How old do you have to be to get a venomous snake handling course ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanna help people out. Save the snake from getting killed.

So you want to take them from the wild? Your profile says you own one spotted python. Maybe it would be best to get a bit more experience with animals that won't kill you first...

old enough to realise how easy it is to get bit by a ven and die. just sayin

I' don't know what the age regulations are in Queensland but would recommend joining a herp society or volunteering at a reptile park etc and researching a venomous handling course that may suit your needs and give you an introduction to handling elapids.
It's not something to be taken lightly but if you feel thats the path you want to take then start gathering all the info you can.
Joining a society will give you access to people that already own or handle Elapids in some manner and provided you have a good attitude someone will pick up on your desire to learn and might show you a thing or too. exposure to as many people as possible is a great way to develop your own methods and ideas on keeping and handling.
Observation is a great tool.

How incredibly negative of you. This sounds a bit like the argument people make shortly after they go for the shovel. Just sayin

Not negative. Honest.
It's not very cool to get a phone call from a friend saying that they are in hospital from a snake bite.

I suggest you go herping with someone experienced and and find some venomous snakes, particular black snakes and whip snakes.

I'd also suggest you do at Elapidaie1 suggest and join a society and ask someone to help you personally.
Someone who has little to no experience with venomous snakes should steer away from courses IMO.
Death trap.

How incredibly negative of you. This sounds a bit like the argument people make shortly after they go for the shovel. Just sayin
negative? may be.. but i just said what came to mind. better then sitting here telling him/her to go straight from a spotted to a ven. thats asking for trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Not all Vens will kill you, or did you think he was going to go out and buy a Taipan or an adder first up?
seeing some of the f**ls that are into the herp world today, wouldnt suprise me the slightest..

Last edited:
If you are in Queensland the minimum age requirement to do a venomous snake handling course is 18 years old.

negative? may be.. but i just said what came to mind. better then sitting here telling him/her to go straight from a spotted to a ven. thats asking for trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

seeing some of the f**ls that are into the herp world today, wouldnt suprise me the slightest..

Mmmk, and who told him to go from a spotted to a ven?

- - - Updated - - -

Has the title of this thread and the original question changed or am I imagining? Pretty sure it was how old to get a ven, not do a course?

Ok thank you every one. I Don't want to get a venomous snake. I was just seeing how old you have to be to get a venomous snake handling course. As i like to help out animals and want to go down the path. When i'm older i wanna try work at a zoo something like that. Since i was a little i always loved animals.

Has the title of this thread and the original question changed or am I imagining? Pretty sure it was how old to get a ven, not do a course?
his worded it badly in his first post and thread title , post 6 is what he really means , he just wants to remove them which i personally wouldn't even consider until you can identify all of the snakes found in your region and have experience handling dangerous vens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back