. What's the difference between someone eating a chicken and someone feeding their snake a rat or mouse. some people keep em, some use them as food whatever. they aint an endangered species they breed like rabbits. I like chickens better anyway but I still eat them. not like their endangered or vulnerable...

I'll admit I love cats coz I have one and he is an absolute sweety but I won't start a debate about cats.

O.K -we just had a thread closed because apparently we said something that was considered inappropriate. Does the cute / cuddly brigade win again??

No, you got a thread closed because you made a trolling post to get a rise out of people.

No, you got a thread closed because you made a trolling post to get a rise out of people.

Dunno if it was a trolling post, but.................

Whats wrong with using puss in boots for for your snakes dinner. It's still protein from an introduced species.

Nothing wrong with feeding cats, I don't recall anyone saying there was. its been posted here before with no problem. In fact a picture was posted and people were very mature about it. It was a feral, pre killed cat. If you're reffering to the post I think you are the cats mentioned were someones pets. And were live

It's wrong if you decide your neighbors cat is a good companion for your snake. Not so bad if its a feral cat that was killed and due to be dumped anyway.

Its all in the perception...

It's wrong if you decide your neighbors cat is a good companion for your snake. Not so bad if its a feral cat that was killed and due to be dumped anyway.

Fair enough - pets are pets.

But if the next door neighbors cat is insde your house playing with your snake..............Game on :evil:

As you get around, get older and experience things you learn a bit wisdom, and with this you learn that some subjects that you agree on other people will disagree on, I personally wouldn't have a cat as a pet, but I don't mind if other people have cats as pets if kept properly.
As for using certain animals as food sources for our snakes, whatever it maybe, that is up to the individual keeper, but as long as it is legal, and if you know that by posting certain posts that mentions particular animals as a food source will cause fueding, then it shows maturity by not posting it.
I to have neighbours cats that are nuisance and I think of all the horrible things that I would like to do, but age and wisdom tell me to get a trap from the council and dispose of it properly.

Last edited:
When I've moved and have my large scrubby and olive and all the other things I want, I fully intend to speak to my local pound/shelter about the possibility of changing their euthanasia methods for cats (or even small dogs) and allowing me to use them as feed. I personally don't like cats very much (love dogs though), but have no issues with them being kept as pets, as long as they're kept properly. I have more of an issue with wastage, and have in the past fed pet rats (dead ones) to my snakes if they are suitable. To me, a corpse is an empty vessel, and I would much prefer to put it to good use than discard it. To that end, I want my corpse to be ground up and fed to my dogs, but apparently that's illegal. Pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back