Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this logic, heat emitters do not emit UV so i'm not sure why you would even bring up things like D3...?

Also, a heat emitter suitably controlled by a thermostat by no mean blasts the reptile with heat that leaves them feeling 'sunburnt'. On the contrary, i use a heat emitter for my python and on placing my hand under the emitter i certainly do not feel the sort of heat that you claim. Rather, i get a warm basking spot and a gentle heat gradient throughout the rest of the enclosure.

In fact, i would argue that heat emitters may be useful for more arboreal snakes who don't tend to spend all that much time on the ground (where the heat mat would presumably be located).

My logic is that in my untrained opinion from what I have read, it is not critical for most pythons to have either a basking light, nor a UV light. (The opposite for lizards/monitors because they get thier D3 from uv, whereas pythons get it from thier food)

Your heat emitter must be different from the one I have, mine is 100w and when it is on, the heat I feel from it at 40cm (the height of the enclosure it was in, face of emitter to floor of enclosure) is quite harsh (to me.... my own opinion). I am very happy for you, that you are happy with your set up.... thats great.

I find that heatmats heat my arboreal snakes really well (heat rises) and due to the cost of electricity these days, I would much rather continue using my 6 (2 x 15w and 4 x 20w) heatpads to heat my enclosures (if all on at same time = 140w) than 6 emitters (100w x 6 = 600w) as well as the cost of purchasing 6 better progressive thermostats, 6 heavy duty, heat resistant light fittings, 6 protective cages (which can get hot enough to burn a snake.... again, simply my own opinion) Then I would have to mount the lights in the enclosures which take up room..... So I personally prefer and reccommend heat mats correctly placed with no rocks or heavy objects (hides) on them, digging in....

My snakes (in my signature) spend time in thier branches, time in thier hides.....whatever takes thier fancy at the time. They seem very happy with the setup.

My oldest heatmat is 4 years old and still soldiering on..... I am very happy with my set ups and the low cost of running them, and I am happy for you that you are equally happy with yours ;)

My logic is that in my untrained opinion from what I have read, it is not critical for most pythons to have either a basking light, nor a UV light. (The opposite for lizards/monitors because they get thier D3 from uv, whereas pythons get it from thier food)

Your heat emitter must be different from the one I have, mine is 100w and when it is on, the heat I feel from it at 40cm (the height of the enclosure it was in, face of emitter to floor of enclosure) is quite harsh (to me.... my own opinion). I am very happy for you, that you are happy with your set up.... thats great.

Yes, but i don't get why you would bring it up since the OP never stated that they were using UV lights...?

I use a 60 watt heat emitter to get this sort of heat, though my enclosure is only 2 foot (tall). If you are unhappy with the level of heat output from your heat emitter perhaps it could be worth trying a lower wattage bulb.

Yes, but i don't get why you would bring it up since the OP never stated that they were using UV lights...?

I use a 60 watt heat emitter to get this sort of heat, though my enclosure is only 2 foot (tall). If you are unhappy with the level of heat output from your heat emitter perhaps it could be worth trying a lower wattage bulb.

I clearly stated that in my opinion, it is not critical for most pythons to have EITHER basking light, NOR (which means 'or') uv lights,. I mentioned these because they are radiating heat sources same as an emitter.

I am so happy for you that you are happy with your heat emitter..... I dont want to use one, I am happy with my heatmats. You see, people have different opinions.... wonderful isnt it ;) Terribly sorry my opinion is different from yours :cry:;)

I clearly stated that in my opinion, it is not critical for most pythons to have EITHER basking light, NOR (which means 'or') uv lights,. I mentioned these because they are radiating heat sources same as an emitter.

I am so happy for you that you are happy with your heat emitter..... I dont want to use one, I am happy with my heatmats. You see, people have different opinions.... wonderful isnt it ;) Terribly sorry my opinion is different from yours :cry:;)

Wow, how unnecessary.

As far as i know, UVB lighting does not emit heat.

You said that you were unhappy with the heat generated by your heat emitter, so i suggested that perhaps switching to lower wattage bulb might help. I was in no way trying to force my opinion upon you as you seem to imply and instead of being civil you behave like child.

