Girl missing, feared taken by croc in NT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She was seven and had probably been swimming in there her whole life.There are no warning signs where she lives. You need to inderstand that she didn't live in your world with traffic lights and warning signs.

Your opinion is ill informed and nasty
+1 she probably has swam there her whole life. Just like any kid, I'm sure she was listening to her parents.

and i state 'just because you never see one doesnt mean one isnt there or hasnt moved in

im from NSW and i know bloody well to NEVER go swimming anywhere in the NT even if there is a sign telling me its safe because stupid me KNOWS they can move into places they have never been before, a big male can be driven out of 'his range' and move to another and just because i cant see it doesnt mean ones not there, its not like they hold up a big sign saying 'HELLO MY NAMES GEORGE IM YOUR NEW RESIDENT CROCODILE PLEASE DONT SWIM IN MY NEW HOME, THANK YOU'

and apparently there was an adult there who SHOULD have been supervising but im betting they were in the water having a good time with all the kids
The seven-year-old girl was swimming with other children and an adult at a local waterhole at the Gumarrirnbang outstation

Read more: Seven-year-old feared killed by croc in NT | News.com.au

The seven-year-old girl was swimming with other children and an adult at a local waterhole at the Gumarrirnbang outstation

Read more: Seven-year-old feared killed by croc in NT | News.com.au

She was seven and had probably been swimming in there her whole life.There are no warning signs where she lives. You need to inderstand that she didn't live in your world with traffic lights and warning signs.

Your opinion is ill informed and nasty

Um Ratbag said she thought she was 11 so I when by that and nasty? I am not being nasty I did not say onething out of line on here that would be nasty I also thought they had warning signs so maybe saying I was nasty was not a bright idea. :rolleyes:

Sorry to mislead you Holly, I thought I heard somewhere she was 11, but I must agree.... even at 7, if a local too, she or the other older kids should have been aware of the danger.

As I said earlier, it is a terrible outcome, I am sad for the girl and the crock :( I hope both of thier deaths are not wasted and the tragedy warns others to be more careful

Darlyn, I dont think Holly was being nasty..... her opinion was exactly the same as mine.... I havent heard the full story, I wont open news bot stories on here because they always jam my computer when I do, so I have just picked up bits and pieces of info off here. But when I heard 'girl taken by crock' and all that, I immediately thought tourists.... signs etc ;)

Last edited:
Even if the girl was 11 or older for that matter does not mean they should have known better. I have little cousins 8 and 10, I love them to pieces but they are KIDS they often think and act without forethought. To infer that they should have a working understanding of safe procedures that they can reproduce in a practical situation when adults make the same and in some cases stupider judgements is an unfair comment in my opinion.

This was a tragic accident. They happen around the world and manifest from countless situations.

Predators are my passion and current career path, my gut instinct is to defend the predatory instincts of an animal, but sometimes we just need to call it as it is: An accident. My condolences to all those involved, I wouldn't begin to imagine what they are going through at this time.

I agree with you Crocodlie Dan it was a accident but it this kind of accident could have been avoid if they first off had supervison from the parents and also by staying away from the waterhole IMO.

11 years old? see she should know better then to go too a waterhole that has crocs in the water at 11 I knew that better in a lot of things and would know even more better that if I see a warning singn to never go pass that point. I can see she was at the ages of 1 too 8 then I would say she did not know any better but too find out that she is 11 sorry but she should have stay clear from that waterhole IMO.

i] There has never been a crocodile seen there before
2] There are no warning signs because no one knew the crocs existed
3] There has not been a shark attack at Bondi for over 50 years
so if someone gets chewed up at Bondi its the parents or kids fault???

Jeanine
So when you go to the beach on your annual holidays you never go swimming because a shark 'might' be there
You never go outside because a dingo might eat you
You live underground in case a piece of metal falls off a plane

There are hundreds of perfectly safe places to swim up North
Some of those places will always be safe regardless of how many more crocs there are

Last edited:
The number of fatal accidents that are the result of large predatory animals are almost negligible in comparison to road tolls, cancer, tobacco etc. Many years ago there were more people killed per year by vending machines in Australia than sharks and crocs put together (I'm unsure of the current statistics but wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't changed). However we are meant to live in paranoid fear of all the 'man eaters' out there?

I agree that the simplest way to avoid conflict with crocodiles is to stay away from the water, it is simple in theory but not so simple in application. I have been in croc areas were I spent a few weeks actively trying to find some living in the wild around the cairns region, I also spent some time swimming in some areas there.

As Longqi has mentioned the world is full of hypothetical hazards. Personally the things that scare me most in life are things like car crashes and cancer but even still I don't live my life in fear of roads or (some) carcinogens.

Well here what I think should be done they should put up warning signs too warn everyone that thier could be a croc in the waterhole so everyone is awear of the danger that way no moor kids and pepole get killed the signs will be seen.

