Renting with reptiles in units

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are rental agents OBSESSED with windows? Its completely up to me if i want dusty windows with penises drawn in the dust. Piss off!

Maybe the rental agents are concerned it could be misunderstood as a signal of something available, even if there isn't a red light out the front. :p

It's a lot of work to go through when you can be upfront from the beginning and find a place where you won't have to rearrange your collection every 3 months. I've rented a few places now and on all applications I've written my 7 snakes but added they were in locked enclosures. On all places I've rented there hasn't been a problem, just written into the agreement that they were to remain in locked enclosures. I had more trouble getting the cat approved then my collection of pythons.

Yea, thats all true.... the point is, it is too late for the op now..... the real estate might think the reptiles are awsome.... the agent might ask the op about how to get a reptile license...... On the other hand, it could cause a gigantic poop fight..... it isnt worth finding out now he is moved in... at least for 3-6 months.... prolly has 6-9 months left on the lease..... my reasoning is, dont open the can of worms just yet.... not even hyperthetically, which may arouse suspicion.... just in case it has a negative outcome.

Perhaps he could get a friend/relative to ring the real estate, pretending to want to rent something.... and ask if reptiles are generally acceptable to the owners.... they might say a blanket 'no' or they might say its up to each individual owner.... but at least the op didnt make the call and make them suspicious (if they have a no reptile policy)

Next time he moves... be up front about the reptiles before signing next lease.

Hey guys I am very thankfull for all your posts I grew some balls and decided to write an email to the real estate I took in a lot of what use have said and I got an email back in the afternoon saying reptiles are no problem I was over the moon thanks a lot every one know I can get more snakes :D

No worries champ wouldn't want to worry you any more

wen applying for rental properties i was knocked back alot wen i asked a few places told me it was not cause of my dogs or birds it was because of my snakes, either landlords were scared they would escape and be breeding in the roof lol or were to scared of them.

also my landlord comes out with the real estate so there is no need for them to take pics for him, he can see for himself.

and my real estate agent thinks it is ok to go through my stuff and take photos of my personal belonging, pets, tanks, enclosures ect

also last week i had an electrician ring me said the real estate sent him to wire power to the shed and wanted to be at my place in 20min, i was not home and told him 20min was not enough notice as i was out. he said ok i will come on next wednesday i said that was fine. anyway wednesday comes my daughter was having her afternoon nap so i put my phone on silent wen she woke up i checked my phone and had 1 missed call from him and a messagge from my real estate to call them asap. so i ring him and he said he wanted to come out but now was at another job, he only rang me 30 min before i called back, he then said he would come out on thursday. i then ring the real estate and the first thing she said to me was "Do you have a problem with letting the electrician in to do his job?" i was shocked, i told her about the 20min notice and that i was out, and that i missed 1 phone call and had called and sorted it out and he was coming thursday. he came today took him over 3 hours banging during my daughters nap time and now she has the ****s. I HATE REAL ESTATES.

wen applying for rental properties i was knocked back alot wen i asked a few places told me it was not cause of my dogs or birds it was because of my snakes, either landlords were scared they would escape and be breeding in the roof lol or were to scared of them.

also my landlord comes out with the real estate so there is no need for them to take pics for him, he can see for himself.

and my real estate agent thinks it is ok to go through my stuff and take photos of my personal belonging, pets, tanks, enclosures ect

also last week i had an electrician ring me said the real estate sent him to wire power to the shed and wanted to be at my place in 20min, i was not home and told him 20min was not enough notice as i was out. he said ok i will come on next wednesday i said that was fine. anyway wednesday comes my daughter was having her afternoon nap so i put my phone on silent wen she woke up i checked my phone and had 1 missed call from him and a messagge from my real estate to call them asap. so i ring him and he said he wanted to come out but now was at another job, he only rang me 30 min before i called back, he then said he would come out on thursday. i then ring the real estate and the first thing she said to me was "Do you have a problem with letting the electrician in to do his job?" i was shocked, i told her about the 20min notice and that i was out, and that i missed 1 phone call and had called and sorted it out and he was coming thursday. he came today took him over 3 hours banging during my daughters nap time and now she has the ****s. I HATE REAL ESTATES.

That's unbelievable, your land lord is supposed to provide minimum of 2 days notice for carrying out maintenance...

Maybe it might be worth shooting the following information their way

Factsheet 08: Access and privacy (Tenants NSW)

Who wanted the power to be put in the shed.... you guys or the landlord

Some land lords are awesome. Mine gives me all of his money and even let's me sleep with his wife. Also lets me do what ever I want to the house. He's just a really top bloke. Can't say enough good things about him really.

Who wanted the power to be put in the shed.... you guys or the landlord

umm the landlord, i never asked for it.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and this is the 5th time they have sent someone out with out giving me any notice and only 1 time it was me asking for the hot water system to be fixed cause i had rusty water for 3 months.

you could have called the agent stating that you dont need power to the shed....i am pretty sure the landlord would have been cheering that he did not nned to spend any money or mybe he needed some tax right offs

Back in the day....I was allowed to have "pocket pets" in my rentals on the Gold Coast.
So I had a goldfish in a small tank on the kitchen bench, and bagged my pythons (2 at the time) and put the spare tv in the main part of the big cabinet that the carpet lived in, and shoved folded laundry in the rest of the levels....and then for the antaresia - I took the hide, water bowl out of the massive glass-topped coffee table, threw in a few big shells adn VOILA! :) :)
Don't know *** I'd do now.....too many.
Good luck with it - and just wanted to add - I know a few real estate agents - and they could NOT care about reptiles at all. They just walk past them. Dog digging massive holes in backyards, and undesexed cats ******* everywhere seems to upset the status quo more than snakes and lizards - "they don't piss everwhere and run around barking at night." Use that quote if you need to. It's straight from an agent friend of mine. :)

you could have called the agent stating that you dont need power to the shed....i am pretty sure the landlord would have been cheering that he did not nned to spend any money or mybe he needed some tax right offs

i did tell that at the last inspection, that i did not need power in the shed as i rarely use the shed and there is a window and that lets enough light in wen i do go in there during the day. but that it was up to what the owner wanted.

they told me he wanted it done, that was 7 months ago. and now out of the blue an electrician turns up.

You have to understand even if the agents set things up and do all the right things they can't make the electrician or airconditionder guy show up when they're supposed to and give the the notice required. If you don't like living in someone else's house and having to stick around waiting for someone to fix something or being told what you can and can't do/own. Buy your own house and stop complaining.

they could have called me and told me that some time in the next 2 weeks an electrician was going to call me about doing the shed. since i offered more money per week than what they were asking for this property. i expect decent service. not much to ask for. they could have booked the electrician 2 weeks in advanced so they could know what time and day and told me.

also my partner works and i work part time but have an 18 month old and no family to baby sit for free so i can work full time. and child care fees are that expensive its not worth working. i was not born with a golden spoon in my mouth so i have to work for what i want. and buying a house is just not an option. alot of us don't own houses and struggle to just pay bills. i dunno what fantasy planet your on.

not everyone has great jobs or are born with rich parents, alot of us have to work long hours to get were we are.

When I was renting, our real estate agent was in love with our beardies. He knew we had snakes in the garage ("Really? That's different"), but he never went to look. He only had eyes for the beardies. Then, after a bit of quality time with them, he'd give our house the quick once over, tell us it all looked fine, then that was the inspection done for another six months.

Yeah guys they are fine with it I talked that much ******* in the email and the response I got was reptiles are fine haha so I'm happy with that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back