humidity % question?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pythons Rule

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi there this is my first year having bhp eggs, I'm pretty sure I read in the breeding australia pythons book that you need a dryer mix if artifical incubating, I have a incubator thats easy to set up if the eggs start looking like the humidity needs to be higher otherwise the nest box has a thermometer/hydrometer set up too. at the moment I persume she's been sitting on them for 5-6weeks now as i haven't seen her much and she showed loose skin around this time, and there all white no mould and the top egg moved, I only found her on eggs about 6 days ago persumed she wasn't gravid. anyway this question is can ya have a look at the eggs I moved her slightly just the count them and take 1 photo. she is completely wrapped around them normally, and tell me if you think they need more humidity please. humidity in the nest box is 75% stable and tempreture is 29.5-31.5 depending on how hot it is during the day.

View attachment 270466

thank you

I'd put a large water bowl in there, and a bunch of loosely screwed-up newspaper in the enclosure, heavily wetted several times a day, to keep the ambient humidity as high as possible.

Jamie

thank you for the advice I tried this but the humidity wouldn't raise so I took it on myself to take the eggs and put them in the incubator, they are now sitting on 91% humidity and at 31.0 degs, she wasn't wrapping them and they appeared alot depleted before removing them from her when I got her out they weren't as depleted as I first thought but yeah hope the top one pops back up the ones around it seem to have already started filling out. they all had some weight to them also so here hope they all hatch. there is actually 5 not 6 fertile eggs :) happy times

well I haven't had any mould this year which I am estatic about, the eggs have loads of healthy thick viens through them, babies apear to not be far off I've est hatch around the 20th-26th Nov. I noticed a small wet spot on one of the eggs last night though not sure if its from the lid moisture or if there getting close to pipping. the eggs havent really popped out since being in the incubator at 30-31.5deg and 88-91% humidity but there still alive.

View attachment 271026View attachment 271024View attachment 271025

Your incubator reads 33, it's a bit on the high end I recon. Eggs looks sunken which is fine if its near hatch time. Good luck with it all

yeah its cause these incubators are about 2-3 degrees off, the container inside the incubator is only at 30.5deg and only ever reaches 31.7 max, the eggs have always been like this since i spotted the girl on them and haven't plumped out with the extra humidity but still seam to be ok.

IMG_0412[1].jpgthe temps i get through the thermometers compared to the incubator

I would have left them with mum as in my experience you get a better hatch, normally 100% with maternal. If humidity needs raising she wets herself and she also secretes a mould inhibitor so you don't get any probs, incubators are only if you want to breed her again next year and then again the year after like some kind of machine

I would have left them with mum as in my experience you get a better hatch, normally 100% with maternal. If humidity needs raising she wets herself and she also secretes a mould inhibitor so you don't get any probs, incubators are only if you want to breed her again next year and then again the year after like some kind of machine

I've never had anything but 100% hatch rate with bhp eggs in incubator. Thats a weird comment.

I took them from her because I move in 3 weeks interstate and I'd rather get her feeding again before the move so she's much better off, that and she hadn't eaten for 11 months I didn't want her using too much energy and then not making the month long trip to new location. Incubators are great if you have the right setup, a proper incubator that keeps the moisture in and the bugs out. I have not had a problem with mould since I've been using this incubator, I had horrable time with mould in previous years which resolted in most to all eggs to die. but other people use fridge incubators also and have perfect 100% hatch success. I'm pretty sure most dont use incubators purely for breeding a female like machines its more to do with making sure the female doesn't get too thin and stay healthy.

- - - Updated - - -

thank you this confirms it :) thanx muchly

- - - Updated - - -

everyone has there own experience with there own breeding stock, no ones the same and everyone has there own advise its all ok. :) you may have better luck maturnal incubating your animals to incubating thats ok and cement has there prefered way of incubating eggs, to ditch someone elses way of doing it is just petty, all advise is most welcomed with me. thanx for the input.

- - - Updated - - -

there still cooking lol will update with pic's of babies in a week or 2

- - - Updated - - -

still in eggs stuburn lil buggers....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back