How I took the news article: that there hasn't been croc seen in those waters so it was ok to swim! I have to admit I wouldnt have swam there either but I don't swim in dams cos they have leaches.
Holley35 what you are saying is place signs on all puddles or ponds not only expensive but puddles and ponds dry up!
I guess we should all stop breathing cos salmonella could be around. It's the way of life and the food chain needs to be maintain we die we feed worms etc brown snake bit my best show cow $1800 later she's alive does the snake need to Die! Well in my opinion YES but it is apart of nature and has the right to life. Unpredictable accidents happen from one small mistake but does make the outcome any easier to cope with.

Yes, lets put up some more signs, what a great idea, that'll fix it.........lets all be safe and have zero fun
Life is simply risk verses reward people, learn to deal with it

Wow no need for the attitude Iam saying something should be done about it so it can never happen again Zanks you can drop the attitude because thier is no need for it Iam not getting a attitude on here Iam only coming up with some ideas so pepole and kids stay safe don't like that too bad deal with it. :rolleyes:

Wow no need for the attitude Iam saying something should be done about it so it can never happen again Zanks you can drop the attitude because thier is no need for it Iam not getting a attitude on here Iam only coming up with some ideas so pepole and kids stay safe don't like that too bad deal with it. :rolleyes:
Dont take it personally Holly, the attitudes of people differ worldwide so Im sure none of what has been said is meant to be a personal attack. While you offer some good suggestions that may work where you are, they wont work here due to the difference in attitudes towards these things. We accept that there may be risk and as such, regardless of the sad outcome, we persevere and attempt to do better next time around.

Last edited:
Dont take it personally Holly, the attitudes of people differ worldwide so Im sure none of what has been said is meant to be a personal attack. While you offer some good suggestions that may work where you are, they wont work here due to the difference in attitudes towards these things. We accept that there may be risk and as such, regardless of the sad outcome, we persevere and attempt to do better next time around.

That was so well written thank you SnipCap and all the brochures have croc warning! People just get blinded but all the warnings and think it won't happen to them! My moto is if it can happen it will happen I believe this sort of stuff has always happened but because of world wide news we hear about it more. Sorry holly35 if you took my post to heart! I would like to fence in all common swimming holes but this won't stop the problem either!

I Grew up in Kununurra, and spent most of my childhood swimming with Crocs we swam in areas that were know to have populations of Freshwater crocks, but we also knew Saltys were capable of being in the same area. predominantly our swimming was kept to popular boating\swimming areas the high amount of activity tended to see the crocks stay away at least during the day.

there were warning signs up around known crock areas and no swimming signs up around known salty population. but as i said above there is nothing stopping the odd salty from visiting a freshwater area for some time, but its just part of the area you live in you have to be aware of the dangers and play it safe as you can but there will always be exceptions.

i distinctly remember 1 weekend swimming in a channel with my mates, the next weekend a kid was taken by a salty in that same channel, and that was\is one of the popular swimming spots for the local kids, its unfortunate but **** happens and as i said it just apart of living in that area and sharing the waterways with large predators

Well all Iam going to say is that I feel so bad for that little girl and for her parents I know if I was her mom and find that she is killed and eaten by a croc I just want to die and I also feel for her parents that thier baby girl is gone very sad. :(

Last edited:
I have the answer.
Everyone should be forced to move to the city, there's no danger there. Kids don't die in cities and there are no "bad parents" there either.

The fact is that when you live in the country you take risks that others may think are stupid.

Occasionally it turns out for the worst, most of the time it doesn't.

These kids are up there living an incredible life. Without being able to swim (no backyard pools up there believe it or not - better call DOCS!!) they lose one of their biggest daily joys. Without airconditioning, life becomes almpost unbearable really.

Personally, I think that most crocs are not people killers. There are large numbers of them living in close proximity to large numbers of people with no problems.

I Grew up in Kununurra, and spent most of my childhood swimming with Crocs we swam in areas that were know to have populations of Freshwater crocks, but we also knew Saltys were capable of being in the same area. predominantly our swimming was kept to popular boating\swimming areas the high amount of activity tended to see the crocks stay away at least during the day.

there were warning signs up around known crock areas and no swimming signs up around known salty population. but as i said above there is nothing stopping the odd salty from visiting a freshwater area for some time, but its just part of the area you live in you have to be aware of the dangers and play it safe as you can but there will always be exceptions.

i distinctly remember 1 weekend swimming in a channel with my mates, the next weekend a kid was taken by a salty in that same channel, and that was\is one of the popular swimming spots for the local kids, its unfortunate but **** happens and as i said it just apart of living in that area and sharing the waterways with large predators

"Bandicoot Bar"" (Diverson Dam), below the wall...used to be a great place to spearfish for Barra, until I popped up one day and was stareing straight into some slitty yellow eyes!

A mate of mine was riding a boundry once and saw what he first thought was a moving log heading across a saltpan well away from any water body. It was a croc caked in drying mud, likely following the scent of distant water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to argue or anything, but that's not true.

Correct, however 2009(I think) was the first attack since 1929, I believe there's been two since then. Regardless pretty good record really. At any rate he made a very valid point. When was the last time someone got ripped by a shark and everyone blamed the parents? Crocs hadn't been seen there before, and they don't occur in all waterways. Sharks however occur in many more oceans and rivers, we KNOW that. But parents still allow kids to swim.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back