smelly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeaal

Reaction score
Hello, Have just (almost) finished my first 3ft enclosure for my spotted and was wondering how long it takes for the adhesive smells to dissipate? I used large vinyl tiles, which are sand/rock colored and textured, as a background and a bonding glue (Sikaflex) to attach it. Used same product to seal/waterproof the edges of the enclosure. Was testing the heating yesterday and had the snake out, so let her in the new enclosure for a while to check it out. She seemed to like it - wee'd on the fake grass, which is usually a good sign - but I just was a bit worried about the smell. I don't want her to get sick - (or stoned) off the glue smell. What is a reasonable time to expect it to be gone and are there any silicone type products which have no odour? Thank you

Neither Sikaflex nor silicones are designed for, nor really suitable for fixing vinyl tiles. There are specific adhesives for this, available where you get the tiles. They are mostly contact-type cements, and I believe there are water-based, low-odour products available now. The solvent in Sikaflex might actually take weeks to fully outgas through the vinyl tiles, and because t5he space is fully enclosed, the buildup of fumes could very well harm your snake for quite some time.

Jamie

Put it outside with the doors off/open for as long as possible, and make sure your heating isn't heating up the tiles, vinyl and heat don't mix !
Got any pics ?

well, luckily the unit itself didn't cost me anything, so this project has just been a few dollars in odds and ends and some time and learning - so if it isn't suitable, no big deal to remove attachments, pop a shelf in the middle and use for books lol.

Attachments

• 100_1192.jpg
    100_1192.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I personally would not use sikaflex, it can take a very long time to stop stinking.
It air cures, so something almost impervious like vinyl will slow the release of solvents down, prolonging the curing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back