Blue tongue not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaroks14

Reaction score
Hi. My eastern blue tongue refuses to eat when I offer him food or when I leave food in his enclosure. It is starting to worry me a bit as he has become noticeably thin and his eyes are cloudy as well. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Could you also say where you are, tank size, location and hot and cold temps. Also, how long have you had him?

I'm offering snails, veggies, strawberries and bananas. He hasn't been eating since he came out of brumation. I'm in Melbourne. He shares a 4ft tank with with 2 other blue tongues, I don't have a heat light yet but the house is always warm and I've had him about 6-5 months.

I'm offering snails, veggies, strawberries and bananas. He hasn't been eating since he came out of brumation. I'm in Melbourne. He shares a 4ft tank with with 2 other blue tongues, I don't have a heat light yet but the house is always warm and I've had him about 6-5 months.
Try separating them.

As Caliherp said, try separating them as it may be a domination issue.

And while I don't agree with the way it was said, mad_at_arms is correct, you will need a heat lap regardless of how warm your house is. Bluetongues are hardy lizards that are pretty good at looking after themselves, but if you want to keep them, at least provide the basics of what they need.

Right, to try get him eating again, try some dog food (puppy type) or some live foods such as crickets to stimulate his feeding response

Yeh I'm getting one for them but all the blue tongue out in the wild in winter don't have access to heat. And I'm new to reptiles so don't tell me I don't deserve them. I also try and take them outside as often as I can.

Last edited:
Yeh I'm getting one for them but all the blue tongue out in the wild in winter don't have access to heat. And I'm new to reptiles so don't tell me I don't deserve them. I also try and take them outside as often as I can.

You are right that they dont have access to heat in the wild, but your Blue Tongues are not in the wild, you keep them in an enclosure which means what they would do in the wild during the cooler months you have to provide them. That doesn't mean you dont deserve them, it just means you need to be better informed on what they need so ignore mad_at_arms comment. I dont have a heat lamp on my BTs enclosure either but he does have access to 6 to 7 hours of sunlight per day and an ambient temp of 25 to 32C depending on the time of year, day and if I have set the aircon.

Have a read up on a few care sheets and see what is out there in terms of where you live and what is recommended and once you separate him from the others, try feeding him them. Oh, and keep him separated until he feeds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back