By the way, it's neither... nor...

thanks for letting us know, i had one of my ceramic fittings cause a brand new bulb blow up. and the ceramic fitting doesn't work now. please PM e what company you bought yours from.

there was broken glass all through my darwins enclosure.

he was asleep directly under it, had shattered glass all over him but he was ok, not one cut thank god. i was preety peeved off though.

he was asleep directly under it, had shattered glass all over him but he was ok, not one cut thank god. i was preety peeved off though.

Wow, thats terrible :shock: Hopefully the cage around the bulb would have caught the big hot bits of glass that otherwise could have done him some nasty injury.... whew!

yeah it did but still littles bits were all over him and the enclosure and if he had decided to slither over them would of cut him.

Who heats a spotties enclosure with an emitter? Waste of energy (and $) to me??

I have 5 heatmats and one heatcord all with thermostats. I have never had an issue with any of them, great temp gradient.... totally happy with them.

You're in Queensland, not everyone shares your climate - we all want to save on electricity but try heating enclosures with low wattage coils in the cooler southern states, especially in winter.

You're in Queensland, not everyone shares your climate - we all want to save on electricity but try heating enclosures with low wattage coils in the cooler southern states, especially in winter.

I only moved to Qld a year ago.... before that I was in southern NSW and Canberra where it gets to -8 to -12 degrees in winter:rolleyes: These are the same heatmats and enclosures. They worked fine down there for many years, and that was in houses without central heating. They work fine up here also. I definately reckon thermostatically controlled heatmats or cords are the way to go for most pythons. But that is just my opinion.

Maybe you could think of an even smarter comment for your 13th post?;)

have the electrial connections checked if you keep having fitting fail. it could be the wrong size wire used causing the fitting to over heat causig it to fail

have the electrial connections checked if you keep having fitting fail. it could be the wrong size wire used causing the fitting to over heat causig it to fail

Please read the whole thread and what I actually wrote.
It is 1 company!!!!

I have been using Reptile Direct items as well as the faulty items(these are NOT by Reptile Direct!) and the reptile direct ones are great, they last for months, the ceramic fittings are great, I am extremely happy with their stuff.
So it is not my wiring, it is not the connections, it is the actual things itself. I contacted the company with these faulty items and have still not heard anything.

MODS - This can be locked, thank you! I am only letting people know... and all this has done is caused arguments, please lock this thread!

Please read the whole thread and what I actually wrote.
It is 1 company!!!!

I have been using Reptile Direct items as well as the faulty items(these are NOT by Reptile Direct!) and the reptile direct ones are great, they last for months, the ceramic fittings are great, I am extremely happy with their stuff.
So it is not my wiring, it is not the connections, it is the actual things itself. I contacted the company with these faulty items and have still not heard anything.

MODS - This can be locked, thank you! I am only letting people know... and all this has done is caused arguments, please lock this thread!

BH, Wranga didn't suggest it was your wiring? He simply stated it would be a good idea to check 'the wiring' because it can cause bulbs to blow?

Dont buy inferior light fittings again, stick with the good ones you know :rolleyes:

You asked for advice and every time someone offers you any advice, you go off at them like they are saying you are to blame or something..... If you cant accept peoples advice.... dont ask for any? ;)

Dude, I am not asking advice, I was letting people know what happened.
If I was asking advice, I would listen well in this case read what people have said.
(Plus I am nervous about asking advice on here after the advice I did get..about 4 months ago which killed one of my dragons)
So I do listen to peoples advice, but I am not asking advice, as the title says... [h=1]Watch What You Buy - Reptile Items[/h]
I am not asking if people can tell me what is wrong and by the 7 messages I have received 3 of them have had the same problem with the same company.

Dudette, You must realise by now alot of people on here like to help? If you post anything, you will more than likely get offered advice from caring people ;) Grow up and get over it :rolleyes:

Actually most people on here criticise me, hence the defensiveness...
I would prefer to stay myself and not grow up if thats alright with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back