Stimson's Python Feeding and Handling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgreh

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I got my Stimson's on Saturday and he was snappy ever since put in his enclosure, striking at me from behind the glas off the terrarium. I let him settle and then put in some scenery within his enclosure he seemed really happy and has been out and about exploring. I fed him last night and all went well. I decided to try handling him for the first time today as he hasn't been snapping at all lately, however, as soon as I opened the enclosure's sliding door and pu my hand in he reared back and struck me.

I'm lost, please help.

hello

snakes can be teratorial over there habitats so i wouldnt worry to much ,just use a a pair of gloves if ur worried or a reptile hook ,once out there usually good .

Give it a few days after feeding then handle and its a stimmi its not like its gunna leave scars even if it does latch on

You got it on Saturday, and then put new stuff in his enclosure, then fed him and tried to handle him today and you wonder why he's snappy?
Let him settle in for a week before even disturbing him. Don't fluff with the enclosure, and definitely don't handle him for 2 days after feeding.

Patience is a virtue.
Get him out with a hook once he looks like he's settled in after a week or two of leaving him be.

hello

snakes can be teratorial over there habitats so i wouldnt worry to much ,just use a a pair of gloves if ur worried or a reptile hook ,once out there usually good .
Plz no gloves its a stimi....give it a week and it will settle...make sure its well fed as it must have been under fed if its already eaten for u since sat?...how big is the stimi and what did u feed it cause once a stimi is satisfied they r normally a easy going rep

my bad no gloves .....use a hook if u must

hello

Snakes aren't territorial, they get defensive because they feel cornered and threatened. :)

Just give ur stimmy another few days to settle down fully. After he has settled down start doing short periods of handling each day, he will eventually tame down (if its not food related). Dont worry about being bitten, it really doesnt hurt and wont even leave a mark. :)

Last edited:
I was told to feed him the day after I got him, and to handle him as soon and as much as possible by the owner. Soon enough I just put my hand in and got him out, he was lovely to handle. I'll post some picture later

Just go in steady, dont flinch or second guess.

Simply put. The more you handle the calmer he will become.
my little carpet was wild about a month ago and has only just started calming down, but u can notice the difference in his body language, only really grumpy now when getting him out. I found going outside to to different room to let him find new smells and it really helps him take his attention away from me and eventually doesn't mind me moving him around and holding him.

Every month or two do a full clean and change stuff around to introduce new smells and ect.

Last edited:
just use your finger to search for poo poke everything in there until you feel something squidgee

You should definitely know when he poos...kinda hard to miss a big lump. What kind of substrate are you using that you need to go searching for it?

Hi ive got some Stimpsons also here are some of my mistakes you can learn from-
Be confident, it dosent hurt (much) if they tag you
Dont second guess when handling-JUST DO IT
Over the handling sessions,work your way up to the head, eventually you can gently grab the head for health checks.
Put your snake in a plastic tub/ shoe box to feed it. This helps to lower the aggression while in tank.
Enjoy yourself!! Otherwise your snake will pick up on your mood and become agitated. (this ones not a biggie, just my opinion :) )

Feed in Tub....sry disagree...y??????...Duck.................................been here before and honestly there is no point...if a snake is cage defensive then defensive it is (lets face it its comfortable and u come and grab it out) the good ones tolerate the others BITE!!!!.....JMO
Ta
Pete

- - - Updated - - -

Ps..we talking about Stimis here also so jeeeeeeeeeeez

Feed in Tub....sry disagree...y??????...Duck.................................been here before and honestly there is no point...if a snake is cage defensive then defensive it is (lets face it its comfortable and u come and grab it out) the good ones tolerate the others BITE!!!!.....JMO
Ta
Pete

- - - Updated - - -

^ agreed.
Feeding tubs or not is all personal preference but the majority of us find no problems feeding in tanks! My girls can tell the difference between play time and feed time, I've never been bitten and never had a problem.

Ta
Pete

- - - Updated - - -

+1 there is no need to feed in a plastic tub. They can tell what is a food item or not, unless you startle them, or smell like a rodent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back