I got eggs!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFear

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
i just went and checked on my reptiles as its been 3 days since I've been home! I lifted my MD hide and they both were in there! The boy laying on top of a very coiled female! Turns out she was coiled around a nice pile of eggs! Wooohooo

now it's my first time lucky with breeding and abit unsure on what to do! I have an incubator which I just switched on but no tubs until I go to Coles!

but I'm tossing up wether or not to let her self incubate!?

what are your thoughts?

cheers
jesse

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 195
I'm big on maternal incubate especially Morelia genus. Good luck ever way you go but if you do maternal just remove him incase she becomes defensive towards him

I'm big on maternal incubate especially Morelia genus. Good luck ever way you go but if you do maternal just remove him incase she becomes defensive towards him

What sort of success rate did u have with maternal incubation Writepython? The female seems be okay with the male!

I think you have more of a hatchling rate if you incubate them.

Blake

Yeah I know the hatch % is higher if I do it but just curious! I just don't want to screw it up like I have with gecko eggs!

What sort of success rate did u have with maternal incubation Writepython? The female seems be okay with the male!
One lot got 22 outta 22 another had 24 hatch from 21 eggs and had 11 hatch from 10 eggs so so far I've had over 100 % better than any incubator that I've ever heard of. The female knows due to millions of years of evolution exactly how to incubate them including temp and humidity and I believe they secrete a mould inhibitor because none of the eggs that I have maternal inc have had it yet incubator ones get it all the time. Just my two cents

Thanks for ur help Write! I think ima try maternal incubation!
so you really think I should take the boy out!?

And I no I should no this but how long should it take for them to hatch?

u need the correct environment to let her incubate on her own.
she's not going to do it on fake grass mate !
humidity, bedding etc got to be spot on........
No tubs ready nor incubator running...........got to be prepared if you want to breed and have success.

I know Mungas but I was not expecting it at all as I introduced the male so late and they showed no signs of interest with each other! I'm going to run to Coles now and get some tubs! I've got load of vermiculite and the incubator is heating up fast so fingers crossed I don't screw this up!

As Mungus said not an ideal setup. My favourite way to incubate them is to put the whole lot even mum into an incubator and just turn temp down slightly so she can still regulate the temp but not have to work to hard to do it. Instead of regulating humidity I place a water dish for her to soak in to raise humidity if she needs to

I`m no expert but if your planning on using the water method I think that mesh doesn`t sit high enough out of the water, too much risk of splashing the eggs. Others might be better quallified to give thier opinion

As Mungus said not an ideal setup. My favourite way to incubate them is to put the whole lot even mum into an incubator and just turn temp down slightly so she can still regulate the temp but not have to work to hard to do it. Instead of regulating humidity I place a water dish for her to soak in to raise humidity if she needs to

:shock:

yeah as Norm said the containers you've chosen, the tray needs to be some how suported high enough off the water to stop splashing the eggs etc. other wise a vermiculite mix would be better you can always still use the tray ontop of the verm if you wish to stop excess moisture forming on the eggs.

do you know how long she'd been sitting on them roughly?
and also get yourself a small led torch to check for viens.

good luck :)

- - - Updated - - -

wow thats amazing no wonder you love maternal incubation, but is it really classed as maternal incubation when you intervien and put them in an incubator anyways?

I got vermiculite mixed with water with the tray on top just trying the get the rite consistency!

not sure last time I checked her was Friday so could be between 3 days to 1 hours I'm unsure!

incubator is looking good staying at 30 spot on! Would you say this is the best temp to keep them in?

Just thinking With the trays could you put one on top of the other to sit it higher out of the water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back