Tigers and other cats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The animals are very well cared for, there are many animals here however which are very old. Our oldest animal is Kalki a North Chinese Leopard born in 1991.

If you google "Zamba Cat Tales" you can see pictures of him, he had the biggest mane I've seen so far! We have a train line running behind the park and when the train passed Zamba would roar. When our lioness roars it is truly an amazing sounds that you have to stop what you're doing and appreciate it.

The mountain lion is awesome.

So obviously there is not much contact with any of them?

You doing this to hopefully come back to aus and get a paid job with big cats?

Good luck with it all.

Last edited:
Hi Ricko, sorry I missed your post:

All contact with the cats is protective contact apart from cubs, there are two managers who can go in with some of the cats but usually this is just switching them from on-display exhibits to their off-display dens. We do have a male lion cub who gets walked and contact with some of the managers and more advanced students but that is not me yet. Safety is paramount here, we are working with large predators which demand respect and strict protocol.

My goal is a position within the Australia Zoo tiger department where I was a long term volley, but positions are rare so I'll have to wait until one is available and then based on how I went with the last position I may get lucky with a future position because of how close I came back then. I know one of the founders of the Dreamworld facility (he is a trainer here) so they also do amazing work. Both facilities contribute MASSIVELY to conservation which is a primary focus for me and something I'm actively involved in. I would also be interested in field work with tiger conservation.

Some recent pics of some of the cats, I'm biased towards tigers if anyone hasn't noticed ;) These are Siberian tigers (Panthera tigris altaica) and our oldest bobcat (Lynx rufus/Felis rufus) born in 1993!

IMG_7009.jpgIMG_7004.jpgIMG_7000.jpgIMG_6991.jpgIMG_6986.jpgIMG_6974.jpg

Cheers,
Daniel

Those bobcats are just to die for! Lovely photos all round mate, can't wait to see more in the future.

I've seen the white lion cub at the DD zoo.. Cute thing, but I won't be going back sadly. =s

Thanks, the bobcats are very cool. Loads of personality :) We have six in total at present.

I went to DDZ in 2010, they have some big expansion plans and some imports coming in the future. Would have been great to see the cub :) They will be the only zoo in QLD to hold lions once "Shambala" finalizes the export of their non AZA animals to Indonesia.

I was getting all exicted when I opened up the thread as saw bobcats, I thought they were over here and I was about to jump for joy, lol.

I went around 2010 too, but since then and now hardly anything has changed. Apart from the cub and reptile and koala addition. The cub was in a small little children's pen-thing in the entrance/admittance, didn't realize it was there until I looked over the counter (I was looking at the little crocs first in truth.)

Thanks for sharing your journey. My passion is tigers. I love them. Ask my family, have pics etc everywhere. I envy you SO much!! I haven't been on this forum for over 12 months, and thought I'd check it out this morning....and I am SO happy I did!! Incredible pics!! Thanks again!!

New Zealand has bobcats in some of their zoos, not sure on numbers though.

I'm on a zoo forum where the owner of DDZ frequents and they have one reptile and 2-3 mammal imports coming in the nearish future, should be exciting for them. I know there is meant to be an import of Komodo Dragons into Aus in the future so I'm hoping that's the reptile for DDZ. Did you take any photo's there? Feel free to put them up if you did, especially of the cub :)

Thanks Tigerfloss, it has taken me years to get here and took just under a year to sort my visa as well, but it's all paid off now and I'm very privileged to be around these cats. You can't go wrong with having a passion for tigers :) I'm glad you enjoyed my pics and journey. Feel free to share any wild cat pics or info :)

I've never thought about going over to NZ, but if they have bobcats.. Well, I might have to re-think that. Lynx are my favorite (Iberian to be exact) but bobcats are close enough!

I did hear also that there were some Komodo's coming over soon. But I don't know where to, it will be interesting to find out. I did take a few photos, can't remember if there are any of the cubs though. They are on one of my many SD cards I have laying around

Hamilton Zoo is now the only zoo in NZ with Bobcat with Franklin Zoo closing.

I tried to find where I read about the Komodo's but couldn't find it, I remember several zoos are benefiting from the import. Look forward to pics of the DDZ cats :)

I don't think I got any of the tigers/lions outside. If there is a mesh/chain fence I normally don't take photos, I find it troublesome. I think in the whole time I've tried to take photos through chainlink I've only even gotten one that was decent and that was a Freshy.

My DDZ photos are on a hard drive back in Aus, the male white lion had a very small mane then, would be good to see how his mane's filled out :)

No worries, if you ever have anything cat related chuck it up on this thread :) I'll try and get new photos up in the next few weeks.

We only saw the white lioness out, but the colored male next door was in a small pen within the lion enclosure. I do have some alright photos of the white lions from down in Taz laying about somewhere (Probably on my old laptop.)

Sounds good! This is a thread for any and all things (wild) cat :)

Any photo's, news, conservation, zoo visits etc anyone has feel free to share at anytime :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back