What would you do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cools2036

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Drove down the south coast Nsw last weekend.
Just past vincentia, driving along the road and I saw a diamond python.
Would have been about 5-6ft nice dark classic south Nsw types...anyways long story short I wanted to move it off the road and a few hundred meters down the road to bush land. Was a bit hesitant at first but it kinda showed interest in me if that makes sense.
Showed it my shoe and it didn't even strike, got it by the tail and eventually worked towards the head it seemed quite tame almost as if it belonged to someone. Checked him out and he was clean of ticks and in good nik so went and dropped him off in a good spot up and off the road out of harms way.

Do people poach animals in situations like this?
Or say their going herping but take more than just pictures??

Would like your thoughts on this as though it never crossed my mind up until last week

Yes would be my guess, was the only way to get em not long ago.

Used to see a lot more wild ones a while ago too. Was good to see the natural variations from south coast to north... Rare sight these days, forever seeing kids snap up the local beardies and water dragons

Yes. If you ahve ever looked at Gumtree ads for snakes, you will notice quite a few strange ads. People wanting to sell reptiles but don't have licenses. I'm pretty sure you will find quite a few of those are wild caught.

Of course people nab things from the wild.... its safe to say that this would be a common practice.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course people nab things from the wild.... its safe to say that this would be a common practice.

unfortunately the answer would have to be yes,a bit of free pocket money is attractive to some people.The rest of us realize the imbalance in the wild population and would leave it alone apart from enjoying the meeting

in answer to your thread title , this is what i would do , see him slither off into the bush :)catch and release ;)

Attachments

• 19112012(004).jpg
    19112012(004).jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 19112012(003).jpg
    19112012(003).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 104
It very much depends on the individual concerned. Those that are highly experienced with wild reptiles in the field will know that some species are more amenable than others to being handled. Similarly, some individuals of a species are more amenable to handling than others.

Experienced or otherwise, whether individuals take advantage of wild animals that are easy to handle is related to their set of values about breaking the law in this regard. There are no excuses. You either decide to break the law or not. The behaviour of a wild animal does not alter its legal status, no matter how much you wish it does.

Blue

I go herping quite often during the season. The only time I handle any of my finds is if they are in danger. I.E on the road. If I want to handle a reptile I go home. As far as taking reptiles out of the wild, I have only done it once wile I was a kid. I can understand why some people want to add new genetics to there projects, I still do not agree with it. The only thing we can do it educate newcomers and practice what we preach.

Hi guys,
Would have been about 5-6ft nice dark classic south Nsw types...anyways long story short I wanted to move it off the road and a few hundred meters down the road to bush land. Was a bit hesitant at first but it kinda showed interest in me if that makes sense.
Showed it my shoe and it didn't even strike, got it by the tail and eventually worked towards the head it seemed quite tame almost as if it belonged to someone. Checked him out and he was clean of ticks and in good nik so went and dropped him off in a good spot up and off the road out of harms way.

Would like your thoughts on this as though it never crossed my mind up until last week

First of all I would like to say thank you on behalf of Diamond and well me I like reading stories like this.

I have no idea when it comes to this, would I no way I guess I have some morals others probably just see $$ but then I guess you have those that just have a love of snakes hard one to answer if it was the last I would be happy for them.

We are always rescuing off the road and taking bush so they dont get run over. As long as your careful most dont mind being handled for a short time. Just make sure you disinfect before you handle your snakes at home.

Personally, if possible, I would postpone whatever I was driving to, then hang out the diamond for a little while. I wouldn't take it though. The only reps I've "taken from the wild" are a couple of skinks that I took off the cats, that I didn't think would stand a chance of surviving coz they were a bit broken.

Hi guys,

I can honestly say in my adult life I have never been tempted to poach from the wild (I used to try to catch Land mullets behind the chook pen when I was 5 years old :lol: )

I work catching and relocating wild animals every day so I definitely enjoy herping and seeing what is an area, however taking wild animals to keep, breed or sell isn't something I would consider.

On that note I have heard of some people, even some well respected (or perhaps not respected but well known) herpers who do poach, members on this site even. Just look at the number of Phyllurus platurusthat show up covered in mites. Or things like 'captive bred' elapids with big scars over their bodies...... raises a few questions anyway.

I guess when you hear of adult reps for sale that are aggressive or bad handlers you always had this question in mind...properly kept reps (since hatched) in my opinion are used to us and not as aggressive or prone to attack. Of course there are some accept ions as some are just grumpy since birth. But still makes you wonder, snake gets taken from the wild and sold as cage defensive not handled much etc etc and the poor thing either lives a caged or aviary style life forever or the op can't sell it...or gets next to nothing or an aggressive snake which in turn gets neglected

I guess when you hear of adult reps for sale that are aggressive or bad handlers you always had this question in mind...properly kept reps (since hatched) in my opinion are used to us and not as aggressive or prone to attack. Of course there are some accept ions as some are just grumpy since birth. But still makes you wonder, snake gets taken from the wild and sold as cage defensive not handled much etc etc and the poor thing either lives a caged or aviary style life forever or the op can't sell it...or gets next to nothing or an aggressive snake which in turn gets neglected

Im sure that alot of keepers dont handle regularly but have adequate enclosures for their snakes. I have 2 jungles that i bought of colin on here, 1 shows slightly defensive behaviour whenever i goto get him from his enclosure or off the lawn. The femal is just an absolute b itch and doesnt care just bites and strikes. To save the stress on her and myself she is rarely handled and stays in her enclosure as much as possible. For a 4ft snake her enclosure that is just under 6ft tall and 3ft wide she has ample room, and never have i felt that she is a poor thing. If i did feel like this then i wouldnt be keeping herps at all

Im sure that alot of keepers dont handle regularly but have adequate enclosures for their snakes. I have 2 jungles that i bought of colin on here, 1 shows slightly defensive behaviour whenever i goto get him from his enclosure or off the lawn. The femal is just an absolute b itch and doesnt care just bites and strikes. To save the stress on her and myself she is rarely handled and stays in her enclosure as much as possible. For a 4ft snake her enclosure that is just under 6ft tall and 3ft wide she has ample room, and never have i felt that she is a poor thing. If i did feel like this then i wouldnt be keeping herps at all

Situations like the above I wasnt referring to as "poor things" but those that fall under the circumstances of poaching as mentioned.

As in taken from the wild, and not paid attention to because of the aggression lack of handling experience etc.

Situations like the above I wasnt referring to as "poor things" but those that fall under the circumstances of poaching as mentioned.

As in taken from the wild, and not paid attention to because of the aggression lack of handling experience etc.
ahh all good, the Jim beam devil's cut is making me misinterpret stuff i think

Every species we have in captivity is only there due to people like myself poaching, a few people in nsw we're really smart when licence amnesty was on and went out and collected any and every species just so when the licences came in they could make a quick buck, I know I would have if I'd not been so dopey at the time. It's not poaching it's reallocation of wildlife.

Every species we have in captivity is only there due to people like myself poaching, a few people in nsw we're really smart when licence amnesty was on and went out and collected any and every species just so when the licences came in they could make a quick buck, I know I would have if I'd not been so dopey at the time. It's not poaching it's reallocation of wildlife.
It's early here and I may be misinterpreting your post but, to me poaching means takeing a animal out of the wild, no matter how you chose to justify it. Relocating to me means moveing an animal to a diffrent location in the wild. But hey that's just me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back