Our little friends boosting our electricity bills?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2 large solar panels, but still get excess bill of about $5000 bore pumps for stock water is the killer after the boss man blamed my fish tanks at rise of $2500 a quarter but I got rid of that set up for nothing it was dodgie water pumps working over time. He hasn't said any thing since and only thinks I now have couple geckos and a snake. it's in husbands salary that electricity is paid for. But my houses don't have anyone living in them and they still have electricity bills of $180 and $200 each per quarter so costs are rising?

My power bill went through the roof when i was using a lot of globes but then i have swapped to cords and found it was much cheaper :)

Interesting... Yeah my plan once every one gets moved up to new enclosures is 40 watt radiant heat panels on an over hanging shelf to heat air temp down and heat the shelf surface above. This technique is working a charm ATM with an 80 watt in my sand monitor enclosure.

Wow some incredible bills.. I'm running 7 heat lamps, 4 UVB, one radiant heat panel and 4 stats.

I've been considering this for a while and every time I look into it I get confused and not sure if its worth it. Although I'm sure it will pay itself off after x amount of years

Choice magazine has an article that says its no longer worth it. The companies aren't paying as much for the power you put back on the grid. Most systems are supposed to pay themselves off within 10 years. Problem is the panels are only supposed to last 10 years. And they produce less as they age too.
If the power companies played fair and gave good credit for power generated it would be well worth it. The latest though is that solar panels are taking profits away from power companies so they have to increase infrastructure and supply costs. Which means larger house hold bills....

Solar panel subsidies scrapped early - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
and
Popular solar making old energy more expensive | Rural Weekly

I got angry last month cause my bill for the qtr was $400. I can't believe some people have bills over or near $1000

Yeah Same, I went right off when my power bill jumped from $300 to $450 haha and we thought we had it bad!!

Ok so i think i can help you all out. Ones in qld more so then other states. I work for a company that deals with providing cheap electricity. I'm 100% sure I can beat at least 90% of the companies that are providing you guys electricity. We also do Internet and mobiles but electricity is our biggest. So if anybody wants help saving money on electricity pm me. :)

Our panels make more energy than the bossman and they are identical in size and in middle of paddock with no trees Etc ours has a hill covering the last two hours of the day go figure? only been in for about 12 months now but they were signed in before prices went down to peanuts. Saves about $15000 a year but you still have to pay bill and they rebate you with a cheque. They said if he signed now he would have only saved about $4000 to $5000 a year.

My crocs takes up fair bit 4 water heaters spot lights filters
i think for my snakes im goin to use mats from now on globes use way more elec and bloody blow all time

Why do people think that globes use more power then mats or cords?

A 50w globe uses just as much as a 50w cord.

Problem is the panels are only supposed to last 10 years.

Not a direct dig at you Snowman but this is BS, yes they do produce less as they age but there is plenty of examples that are 20/30 years old still producing 50% or more of rated output.
There is so much mis-information being touted about solar.
Bottom line is that good quality solar will save you lots in the long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do people think that globes use more power then mats or cords?

A 50w globe uses just as much as a 50w cord.
Yes if on 24/7 . No if on a thermostat, the cord will be on a lot less than the globe to achieve same basking temp IF properly setup.

Not a direct dig at you Snowman but this is BS, yes they do produce less as they age but there is plenty of examples that are 20/30 years old still producing 50% or more of rated output.
There is so much mis-information being touted about solar.
Bottom line is that good quality solar will save you lots in the long term.

What would I know just a sparky with half my degree in electrical engineering complete. ;) Spent a couple of years replacing them in the Pilbara for the remote signalling too....
The facts are that the costs without the government subsidy and power company buy back is they won't save you money. Read the article on choices web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would I know, I've only been using solar for a decade;)
I do agree with the "government subsidy and power company buy back" part

What would I know, I've only been using solar for a decade;)
I do agree with the "government subsidy and power company buy back" part
Exactly the buy back is stoping.. Read what I wrote FFS. It is NO LONGER viable.

