neighbours dog wont stop barking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happynagini

Reaction score
What can i legally do? Its a german shepherd and they have the most annoying barks. It barks all night and im at my wits end!!
Has anyone else dealt with this? They are our back fence neighbours (culdesacs)'and we have never spoken to them.
Even our cattle dog and great dane x never bark!! (Except when the lawn mower first comes out :p)

Can i shoot it? Just kidding. But its tempting to shoot it with a supersoaker. Full of acid. Joking. :\

i'd write a letter and suggest a citronella no bark collar or a no bark dog school. and if nothing is done then ring the council.

common sense dictates this is where you begin before taking other drastic options, it's called being civil

Depends on the neighbour hood! If I asked my neighbours to do something about their barking dog I would probably be hit over the head with a baseball bat!
If ok neighbourhood then perhaps an anonymous letter to let them know their dog is barking (they may not be aware). If this doesn't achieve anything, a call to the council, who will get you to fill in a form, (well Brisbane anyway) and then they send a letter to the occupants advising they have had a complaint and they need to rectify it.
Most times a letter from the council is enough for most people:)
Nothing more annoying than a barking dog!

check out your councils 'companion animal' act to see what their stand is in regards to barking dogs, MOST councils these days have barking dogs as nuisance and as such can deal with them

i believe the owners are given 3 warnings then they can take action if the owners dont comply

if you think you can approach them then do so but we aware that if you do that and they dont do anything and you complain to the council its going to be pretty obvious who reported them so perhaps a nice letter posted to them explaining that your just letting them know that their dog is annoying the neighbourhood with its barking and send them a copy of the council 'companion act' so they know the law it might be enough

however the fact it barks when they are obviously home and they do nothing means they pretty much dont give a rats or they would be out there making some attempt to keep it quiet, im betting the dogs bored hence why its being a nuisance

good luck nothing worse then barking dogs..i have two and they NEVER bark yet every night i hear dogs all around me barking away and owners doing nothing about them

i have 5 dogs and they don't bark unless they hear a mower, thunder or someone walking up my driveway. only 2 react to thunder and so they don't annoy the neighbours if its late i lock them in the garage. wen its mowers it never last longer than 1-2 hours depends how long the neighbours take to mow the lawn. i provide toys and chew toys to keep them busy and they have each other to play with and play tag o war together.

i have respect for my neighbours and they respect me. its common decency.

i am sure your neighbours are aware their dog is a barker and that it keeps people up unless they are def.

i'd never say anything to them as said before if they do nothing and you call the council they will know its you and they might cause more problems

exactly saintanger, lots of people say to approach them and politely let them know but to me that just makes you a target, you might not ring the council and someone else could but you will be targeted by them as the 'dobber' cause you spoke to them about their barking dog

i honestly believe owners MUST know their dogs bark after all someone would have to be home during the night at least to hear them for themselves especially if the dog is a continual barker they cant fail to know IMO they obviously dont care enough about their neighbours to do something to stop it, neighbours use to respect each other but these days it seems to have gone by the wind and sometimes it can become downright dangerous, hell how many times have we heard about one neighbor killing another over a neighborhood dispute? sometimes animals sometimes other things

i personally dont bother dealing with anyone living in the rental next door to me, any complaints go directly to the cops or council, oh i did approach them once, they had reversed a car up the driveway late one night and had the music up loud then had to yell at each other to talk the computer room is next to where their carport is and i could put my hand out the side of the house and touch our adjoining fence thats how close the house is to them, i 'seethed' until 2am and walked outside and said 'turn that bloody music down, not everyone is enjoying it' and to my surprise they did lol, i then went back out and thanked them but in that case i think i was more angry then scared of them lol...he also has a mate who either cant reverse or is to frigging lazy cause he pulls up in their driveway then drives across in front of my house and the wheels have now chewed up the dirt so bad that when it rains it becomes almost like quicksand and even the poor postie is starting to get his bike stuck and the weeds have started to take over on the loosen soil..needless to say the council cant or wont do anything which peeves me off because i pay my damn rates and shouldnt have to put up with it

Your only two real choice options would be to either confront your neighbor or go straight to the council. Before going to the council I would just check if the dog is barking because no one is home and its lonely or if they are home and ignoring it.

My shepherds used to bark except I never knew about it until my neighbor came over and told me. Apparently they barked from the moment I left the house until the moment I got home but never made a sound while I was home. Now they only bark on command or if something is out of the ordinary.

Just my 2c as I believe there is no such thing as a bad dog, just dogs that reflect their owners attitude. Good luck

My mates dad slipped his own dog valium to shut it up personally I'd just either write a letter or knock on the door and introduce yourself, maybe the dog barkp while there not home, its common.....I use to play with a neighbours staffw when they went away so it didn't bark from boredom

Some are just not aware what their dog gets up to when they are not around.
Our dog used to just sit and howl at the gate all the time we were out. Until a neighbour told us we had no idea.
So go around and just ask them are they aware that their dog barks all night?
If they are nasty to you, then ring the council. But at least give them the decency of letting them know first.

^Seconded.
One of ours has been a mild barker in the past, we had no idea until we got a letter from the council. I couldn't help but be a little peeved that no one had mentioned it to us before taking it up with the council.
I later found out it was our b!tchy next door neighbour, the same one who later accused the same dog of "barking for 45 minutes straight" when we'd only been out of the house for 20 minutes, and he'd been silent before we left.

Unconventional, but maybe the dog is bored. I gather that if it's being left to bark all night it's probably not getting the stimulation it needs. If you like dogs, and want to try something different, maybe chuck a chicken frame or a marrow bone over the fence, see if that shuts it up for a while:) When I give mine bones, it's like I don't have any dogs, they all sit down quietly until they're done:p

No, please DO NOT throw anything over the fence to feed it.

Id be pissed off if anyone tried that with my dogs, barking or not. The dog could choke on it, or be allergic, it isn't your dog, so don't feed it.

Please go and have a friendly chat with them, they may be unaware (might work nightshirt) or be hard of hearing. If that solves nothing, report the noise to the council.

Id always want to know if mine were barking, in fact, I'd be grateful for being told.

I am not going to have a chat with them, because when my mum calls the council ranger on monday, they will know it was us, then try to turn around and say our dogs are the same, which they arent.
Mum called the police to ask what we should do and they said keep a diary of when it barks and the times it does it.
I got so fed up last night that I stuck my head over the fence and realised that it really is a german shepherd (i only guessed from the bark lol) and it has a small dog with it that doesnt bark at all, but they are locked up in their patio by a chicken wire fence and arent on the grass bit of their backyard which i think is sad, itd just be bored. The owners appeared to be home, i just banged on the colourbond fence and told it to sit down. It worked.. so why dont the owners or their direct neighbours care? We have a double block backyard so the dog is pretty far away from our house, would hate to be their immediate neighbours!

hahahahaah my mum actually put an anonymous letter in our neighbours letter box yesterday telling them to stop their dog from barking otherwise actions would be take e.g notifying the council.... it has seemed to work so far lol.... :)

If u know there not there just throw bucket of water on it...works a treat...cant complain about u washing there dog!!!!!! honest after u hit it with water a few times it will stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back