40 Degrees in Melbourne today :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermensch

Reaction score
Wonder if my boss would let me travel the 2 hours home to turn my air con on! D:
How does everyone else keep temps down on heat wave days?

Same in adel ive turnd off heatin an the animals in the shed have come inside

I have a fan on, aircon on, cold water with ice cubes, not leaving my office at all! Why Melbourne, why do you make this weather so up & down! 40 is too high!!!

Oh man, I do not miss that. Melbourne heatwaves suck. Good luck with your reptiles, people in Victoria. Turn off all heat, close all the blinds/shades and don't feed until the weather gets back to normal. Placing an ice pack wrapped in a towel into your enclosures can also help keep things cool.

Heat wave huh? I just got back from the snow. During the summer I run my a/c. I have thermostats on most of my reptiles except for a couple species of geckos that prefer the cooler conditions of my room so I don't worry about temperatures to much.

I fed my little ones yesterday before I checked the forecast:S Not too concerned though, I'm home all day, and have brought the ferrets in, have all the critters inside in the air con with me.:) A few years ago when we had an awful heat wave it was not as easy, we didn't have air con, so had wet towels in the freezer and laid down on the slate tiles for the critters, and we sat in the lounge with our feet in buckets of icy water. We also took it so far as to showering the cats, which was both painful and hilarious.

If you've got aircon, it'll be okay. I'm having fun trying to picture what showering cats looks like!

Imagine the most difficult thing you've ever had to do. Now add a circular saw that has pins attached all over the blade, careening around the room in a completely random manner. Should be about right:)

The things we do for animals!! And I don't even like cats!

Vulnerable species come inside into the air con in plastic tubs then back out into the garage when the heat subsides...painful!

Forecast 42 western sydney on Saturday. All snakes into tubs and put into bathroom with portable ac running. Smallest room and easiest to maintain a cool temp

I have all my heating off, a fan on near the enclosure, and a couple of wrapped up ice packs. I also told my woma to tap it to his wild, desert dwelling ancestory. He should be fine.

Arrrrrgh well....Melbourne is Melbourne...one of those weird places. Least its not 100% humidity so count yourselves lucky then!
The reptile will be fine. Hopefully!

I cut a hole in the wall to vent the hot air from my air con into the garage, in my rented home.
Haven't yet worked out how to hide it for inspections.
Mind you its the best room in the house to be right now. :)

I'm still much happier in Melbourne with a couple of hot days than back in cairns with 90+ % humidity.

37o here 100% humidity. Typical "build up" day. Had a storm this morning which turned into a sauna bath as soon as the sun came out.
Fans are on 2, never use aircon. You get used to it.

The Wet will break soon, it is BEEYOOTIFUL!

Ha ha oh no :( my little one is super hungry and super bitchy. She's super sensitive to regurging when it's hot so I definitely can't feed her - but now I don't want to put my hand in there to give her fresh cool water! :(
Left my office in the CBD for 2 seconds and came back with dry poofy hair ick.

if you've got aircon, it'll be okay. I'm having fun trying to picture what showering cats looks like!

lol my cat is the opposite.. If he hears the tap he is in the sink... Cannot get enough of water.. Its great. Id never seen a cat swim... Until i got a bengal. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back