Our last one was 750, I spoke to the electricity company about it and worked out it wasn't the reptiles, the way to work it out as far as I know is multiply the wattage of your lights or whatever your heat source is by the approx hours a days that they are on for and this will give you your kilowatts they multiply that by the amount of money you pay per kilowatt, eg if you have 2 50watt heat lamps on a thermostat that over a 24 hour period run for 10 hours you multiply 100x10 which equals 1000 which is 1 kilowatt, I pay 30 cents a kilowatt so each cages heat lights cost me 30cents a day to run approx, then there is the day lamps!

The Energy Networks Association (ENA) welcomes the early phase out of the Solar Credit Multiplier
announced today by the Commonwealth.
“Governments across Australia are now recognising that the average electricity customer is paying a high
price to fund subsidies for domestic solar systems, said ENA CEO Malcolm Roberts.
“The rapid growth of household solar systems has contributed to higher network charges. In many cases,
for example, governments require the cost of feed-in tariffs to be passed through to customers via
network charges.
“There have been many claims made about ‘gold-plating’ of networks but very little has been said about
this solar panel effect which is pushing up electricity prices”.
“In Queensland, the pass-through of feed-in tariff payments is expected to push up network prices by
10% for residential customers in 2013-14. Energex will have to recover $78.5 million from their customers
in south-east Queensland to cover feed-in tariff payments. The State government estimates that
Queenslanders are paying $54 more on their power bills to cover these payments.
“These costs are rising sharply with the growth in solar installations”.
“There is a less obvious cost to most customers from the growth in solar panels. Households with solar
systems are paying very little or nothing towards the costs of network infrastructure.
“Most households with solar systems benefit from feed-in tariffs set well above the market price for
electricity. In net terms, these households pay little or nothing for the energy they use. They rely on the
electricity network to provide and export power but contribute very little to the maintenance of this
essential infrastructure.
“Unfortunately, as demonstrated in projects such as the Perth Solar Cities trial, domestic solar systems do
not reduce electricity demand at peak times. As the growth of peak demand is a major factor in higher
network costs, households with solar panels are contributing to the upward pressure on electricity prices
but are not contributing to the associated costs of network augmentation.
“Bringing forward the phase out of the Solar Credit Multiplier is a modest step to rebalance support for
household solar systems. Solar power has a significant role to play in the mix of our energy system but it
needs to be supported in ways which are equitable to all electricity customers.

Snowman We were told the same thing if we didn't sign a contract, we would have been losing money with purchase and installation costs but on the plus side we would be still helping the environment.

Snowman We were told the same thing if we didn't sign a contract, we would have been losing money with purchase and installation costs but on the plus side we would be still helping the environment.
That's the thing... Studies have shown it doesnt help peak demand. The power is being supplied regardless. The coal going into the turbines is still the same amount. Helping the environment with solar is not true.
Also the dead solar cells are not bio degradable or recyclable...

I don't want solar to help the environment, I just don't want to be paying anyone money I don't have to be. So be it solar or some other source, when I build my house eventually, I don't want to be connected to the grid at all.

I don't want solar to help the environment, I just don't want to be paying anyone money I don't have to be. So be it solar or some other source, when I build my house eventually, I don't want to be connected to the grid at all.
Problem with no grid connection is you either need very expensive batteries (that need replacing) or a petrol or diesel generator. Both often end up costing more than paying for grid power. Unless you live the the farmers of old and don't use electricity.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some neat ideas around though if you dont mind spending money for set up. Solar hotwater that you pump around the reptile room in copper pipes is an interesting one. The running cost is a 30watt pump...

Out of curiosity if one sets up a solar panel system and used the energy generated by it exclusively for powering reptile heating and lighting would it reduce ones power bill? As in you wouldn't have to pay for the electricity to power that section of electrical equipment. I haven't done much research so I figured I may as well ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back