Breeding Snake Feed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the same person probably believes in cryogenically freezing themselves in a chest freezer to, doesn't mean it will work. freezing, drowning, i's all deprevation of oxygen leading to suffocation then drain bamage then death. not a nice way to go.

I like the way this thread is helping with my quail situation...

The problem with quail is breeding them all year round. That is if you are feeding young pythons you aren't cooling. I don't understand why people complain about the cost of rodents. If its that big a deal don't keep snakes.

I'm not complaining about the cost of rodents per say, I'm just complaining about paying top dollar for something that people keep in their freezers that get turned off after hours etc (read: ***** quality) and at the end of the day I was only investigating another avenue as many have done before. It's like the difference between buying your snakes from breeders or pet shops....

Thanks WrightPython I'm aware of the smell, it's quite rank I agree. I also plan on getting my water python to eat feeder fish to so smell doesn't really bother me. One of my main concerns still remains that does quail provide an inequivalent nutrient balance as it's rodent counterpart.

From what I understand spotted macs and numerous other species actually eat very little in the way of mammals in the wild.

As someone said the other day. If you insist on breeding your own then you should probably look at growing all your own food as well. Food for humans is far more expensive and the quality can be just as bad. I've never heard of frozen rodent supplies turning off freezers after hours. It certainly isn't the usual practice.

- - - Updated - - -

As someone said the other day. If you insist on breeding your own then you should probably look at growing all your own food as well. Food for humans is far more expensive and the quality can be just as bad. I've never heard of frozen rodent supplies turning off freezers after hours. It certainly isn't the usual practice.

Since they are a darker meat and since even at a few days old they have grain in there crop I would think they are better than rodents. If I had a choice between week old quail or week old rats I'd prefer quail

Since they are a darker meat and since even at a few days old they have grain in there crop I would think they are better than rodents. If I had a choice between week old quail or week old rats I'd prefer quail
What makes you imply that grain is good for snakes?Should we feed snakes chook pellets? Quail hold whole feed in their crops whereas rodents get it via their mother wher it has already been processed.

I assumed he just meant that they are eating real food rather than rats of the same age that are still on milk

Sax, I thought he might be exstrapolating, that because grain is good for humans it is good for snakes. The basis of most of these food discussions is that there dosen't seem to be a lot of information about nutritional requirements for snakes so its all based upon opinion.

In saying this grain comment, I saw a petshop in my area trying to sell 'Snake Pellets'.......made of grain. Apparantly it is more nutritional and beneficial to the snake.....Since when do snakes eat grain!?

Sax, I thought he might be exstrapolating, that because grain is good for humans it is good for snakes. The basis of most of these food discussions is that there dosen't seem to be a lot of information about nutritional requirements for snakes so its all based upon opinion.

Thanks mate I agree which is why I posed the question. The way I look at it though I try to keep the animals diet as close to natural as possible, just at the best quality available. Breeding skinks for the sake of consumption is illegal I believe? Which leaves rodents, fowl & fish. Anything I've left out?

I thought some fresh quail while obviously mixing things up, reduce costs a little and increase feed quality. That's if the nutritional content discussion is constructive.

I'd just keep breeding chooks but I've developed a hatred for protective roosters in small places.

Snowman said:

I do grow most my own vegies, raise chooks for eggs, if I had the room I'd raise my own meat to. For me it's more a quality matter than price, organic certainly isnt cheap.
The ugly truth with the freezers is it does happen, even with the human food suppliers around here. Usually a good giveaway when there are 100odd litres of water frozen on 2litre bottles in the bottom of the freezers to keep things cold when they're off. Silly thing is they don't realise their using more power due to increase the extra volume. Even with the fridges, all leaking water first thing in the morning with warm contents, surely it would use more energy to cool everything back down than it would if it just statically kept it cold?

The problem with quail is breeding them all year round. That is if you are feeding young pythons you aren't cooling. I don't understand why people complain about the cost of rodents. If its that big a deal don't keep snakes.
how true is this post !!!!!! (spot on imo) solar 17 (baden)

The ugly truth with the freezers is it does happen, even with the human food suppliers around here. Usually a good giveaway when there are 100odd litres of water frozen on 2litre bottles in the bottom of the freezers to keep things cold when they're off. Silly thing is they don't realise their using more power due to increase the extra volume. Even with the fridges, all leaking water first thing in the morning with warm contents, surely it would use more energy to cool everything back down than it would if it just statically kept it cold?
Well I know for a fact the breeding facility at Murdoch university where I get my rats from they do not turn the freezers off.

What I mean by grain being good for snakes is that they digest it so therefore must be getting some nutrition out of it I have never once found grain in the faeces and that means its being digested

Well I know for a fact the breeding facility at Murdoch university where I get my rats from they do not turn the freezers off.
'
and the end point of sale after changing hand from breeder/courier/commercial outlet? I'm not doubiting breeder quality at all. In fact I'm actually worried the pet shop rodents I breed won't be up to the par of professional breeders. Just my point was there are expensive pet shops out there...

Now to update, I've ended up with 2male/1 female quails (yes I see the problem it will be fixed with more females when I can find them). four female mice which was meant to be 3 female one male but two are already pregnant. Also a pair of rats definitely male/female and the female seems early on pregnant :?
So.... I figure if anything goes pear shaped at them moment almost everything is the right size to feed to one of my snakes.. :) just hope this doesn't get out of control!

Any more thoughts on the gas of choice? As long as it's inert I can't see the problem. Argon would be too expensive but nitrogen isn't that dear if you already have it...

Last edited by a moderator:
PC120252.jpgPC120249.jpg

Well breeding Quail sure does take longer than rats and mice lol I might go borrow someones rooster next time my chooks start getting broody I think.

PC120255.jpgPC120256.jpgPC120259.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

after some deliberation I'll just use the soda stream method I think, nitrogen isn't as heavy as co2 and argon is expensive, not to mention industrial.

sodastream is food grade co2 which will be perfect, I knew there was a reason that was the gas of choice :facepalm:

still considering the gas. If anyone is interested and hasn't already found it I found this tonight:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...oS2igQ&sig=AHIEtbS4w1_TN4hFUYwEwBfvvAVLH8Mqfw

It's published by the RSPCA, though if the link is unfit for AP then mods feel free to remove or let me know. would be easy enough for people to find but. It refers to the humane practices of administering co2. I just found it a good bit of reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back