which Heat bulb brand is best??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessjary

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've bought an exo terra light housing 150w capacity in july and bought reptile one bulbs for it since we first bought it, But we go through one every 2 weeks and I'm sick of paying so much money for bulbs that shouldn't die so fast. especially seeing as they're only 75w bulbs because the 150's and 100's blew even faster.

The pet shop insists it isn't the housing but the bulbs that are causing the problem for us.

Can anyone recommend a better brand for heat bulbs/ceramic/basking?? I'm over spending so much money on bulbs that just blow up.

I use the Reptile Direct ones and they seem to last quite well. I found that it depends who I go to as well, there are 3 pet shops near us that have reptile stuff. Pet shop 1 is not very good, he doesnt even test them when he gets them and we had three from there, 2 were not working at all and 1 blew in 1 week. Pet Shop 2 is great, they test it before they sell it to us but we still found that they blew quick. Pet shop 3 rarely has globes which I find strange, they have heaps of reptile stuff but rarely any globes. So I just keep buying them from Reptile Direct and I have now had one that lasted 3 months, which is still a short time but my other one is still going at 4 months. I only use Pet Shop 2 if I have too now.

They are Infra-Red bulbs By The Way!

Last edited:
If you ring Brian from Herp shop, He is sponsor here, He will be able to recommend and supply for fair price. Reptiles Direct also advice you if you ring them directly. Phone numbers are under our sponsor list, links home page right site.

For infrared globes stay away from the cheap brands (like URS for example), I've learnt to buy quality ones like ExoTerra & ZooMed. Using a dimming thermostat will also dramatically increase globe life.

I get about 3-4 months out of Exo terra bulbs 100watt.

For infrared globes stay away from the cheap brands (like URS for example), I've learnt to buy quality ones like ExoTerra & ZooMed. Using a dimming thermostat will also dramatically increase globe life.
Agreed! URS Infrared=CRAP

I use URS globes and I have never had a problem with them.

When getting the bulbs out of the box and screwing them in handle them with paper towel as the oils from your skin cause them to blow faster. Good tip I learnt.

I'm pretty sure most bulbs out there come from the same factory anyway.

Theres an interesting article on bulbs here

thanks everyone. I should also say that I use the heat bulbs for my dragons so they need the basking light. I will try bunnings flood lights. I used a flood light with housing included not long ago and the housing Melted so I will just buy the globes now :) cheers everyone.

Approaching this from another angle I have found that a dimmer thermostat [ which has a constant lower current ] helps globes last much longer . A normal system [ full on , full off , full on ] puts huge pressure on your globes . Also ceramic heat lamps last longer and often come with a replacement warranty . UV can be supplied from cheaper , low wattage and constantly on blacklight globes :]

When getting the bulbs out of the box and screwing them in handle them with paper towel as the oils from your skin cause them to blow faster. Good tip I learnt.
Unless if its a halogen which the glass hits a massive temp, then it has no effect. Bulbs are filled with inert gas to prolong life of the filament. The salt/oils in your skin will only increase the risk for the glass to crack/break rather than prolonging the life of the filament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back