Renting with reptiles in units

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nch90

Reaction score
Hey guys currently started renting a unit I've got a few snakes and lizards but am unsure whether to tell the real estate or wait til they come for an inspection to check on the unit as they say they come in 4 times a year have you guys had any trouble with real estate and reptiles cheers
nathan

I'm renting also I have 1 ackie, 2 tarantula's and 1 frog on display
had an inspection about 3 weeks ago he walked straight past them and just said there pretty but I Also had 3 snakes in the cupboard because there not allowed to look in them just I case the snakes were a little over the top lol

What does your rental agreement say about pets? I would make it known that you have reptiles mate, buts be straight up and honest about it.

I have rented heaps of places and had fish tanks, birds and reptiles before. Most real estates that specify no pets, generally mean cats and dogs, but you really should ask the real estate just in passing if the no pets provision includes tanks and cages? Perhaps say you have a budgie or little fish tank (at your mums/friends place) and you wouldnt mind bringing it home. If they say no, definately not..... then you will have to hide your animals when inspections are scheduled.

You wouldnt need to hide the enclosures.... just the animals.... make the enclosure look like a display cabinet by removing the animals and anything related (water bowls/hides/ fake grass/substrate) and putting in something displayable..... model cars? A TV and say the big enclosure is actually a TV cabinet? :lol: Basically disguise the enclosures as something other than an enclosure :)

Your snakes and lizards wouldnt mind being in tubs in a closet or something for a couple of hours ;)

Thanks for the replys guys I was thinking of moving all my enclosure in the garage as they said they will give us a week notice but its such a hassle I most certainly will write a letter to the real estate stating about tanks thanks again guys

Everywhere I have rented, the agent has to give you 2 weeks notice prior to inspection..... they cant drop in any time.... depends on your state laws I guess.... wherever you are ;)

real estates are not allowed to look in your cupboards ect but wen mine came out i have a bunk bed with study under in and i have hung a blanket off the bunk bed to cover my study as it gives me privacy plus i have alot of paper work and i hate wen i have kids over and they touch everything on my desk. well real estate came over and demanded to see what was under it and said they'd lift the blanket as they 'had to see if the wall was damaged and i might be conceling it' i told her that its wood behind it and you can't see through it to see the wall. she still demanded to see it so i showed her lol.

also most real estates consider snakes as furniture as they are housed inside enclosures, plus they don't damge the house in any way.

maybe just have one reptile in view and see what they say.

Last edited:
rather rent to someone that has reptiles than a dog or cat. reptiles wont damage the property as a dog or cat could. tell your agent that you have reptiles and they arent removed from their locked enclosures. also point out tht theres no way that tey can damage the property

Saintanger not a bad idea just leaving a sheet over it I believe they would be sticky beaks but

real estates are not allowed to look in your cupboards ect but wen mine came out i have a bunk bed with study under in and i have hung a blanket off the bunk bed to cover my study as it gives me privacy plus i have alot of paper work and i hate wen i have kids over and they touch everything on my desk. well real estate came over and demanded to see what was under it and said they'd lift the blanket as they 'had to see if the wall was damaged and i might be conceling it' i told her that its would behind it and you can't see through it to see the wall. she still demanded to see it so i whowed her lol.

also most real estates consider snakes as furniture as they are housed inside enclosures, plus they don't damge the house in any way.

maybe just have one reptile in view and see what they say.
I read that several times, still doesn't make sense to me

Last place I rented they said pets under approval,I showed them a copy of my licence and said under reps "various' as my quantities change.They also were impressed with my letter regarding the regulations and my conditions regarding keeping reps under QLD law.

Rather than risking opening a can of worms.... I would just let sleeping dogs lie, do your best to keep the animals out of sight when they are going to inspect. I thought agents could only inspect 6 monthly.... unless you give them cause to need to inspect more often?

If you get busted.... just plead insanity :shock: (it worked for me ;))

I asked numerous rental properties if I could keep pythons...answers came up BIG FAT NO's. Easiest thing would be just not to tell them, and let them come inspect. If it's a problem first time around just shift them temporarily when the inspections do come up. I was told we were DEFINITELY NOT allowed them when I first moved to my current place, but they didn't even NOTICE when they came to do inspections (but they noticed my windows weren't clean enough?!)

I wouldn't bother declaring them, just have them out in their usual display enclosures at inspection time. If they say you can't have them, just say you'd never had a problem before as they'd always been considered furniture, but you'll get rid of them straight away. Come inspection time, re-arrange a little so it's not obvious that the enclosures are still there (put blankets or table cloths over them, or put cupboard doors on them if you can, that way they're not allowed to open them:))

my real estate inspects every 3 months apparently thats their policy and they always bring a camera with them and take photos of everything plus some times 2 of them come out and the land lord comes with them so i have 3 people walking through my house taking photos lifting blankets ect

really peeves me off

my real estate inspects every 3 months apparently thats their policy and they always bring a camera with them and take photos of everything plus some times 2 of them come out and the land lord comes with them so i have 3 people walking through my house taking photos lifting blankets ect

really peeves me off

Go to an adult shop and buy lots of toys.... blow up dolls.... etc and put them under blankets and things they may pick up :shock:

I would be talking to the rental ombudsman if I were you.... seriously.... that is a total breach of privacy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back