camera specs?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarus

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My boyfriend and I are looking into getting a decent camera for Christmas - a number of family members are going to chip in and we'll pay the rest. So what I'm wondering is - what should we look for? I know that can be a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' question but we don't really know where to start. We're after one that preferable retails for under $1000, and can be used for herp photography. Any input would be appreciated!

i use a canon 600D, i got mine from dick smith with twin lens kis, high speed sd card and extended 3 year warranty for $1100.

considering the camera with twin lense kit was advertised for $1365 i think i done well. i just asked for whats the lowest price they do and said i'll buy a memory card and extend the warranty.

the camera is great wen taking herp pics, its my favourite camera so far. here are some pics i took with it. and keep in mind i am an amutur photographer.
rep11 049.jpgrep11 039.jpgrep11 032.jpgnew pics 019.jpg

My dad's a photographer and buys a $1000 camera with 5 $800 lenses for extra detail on my herps. I think that what saintager suggested is the way to go....no need to get over the top like pro photographers when 1 camera works fine!!!!!

It's a pretty broad question that only you can decide (given the budget, preference for use etc). I would suggest going with Nikon or Canon, if you buy a cheaper body you could invest more into good lenses which are more important.

- - - Updated - - -

Should also mention that choosing a right lens is crucial, the kit lenses are usually pretty average so if you want to get a bit serious build your own kit. A good standard lens eg: 17-85mm should cover snakes and large lizards (beardies etc) fairly well but if you want to get head shots or shoot smaller animals a 60mm macro is a good choice. Best to have a play in a good camera store to try out some lenses and then go home and order them online ;)

I agree with Jordo. The body is less important than the lenses, better to get a low to mid range DSLR body and invest in a good lens. I shoot with a Canon 100mm macro and a Canon 24-105mm zoom. That covers most oof the herp stuff short of long range in situ. I have a 7D body but theres no need to spend that sort of money from the outset.

If you want a P&S the Canon G12's are meant to be a versatile option that still allows a lot of the control that a SLR does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back