Geo cache's ever found one by accident?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elapidae1

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Wen't herping over the weekend and happened upon a GEO Cache site purely by accident.
I was quite amazed but funnily enough had pondered in the past how cool it would be to accidentally find one.
Unfortunately it had cracked and water had destroyed most of the contents. But I thought what a way to get family and people involved in nature and a healthy pastime in general.

So who's found one by accident?
And, who does geocaching as a pastime?

It would be great to hear some stories.

DSC_1647.jpg

I found one by accident while trying to hide a body in the Blue Mountains NP, it was in the most random spot, I didn't know what geo-caching was back then so I thought it was really odd finding a box filled with random objects like chess pieces etc.

Where did you end up putting the body seeing as a geo site would likely lead to its discovery.

This one didn't have objects like that just a soggy note pad and pencil.

Never found one by accident, but the young one loves going for drives on the weekend looking for caches, or 'treasure' as she calls them.

Where did you end up putting the body seeing as a geo site would likely lead to its discovery.

This one didn't have objects like that just a soggy note pad and pencil.

Yeah I figured I'd have to find a better spot :p

I remember the one I found had a notepad and pen in it as well for people to sign etc.

one while looking for Nangura and P. kabikabi

What is a geo cache ?

People hide containers in bushland etc for others to try and find using their GPS units. Once found the person contributes to the contents of the geo cache either with a small item or by signing a note pad etc, leaving a little treasure trove for future geocache hunters.
Kind of like a continuing time capsule.

Ive gone Geo Caching a few times, could never find anything though, my gps was so dodgy then, unless the caches were taken.. its alot of fun though!
Never found one by accident.

People hide containers in bushland etc for others to try and find using their GPS units. Once found the person contributes to the contents of the geo cache either with a small item or by signing a note pad etc, leaving a little treasure trove for future geocache hunters.
Kind of like a continuing time capsule.

Sounds like organised littering to me.

We found one but didn't realise what it was. A friend then told me about it and pointed me in the direction of the website. Hoping to start looking for them intentionally in the future as something to get us out of the house on weekends etc. :lol:

Found one while out "sploring" with the kids when they were little. I'd never heard of it before then but after googling it I was amazed by just how big geocaching is! There are literally thousands of places Ozwide, one day I might even track a couple down now we have a Coaster :)

Last edited:
I've found a few also. They seem to be pretty old, I'm not too sure they've ever found them - unless of course they find them, record whats in them and leave them there?? :lol:

A mate and I used to go to extremeley remote places (usually desert country) and carefully chisel power points into trees. I realise now it was vandalism but it would have got some interesting reactions.

A mate and I used to go to extremeley remote places (usually desert country) and carefully chisel power points into trees. I realise now it was vandalism but it would have got some interesting reactions.

that is hilarious I wanted to find a power tree

I found one on a grave site in an abandoned graveyard in the Flinders Ranges. Was probably the most weird spot to find one.

I stumbled over one when hiking Mt Norman, girraween

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back