Snakes v Lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the term lizards is too broad. But monitors, well snakes just don't compare IMO. ;)

I've always said Australian snakes are boring brown jobs, whereas the Australian lizard fraternity come in all shades of he rainbow. Then add legs, eyelids, social behaviour and there's no contest.

Thanks for clearing that up spongebob, I always thought if you added legs, eyelids and .... well, anti-social behaviour..... to a snake, you ended up with a politician? :facepalm::lol:

Thanks for clearing that up spongebob, I always thought if you added legs, eyelids and .... well, anti-social behaviour..... to a snake, you ended up with a politician? :facepalm::lol:

That's just not true. Snakes are pretty, and not at all slimey, unlike politicians.

There is no argument here. As several posters pointed out it 100% about what rings your bell! It might be behaviour. It might be colour pattern. It might be body form. It might be their collective attributes or it might be some very specific attributes. There are no rules when it comes to personal likes, whether that applies to reptiles or to anything else in life.

I must say that I do find it interesting when people mention particular groups as the penultimate pets. Take monitors for example. There is a huge variation in their size, habits and interaction. From Short-tailed Monitors at 25 cm max to Perenties at 2m plus. And there are lots of variation in between, from exclusively terrestrial, to primarily arboreal to semi-aquatic. Some are exclusively rock dwelling while others inhabit the deserts sands and low shrubs. The question is, what attributes do it for them.

What turns you on is all that matters. Do not be swayed by what others believe. They are not on the receiving end of what you find gratifying. Do your own thing with this amazing group of animals and enjoy the rewards that brings. You don’t need anyone else’s seal of approval. If anything, they are likely to be jealous of the satisfaction you derive from your specific animals!

Bottom line... a 3 cm gecko can be every bit as captivating as a 3 m python, irrespective of what the macho arguments would have you believe.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
I love both.
Beardies and Frilly's are my favourite Lizard.
Lacies and Perenties are my favourite Monitor.
BHP's, RBB's, Tiger's, GTP's are all my favourite Snakes.
Nile Croc's, Aussie Salt Water Croc's and American Alligators are my favourite Crocodile/Alligator.
Green Sea Turtle's and Galapagos Tortoise are my favourite Turtles/Tortoises.

Personally snakes are my favourites but I enjoy all reptiles, especially over any other species (aka mammals, birds etc).
I just love reptiles all round ^^
JMO :lol:

There is no argument here. As several posters pointed out it 100% about what rings your bell! It might be behaviour. It might be colour pattern. It might be body form. It might be their collective attributes or it might be some very specific attributes. There are no rules when it comes to personal likes, whether that applies to reptiles or to anything else in life.

I must say that I do find it interesting when people mention particular groups as the penultimate pets. Take monitors for example. There is a huge variation in their size, habits and interaction. From Short-tailed Monitors at 25 cm max to Perenties at 2m plus. And there are lots of variation in between, from exclusively terrestrial, to primarily arboreal to semi-aquatic. Some are exclusively rock dwelling while others inhabit the deserts sands and low shrubs. The question is, what attributes do it for them.

What turns you on is all that matters. Do not be swayed by what others believe. They are not on the receiving end of what you find gratifying. Do your own thing with this amazing group of animals and enjoy the rewards that brings. You don’t need anyone else’s seal of approval. If anything, they are likely to be jealous of the satisfaction you derive from your specific animals!

Bottom line... a 3 cm gecko can be every bit as captivating as a 3 m python, irrespective of what the macho arguments would have you believe.

Blue
Well said Blue,3 cheers,I can appreciate other peoples passion without any jealousy or degrading comments.I think it can be summed up by that old saying "treat others as you would like to be treated yourself"

"treat others as you would like to be treated yourself"

But maybe not everyone likes being handcuffed, gagged and whipped? :lol:

Isnt it wonderful there is a choice? I love my pythons, but I am not that keen/interested in elips.... I like lizards/monitors/frogs but havent gotten into them (yet) :D (I know when I start, I will have 15 more mouths to feed) :rolleyes:

I appreciate other peoples choice and respect that what they choose, might be different than what I like and have..... If everyone had the same as what I have and nothing else, how boring would that be? I think it is great I can talk to people with other animals/interests and visit to see what they have and vice versa :lol:

The only time this isnt true, is if they drive a ford..... then they should just be bricked without further ado! ;)

(Doing up flame proof suit) :D

There's not a snake out there that can compare to the entertainment a monitor can bring :)

Yeah, they are great..... I like to have my snakes over my shoulders, back end down one sleeve and head end out the other sleeve, they hang like this for ages, especially in winter :lol: It's fun too when they wrap around your arm and hang on, just looking around....checking everything out ;)

You cant do that with monitors..... snakes and monitors are equally awesome and excellently different :)

Dunno serpent I love my oxyuranus

I personally prefer snakes. I think they are beautiful, interesting and colourful. We are lucky to have such a large variety in Australia. I love my woma to pieces. He definitely isn't boring and is quite active. I have quite a lot of substrate in my tank so he can dig nice big holes. I love watching him.

i love both and can't choose between them. they have different qualities that i like. my snake are beautiful some are quiet and withdrawn but wen they come out at night while my lizards are alseep they are entertaining to watch. caramelo wraps around my wrist and stays there for hours, snappy goes up my sleeve, my water python swims in my 6 foot fish tank with my fish. princess sits on my laptop and gets into my printer and rearranges my papper and ink lol. but if they are active during the day they lay on my lawn and roam around while i supervise.

during the day my 5 beardies run the house and are full of personality and very different from each other. my blue tongue is the most gentle lizard i have ever met.

i love all my reptiles i could never choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back