Vegan snake.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scleropages

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey man... killing is bad.
Be at one with the animals.
peace out.
Love.
Broccoli is the new rat.
Vegan life.
haha

7FE877F5-EFD2-4651-B02B-633562CCC4B2-9413-00000E2DCD46CB12.jpg

4584472A-BACE-4FCA-825B-C76A884763A0-9413-00000E2DC47E9E1A.jpg

6C6600F0-98F8-4D8B-B92E-F3ED65CDF0E1-9413-00000E2DBC36C716.jpg

2E2469A2-6ADD-4854-B07B-85229E175ED9-9413-00000E2DB1B325D2.jpg

54E15539-9289-4B1C-8D70-1FE37242E06C-9413-00000E2D4D39C328.jpg

9F9D2CC2-689C-40C7-A1F9-3B27B464D6F9-9413-00000E2D42E84A7D.jpg

Lol, can't imagine his nutrition requirement will be satisfied though. At least you got a VERY good feeding response on that one

That's pretty funny but aren't you worried it will be bad for him? I'm not an expert or anything but my first thought would be what if he has digestion issues? That would be one massive vet bill....

That's pretty funny but aren't you worried it will be bad for him? I'm not an expert or anything but my first thought would be what if he has digestion issues? That would be one massive vet bill....
dont be a worry wart snakes are hardy animals , if they can break down a full rat bones and all than broccoli would be like soup

Can you post an update when he poos please. Im very curious about how this is going to turn out? Was the broccoli scented with rodent?

hahah i pissed my self laughing and the whole office looked at me.. Gold thanks for sharing.. :D

Awesome! Thats a cool...still what ever made you think....gonna feed my snakes vegies tonight haha?

see kids, even snakes eat their broccoli!

Im confused and yet awed. Thats pretty awesome.

What were the thoughts behinds trying it or was it one of those, "Lets just see what happens" moments?

Haha I am in hysterics with these photos!!!! Justdragons my whole office just did the same thing to me! :lol:

dont be a worry wart snakes are hardy animals , if they can break down a full rat bones and all than broccoli would be like soup

Even though the snakes digestion has evolved to digest rodents not plant material...

but any way LOL thats gold

EEEwwww Vegan???? I would just 'brick' it!!! I once yelled at my Rottweiler because i caught her eating lettuce when i had just got her some fresh beef from the butchers.. :) lol

Broccoli is toxic to many animals so I'd be interested to follow this along also

if they can break down a full rat bones and all than broccoli would be like soup

You do realise that breaking down bone is very different to breaking down cellulose, which is one of the main components of plants, right? Bone is hydroxyapotite, basically calcium and phosphate in a 1:1 mix, and ionic, like a salt. Really, it's not that hard to break down. There's no animal which can break down cellulose. Cows have bacteria to do it, so do rabbits which have to eat their poo again to get enough energy to live. Not to mention that lots of cellulose and cellulose-like structures do tend to absorb lots of water into the gut and cause bloating, which is something we can deal with, but I really don't see a snake being able to deal with it.

Plus, yeah, it's toxic to a whole bunch of mammals and lower organisms.

Disclaimer: Broccoli is not toxic to reptiles but contains oxalates that bind calcium.
This snake eats rats, but as you see has had carrots and broccoli before.
DO not feed your snakes greens!.
lol

She has eaten broccoli before, the broccoli was followed by a mouse to help her break it down.
she will not die.

a few years ago we were told a story of a keeper who was a Vego and therefore so should her pets the dog was ok adding rice and vitamin pwd etc but the diamond at 18 mnths was starting to look a bit sickly .
When she took it to the vet he was disgusted and took the snake and reported her . Even though i dont think feeding it vegies only is smart or reporting her was the right thing to do, i think that the fact that the snake had made it to 18 mths was impressive

Well, if you consider that the animals which snakes eat - rodents, rabbits, birds etc generally eat grains and grasses.. I would surmise that much like other "carnivores", snakes do require a certain small amount of roughage and fibre in their diet and usually get it from the stomach contents of whatever they have devoured. In this case, the dear little snakey-poo in the picture just by-passed the fluffy casing and happily munched out on the veges lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back