Gols fish + anti algae = bad?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
Hi ya'll

I put an anti-algae chemical into my aquarium and the fish seem to react badly to it.
I have no intentions of using it again and will do a water change etc, but i just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen? The bottle states its safe on all fish and to use every 3 days.
Its clear with my fish that it is not safe to use.

Could the reaction be from all the dead algae polluting the water?

If I was you I would enlist some Apple Snails and Golden Sucker fish (both are fine in cold water)

Step 1: empty tank and flush fish
Step 2: get geckos for empty tank.
Step 3: only keep reptiles.

Step 1: empty tank and flush fish
Step 2: get geckos for empty tank.
Step 3: only keep reptiles.

Site rule! No cruelty/killing animals!!!! You're a bad egg, Snowman!!! ;)

The algae wasn't that bad, i was just trying to maintain that crystal clear look. I'll just stick to leaving the UV lights off.

Algae in a tank can be from many reasons. First I'd find out why there is algae in the tank. Is it from natural light levels in the room, the tube being old, the excess foods/waste causing high nitrate levels etc etc etc I could go on for ever. Find out the cause first. if it cannot be found ie tube new, dark room, nitrate levels zero then I'd go with GeckoJosh and use a natural remover. I'd prefer a bristlenose or the snails to the golden sucker cause goldensuckers have a tendency to go for the mucus of goldfish over algae and stress the golds.
Adding any chemicals to a tank no matter if they are "safe" or "recommended" is a risk, I normally steer clear of cheap or generic brands as they tend to do less research and are generally cheap for a reason.
I hope I helped a little... this info is comming from over 20 years goldfish keeping. Also If you tend to keep more exotic breeds of goldfish I recommend a heater in winter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back