Diamond Python Breathing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgieo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Id like to welcome a Diamond to the family.

He is Feb 12 born and he is a good looking little boy, how ever I have noticed he appears to be breathing noticeably.
I haven't noticed this with my Bredli at all, is this normal? Just curious as he is a new addition and I want to make sure he is comfortable.

Cheers,

Morgz

My diamond has a slight hiss when she breaths that my other pythons don't and she hisses a lot more than the other ones. It isn't an angry hiss though, she has different hisses for different moods haha, It's actually quite helpful. It's never caused any problems. Maybe it's just diamonds, im sure other people will chime in. Hopefully this helps.

If the breathing is fairly noticeable it could be the start of RI/stressed/ overheated.

Once when I took my female MD outside on a faily warm day she started breathing rather heavy (and was very warm) so I brought her back inside and put her straight in her water bowl.

I put it down to overheating because once she cooled down the heavy breathing stopped and she hasn't done it since. Wont be making that mistake again.

If the breathing is fairly noticeable it could be the start of RI/stressed/ overheated.

Once when I took my female MD outside on a faily warm day she started breathing rather heavy (and was very warm) so I brought her back inside and put her straight in her water bowl.

I put it down to overheating because once she cooled down the heavy breathing stopped and she hasn't done it since. Wont be making that mistake again.

What you guys are noticing here is snake stress. They are frightened by us, and the body language that tells us that they are frightened is the rapid and noticeable breathing, sometimes coupled with rapid tongue flicking and hissing. When they are comfortable and not frightened by anything the breathing is hardly noticeable and a longer time frame between breaths. It isn't RI or anything of that nature just fright. Its not just diamonds they all do it. Snakes don't like humans and would rather not be handled by them.

What you guys are noticing here is snake stress. They are frightened by us, and the body language that tells us that they are frightened is the rapid and noticeable breathing, sometimes coupled with rapid tongue flicking and hissing. When they are comfortable and not frightened by anything the breathing is hardly noticeable and a longer time frame between breaths. It isn't RI or anything of that nature just fright. Its not just diamonds they all do it. Snakes don't like humans and would rather not be handled by them.

So do you think mine was stressed and it wasn't overheating? Given the situation at the time and taking into account that it was the first time any of my Pythons have ever hissed/breathed heavily. I put it down to overheating...

Could it be the substrate causing a problem? Its Bark.... I wasnt too sure, but thats what he came in and the breeder gave us the entire tub.
My Bredli is on Paper towel and has no dramas, and Some snakes dont like to be handled, by mu bredli is needy. He craves the attention..

It is possible that it could of ingested some, might be worth a look...
How long have you had the Diamond for? Any history of heavy breathing (at all.or when you went to purchase him)?
I use paper-towel as substrate when they are in click-clacks and coco-peat.when they are big enough for enclosures.

Oh not even a week yet. He is new. Doing all the normal things. Might swap his substrate.

My diamond has a slight hiss when she breaths that my other pythons don't and she hisses a lot more than the other ones. It isn't an angry hiss though, she has different hisses for different moods haha, It's actually quite helpful. It's never caused any problems. Maybe it's just diamonds, im sure other people will chime in. Hopefully this helps.

Not just diamonds, I've kept diamonds before plus various other morelia and I've found hissing to be pretty common through out all of them. Especially larger individuals. Not necessarily stress or illness.

Hey it's been under a week since you picked him up, he was living in a controlled environment having set temps etc also mostly covered except front of container so he felt safe now unless you put him in similar conditions could be stressing slightly, the container I gave you was mostly for transport, put him in his new home if you have one set up and leave him be for a week or more. Remember he wasn't regularly handled except when cleaning etc so he could be a little stressed due to that if you are handling him, if you need help you got my number give us a call. He has been on that substrate since a month old so I doubt that's the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back