Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronhalling

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Here i am again (like a rash) while i am still logged on i thought i might ask the good people here if they can tell me what sort of snake this is, it was found by my son in the bushland at the bottom of our street (port macquarie NSW) i made him put it back but took a pic of it with my phone (sorry about the quality) before hand, i know 1 thing though it snapped at anything and everything that moved, i thought it was some type of tree snake.

Gts2.jpg

Here i am again (like a rash) while i am still logged on i thought i might ask the good people here if they can tell me what sort of snake this is, it was found by my son in the bushland at the bottom of our street (port macquarie NSW) i made him put it back but took a pic of it with my phone (sorry about the quality) before hand, i know 1 thing though it snapped at anything and everything that moved, i thought it was some type of tree snake.

View attachment 272463
Please don't mistake my post as an attack on you. If you do not know what type of snake it is, then how do you know it's not a hot? Whenever I go herping I never go near a snake that I'm not sure if its venomous or not. I do not know how old your son is or his skill level of properly identifying and handling snakes, but I can't stress enough how important it is to look but not touch.

Please don't mistake my post as an attack on you. If you do not know what type of snake it is, then how do you know it's not a hot? Whenever I go herping I never go near a snake that I'm not sure if its venomous or not. I do not know how old your son is or his skill level of properly identifying and handling snakes, but I can't stress enough how important it is to look but not touch.

he is 19 and yes i gave him the same lecture, he knows the browns, red bellies, yellow bellies, death adders and copperheads we get in our area are "hot" but he maybe wrongly thought because it was green in was non venomous, i have told him to treat all snakes as "hot" unless proven otherwise

A Common Tree Snake (Dendrelaphis punctulatus) - not dangeous. Green uppery body (dorsal surface and sides), yellow ventrals, long thin body shape, tending towards tiangular cross-section, relatively large eye and head distinct from neck but not suddenly so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a Green Tree Snake, and i am curious as to what you refer to as yellow bellies?

In some areas the common green tree snake is called the yellow bellied blacksnake, especially the dark phase ones.
There was a news article recently that called gts yellow bbs aswell, which dosnt help the confusion.

People who arent into snakes dont really care about the differences between the species, a black coloured snake will always be a black snake, and a brown coloured snake will always be a brownsnake to a lot of people.

In some areas the common green tree snake is called the yellow bellied blacksnake, especially the dark phase ones.
There was a news article recently that called gts yellow bbs aswell, which dosnt help the confusion.

People who arent into snakes dont really care about the differences between the species, a black coloured snake will always be a black snake, and a brown coloured snake will always be a brownsnake to a lot of people.

Yes, I am well aware of gts being called yellow bellied blacks which is why i asked the question as the OP stated "he knows the browns, red bellies, yellow bellies," when he obviously doesn't know them.:)

Afaik the only 'true' yellow bellied black snake is Pseudechis butleri found in inland central and southern WA.
[h=1][/h]

common tree snake your so lucky i have never seen any in the wild around port...

I have heard of that being called a yellow bellied sea snake but not a yellow bellied black snake. However i also said "Afaik" so i am quite prepared to be corrected :)

Last edited:
I have heard of that being called a yellow bellied sea snake but not a yellow bellied black snake. However i also said "Afaik" so i am quite prepared to be corrected :)

It's ok I'm just having a joke, since appearance wise it fits the description far better than any other snake I know, of course you're right I've only ever heard it called a Yellow Bellied Sea Sanke.

Yes, I am well aware of gts being called yellow bellied blacks which is why i asked the question as the OP stated "he knows the browns, red bellies, yellow bellies," when he obviously doesn't know them.:)

Afaik the only 'true' yellow bellied black snake is Pseudechis butleri found in inland central and southern WA.

well red belly blacks we see quite regularly around the creek in the bushland surounding us, the yellow belly blacks i have seen whilst fishing around lake innes, when disturbed they immediatly take to the water and swim off, pardon my ignorance if i have wrongly identified this snake but it looks just like the red belly black but has a yellow belly instead, hence my thinking it was a yellow belly black, i do not think it could be a singular color variation as i have seen dead ones in the same local with yellow belly's apparently killed trying to eat cane toads (which have started to make their presents felt in this area) if i am wrong i am wrong and will be the first to admit it.

well red belly blacks we see quite regularly around the creek in the bushland surounding us, the yellow belly blacks i have seen whilst fishing around lake innes, when disturbed they immediatly take to the water and swim off, pardon my ignorance if i have wrongly identified this snake but it looks just like the red belly black but has a yellow belly instead, hence my thinking it was a yellow belly black, i do not think it could be a singular color variation as i have seen dead ones in the same local with yellow belly's apparently killed trying to eat cane toads (which have started to make their presents felt in this area) if i am wrong i am wrong and will be the first to admit it.

the yellow bellied black snake is just another confusing name for a common tree snake they are both the same thing
type in yellow bellied black snake on google see what comes up hope this helps

Really, I don't mean to be condescending or rude, but if you can't identify the difference between an elapid and colubrid, you really do need to reconsider picking them up. They aren't cuddly pets, bad things can definitely happen if you mess up. Play safe!

yellow belly blacks dont really exist , in the sense that you think they do , what you would have seen was a common tree snake they get called yellow belly blacks by people who dont know snake because they can be black with a yellow belly , they are NOT A BLACK SNAKE

also totally agree with jamesss , if you where still thought what you where seeing was a yellow belly black snake then id stay at a good distance from anything that doesn't look like a carpet snake and definitely tell your son his a muppet and not to pick up snakes

Really, I don't mean to be condescending or rude, but if you can't identify the difference between an elapid and colubrid, you really do need to reconsider picking them up. They aren't cuddly pets, bad things can definitely happen if you mess up. Play safe!

(1) i did not pick it up
(2) my son brought it home for me to look at
(3) you don't have to worry about me picking up anything more than my coastal
(4) i have not taken it as condescending or rude
(5) you are right thomasssss my son is a muppet and should know better

All in all this post really was just an attempt to get an ID on a snake that my muppet son brought home, but it seems to be spiralling out of control. I think the general concensus is it is a common tree snake, so thank you all

General consensus ?
It is a green tree snake.
Not a yellow bellied black
Nothing else

he is 19 and yes i gave him the same lecture, he knows the browns, red bellies, yellow bellies, death adders and copperheads we get in our area are "hot" but he maybe wrongly thought because it was green in was non venomous, i have told him to treat all snakes as "hot" unless proven otherwise
Copperheads In Port?

What I want to know is if you didn't know what it was why it the file name gts2?
Is someone taking the piss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back