Getting python onto rabbits?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannydee

Reaction score
The first attempt wasn't successful but it could've been due to her coming into her shed cycle. Once she sheds I want to try again, but I don't want to waste another rabbit. She hasn't been a fuzzy feeder, she took a small chicken on the first attempt and went straight to rats from mice without any dramas.

I'm thinking it will be quite hard to scent a rabbit with a rat, as the rabbit has a stronger smell.

Does anyone have any advice, so the next rabbit feeding attempt goes without problems?

Cheers

What sort of python? What size rabbit are you trying to feed it?

As long as the rabbit is of suitable size for your sanke, I would just make sure it (the wabbit) is warm enough so the snake can identify it? I mean, with most pythons, your chihuahua isnt safe, so I cant imagine why your python didn't smash the rabbit?

I have had trouble with one of my spotteds that was temperature related..... it looked at the rat like was offering it a radioactive dog turd rolled in iron filings to begin with..... then I warmed it up to about 40 degrees c (the rat, not the snake) and the snake smashed it :lol:

She's a coastal and I'm offering small rabbits. Like I said, I think it might be due to her entering her shed cycle. Usually she will smash anything that is offered.
I defrost everything snake food related in warm water, then just before I offer it, I let it sit in hot water for a few moments. I don't think her refusing was temperature related.

On a side note, I watched your youtube video. It made me laugh when you kept dropping the rat! What a snake though to have as a visitor to your shed. I'm very jealous.

Because rabbits have long fur they seem easier to swallow when wet. I have noticed problems when keepers feed dry rabbits and the snake has problems swallowing as the fur acts like a spring expanding every time the snake tries to move along the carcase.

Another option is to feed a small rat first to initiate feeding mode then follow it up with the rabbit.

I've found that rats have a stronger scent than the rabbits I use.

In any case, when your snake is hungry enough it will take a rabbit. Just hold out on feeding for a while.

She's a coastal and I'm offering small rabbits. Like I said, I think it might be due to her entering her shed cycle. Usually she will smash anything that is offered.
I defrost everything snake food related in warm water, then just before I offer it, I let it sit in hot water for a few moments. I don't think her refusing was temperature related.

On a side note, I watched your youtube video. It made me laugh when you kept dropping the rat! What a snake though to have as a visitor to your shed. I'm very jealous.

He is still hanging around and so is another big one..... I take them down the back.... next day they are back again :rolleyes: I just check where they are when I go out there.... they just ignore me.... I just walk around them :lol: but I keep an eye on them tho :shock: A nip from one of them wouldnt tickle!

Because rabbits have long fur they seem easier to swallow when wet. I have noticed problems when keepers feed dry rabbits and the snake has problems swallowing as the fur acts like a spring expanding every time the snake tries to move along the carcase.

I've never had a problem feeding dry rabbits.

I've found that rats have a stronger scent than the rabbits I use.

In any case, when your snake is hungry enough it will take a rabbit. Just hold out on feeding for a while.

That's my plan. She's coming up for a shed, so I'll try again in a couple of weeks. Hopefully she'll take it no bother. If she doesn't I'll try getting her going with a rat.

I've never had a problem feeding dry rabbits.

We sell 100s of rabbits each month for reptile feed so i guess we get more varied feed back than someone feeding a few to their own collection. Obviously reptiles manage to eat dry rabbits in the wild so maybe its a result of conditioning animals with years of rats and then introducing rabbits after that.

We sell 100s of rabbits each month for reptile feed so i guess we get more varied feed back than someone feeding a few to their own collection. Obviously reptiles manage to eat dry rabbits in the wild so maybe its a result of conditioning animals with years of rats and then introducing rabbits after that.

I find that farmed rabbits sometimes have longer or thicker fur. In exceptional cases even the olive turned these type down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back