Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo2

Reaction score
We need some ideas on what to put in our enclosure. It's currently home to Slink, our blue-tongue, after the loss of Maggie, but that is a real waste of the vertical space :(

We're likely to go with frillies again, but haven't committed at this stage - we're looking for a lizard(s) that will use the enclosure space effectively, so it needs to be something that likes to climb.

The enclosure is 1.8m long, .75m wide and 1.2m high.

IMG_9890.JPG

We live in the tropics, so cold weather species will not be suitable.

Ideas?

Lacies will out grow that enclosure in a heartbeat plus i think Stevo2 is looking for something that can live in there permanently? i agree with sax, small monitors like spotted tree monitors or black headed monitors would be ideal if thats what ur looking for.

Last edited:
Lacies will out grow that enclosure in a heartbeat plus i think Stevo2 is looking for something that can live in there permantly? i agree with sax, small monitors like spotted tree monitors or black headed monitors would be ideal if thats what ur looking for.

Yep, something I dont have to go and buy another house to keep when they 'grow up'

What about Boyd's forest dragon? They're a tropical lizard that loves to climb.

Last edited:
Scalaris are stunners (pellewensis, the kuranda form), tristis orientalis, or why not a colony of Gillens? You'll find monitors(varanus) more active than most other lizards, although handling is best kept to a minimum.

What about Boyd's forest dragon? They're a tropical lizard that loves to climb.

I'm a bit concerned about the enclosures ability to cope with a high humidity/constant misting that these guys need??

- - - Updated - - -

Any enclosure photo examples of scalaris or orientalis? Would the enclosure be large enough for a couple?

Lacies will out grow that enclosure in a heartbeat plus i think Stevo2 is looking for something that can live in there permanently? i agree with sax, small monitors like spotted tree monitors or black headed monitors would be ideal if thats what ur looking for.
A heartbeat is maybe a few seconds, a baby varanus could live in that for atleast a year.

I would also go with some smaller monitors, Steve. Throw a bunch of V. gilleni in there.

A heartbeat is maybe a few seconds, a baby varanus could live in that for atleast a year.

I think you mean varius...

A year isn't its entire life, which is what the OP wants. Your suggestion was a poor one. Just let it go.

Stevo, this is a pic of the setup I currently use for my baby Lacey but it housed a pair of young tristis up until I sold them. It's 120x30x45. They used to love running up and down the tree branch

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 117
Any enclosure photo examples of scalaris or orientalis? Would the enclosure be large enough for a couple?

Easy as:)! Here's a similar size for Gillens and one for a young Lacie (only temp, though). You could easily keepany of the small/medium monitors in a similar set up IMO for the duration of their lives..

- - - Updated - - -

Easy as:)! Here's a similar size for Gillens and one for a young Lacie (only temp, though). You could easily keepany of the small/medium monitors in a similar set up IMO for the duration of their lives..

Attachments

• Sonny's place 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    Sonny's place 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Sonny's place 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    Sonny's place 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 21-10-2010 12;30;35 PM.jpg
    21-10-2010 12;30;35 PM.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 107
I live in the tropics too and have 2 beardies, they do fine in their outdoor enclosures, so if its Beardies you want, get some! (the area {centeral, eastern, western, etc} dosent really matter).

then get central beardies

I live in the tropics too and have 2 beardies, they do fine in their outdoor enclosures, so if its Beardies you want, get some! (the area {centeral, eastern, western, etc} dosent really matter).

Beardies = terrestrial

I'm after something that's arboreal and is going to climb and use the vertical space.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :D Keep 'em coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back