Of Great Big Bitey Things

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy your tv and cotton wool Steveo2.

Not for me, but thanks :) I've done my fair bit of collecting fish and shrimp in the Darwin environs (mostly with Dave Wilson). I get out there, I just choose to do it safely.

Respect is important. All 'round...

Last edited:
Hey Steve

Awhile back I heard some talk of countrymen being allowed to conduct culls with paying tourists. Any more on that front?

Cheers mate.

i'm all for shooting things, been doing it my whole life, just wondering how would the numbers be effected if instead of a cull they inlisted professionalls to rob nests and take out a heap of eggs? or is the mortality rate in the wild fairy high anyway?

where can i get me one of them......its got everything,ya can spot them, ya can shoot them, cut them up and eat them with the knife and fork, find ya way back to ya boat or car with the compass and never loose ya keys with that flash looking key holder....

Yes except that we are also depleting the prey animals (fish) hence between us and the crocs there are too many apex predators.

We aren't depleting the fish. You don't seem to understand that a healthy croc population means that all species below them are flourishing. Theres more bush tucker around now then before white man turned up!

We may have caused the problem and thats ok
I agree with protecting native wildlife
But when predatory native wildlife is forced out of its normal area because of over population something has to give
and the latest attack is probably a direct result of crocs moving into new areas because they have to

We can say 'Humans should know and understand the risks if they want to live up there??"
Fair enough
But when crocs move into new territory quietly, where nobody has ever seen crocs before,
how can the people know or understand the risks???

If global warming does exist how far south will they eventually spread??

Lots of crocs died in fishing nets used for barramundi
NT banned nets in most estuaries to promote sport fishing
Well done NT
After that the population of crocs started to grow very quickly
Qld has now banned nets in most estuaries

How long before they turn up at say Frazer Island???

Before you laugh too hard at that ask a few fishermen whats happening
Northern species are being caught further south every year
So something is changing

Not for me, but thanks :) I've done my fair bit of collecting fish and shrimp in the Darwin environs (mostly with Dave Wilson). I get out there, I just choose to do it safely.

Respect is important. All 'round...

If you've been collectimg fish with Dave you have certainly been closer to a croc than you might have realised :)

Last edited:
How about we modify OUR behaviour to allow them to live as they have for generations?

So that would mean totally removing pigs, goats, cattle, deer, buffalo etc from everywhere north of Brisbane.
Then allowing anyone who wants to to spear them / trap them using aboriginal techniques.
I can see that happening.
Crocodiles (big ones) have historically turned up as far south as Brisbane.
With the increased food supply, I can see them turning up on the NSW north coast during summer. Don't forget, an adult croc is quite capable of travelling 100km in a day.

Me too.... got myself a new swiss army knife type..... multi purpose crock culling machine gun :shock::lol:

View attachment 271613

How da 'ell do you use that thing! Let alone use the knife and fork without stabbling your eyes out or shooting yourself in the foot....it takes a skilled person to use that!!!!!!!

We may have caused the problem and thats ok
I agree with protecting native wildlife
But when predatory native wildlife is forced out of its normal area because of over population something has to give
and the latest attack is probably a direct result of crocs moving into new areas because they have to

We can say 'Humans should know and understand the risks if they want to live up there??"
Fair enough
But when crocs move into new territory quietly, where nobody has ever seen crocs before,
how can the people know or understand the risks???

If global warming does exist how far south will they eventually spread??

Lots of crocs died in fishing nets used for barramundi
NT banned nets in most estuaries to promote sport fishing
Well done NT
After that the population of crocs started to grow very quickly
Qld has now banned nets in most estuaries

How long before they turn up at say Frazer Island???

Before you laugh too hard at that ask a few fishermen whats happening
Northern species are being caught further south every year
So something is changing

Some real good points here

I think anywhere they turn up is there normal area. We have no idea where they use to be before we got here and shot them out. Plus we have a burgeoning population that is moving north just as they are moving south!
Cairns is full blown croc country, and full blown people country. People will still enter the water regardless of the croc and stinger warnings.....and..... oblivious to the thought that who knows what moves around and goes up or down the coast under the cover of night. It is a real possibility that a croc could enter a Cairns beach or river mouth at night and not be there one day only to turn up the next. It just defies logic to see people so unwilling to change their activity patterns.

It's not a strange thing to say at all Lonqi, there are croc warning signs at Frazer now and have been there for at least 3 yrs that I know of. And yes there are definatly northern species coming down, the word is that they come on the warm currents and most probably never make it back as the water cools and they die down here.

I think this quote "something is changing " is the most poignant. The only thing that doesn't change in this world is the fact that everything is always changing! To me, this fact is natures own optimism, and IMO the force that drives this planet

You throw it at the croc and it becomes hopelessly entangled, stabs its eye out and shoots itself in the foot :)

How da 'ell do you use that thing! Let alone use the knife and fork without stabbling your eyes out or shooting yourself in the foot....it takes a skilled person to use that!!!!!!!

Some real good points here

I think anywhere they turn up is there normal area. We have no idea where they use to be before we got here and shot them out. Plus we have a burgeoning population that is moving north just as they are moving south!
Cairns is full blown croc country, and full blown people country. People will still enter the water regardless of the croc and stinger warnings.....and..... oblivious to the thought that who knows what moves around and goes up or down the coast under the cover of night. It is a real possibility that a croc could enter a Cairns beach or river mouth at night and not be there one day only to turn up the next. It just defies logic to see people so unwilling to change their activity patterns.

It's not a strange thing to say at all Lonqi, there are croc warning signs at Frazer now and have been there for at least 3 yrs that I know of. And yes there are definatly northern species coming down, the word is that they come on the warm currents and most probably never make it back as the water cools and they die down here.

I think this quote "something is changing " is the most poignant. The only thing that doesn't change in this world is the fact that everything is always changing! To me, this fact is natures own optimism, and IMO the force that drives this planet
States the case for the defence of Salties for me, as with all our dangerous wildlife! common sense, In their range, and perceived range, Is needed by all! That way, the ignorant among us are " CULLED " and makes for a stronger, and more aware populace...:) although of course the short and easier option will be taken, and In a couple of years, we will have the treasured sight, of seeing Salties once more, In remote locations, and on the Idiot box....

I agree with gone mad. If done properly it can ensure that the food chain is maintained. If croc numbers keep increasing the way they have in the last few years there is the problem of there being too many apex predators and not enough prey/ lower predatory animals. Culling the older males humanely is a lot better than forcing then to travel and starve.
Very true just needs to be managed properly.....ohhhh that will involve the gov...oh well same **** just anuva day!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back