Need lamp protector, not sure what to get?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmalene_bunny

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)
I caught my little one this morning sneaking up his enclosure and was half way around his heat lamp, I've never had this happen before but I'm really very worried he will burn himself.
So I was wondering, if anyone had any tips for DYI stuff I could put around it, or a what's the best cage to get for the lamp, he's only in a URS small enclosure and the last thing I want is to wake up and find him up there again :(
Thanks, Em

you dont have a cage around it already ? or are you just worried about him burning himself on the existing cage , if you dont have one already turn the light off asap and remove the globe

a light cage is a must for any light in a snake enclosure , whether it produces heat or not as its not only the risk of them burning themselves theirs the risk they can break the globe if they coil around it then squeeze

Last edited:
you dont have a cage around it already ? or are you just worried about him burning himself on the existing cage , if you dont have one already turn the light off asap and remove the globe

a light cage is a must for any light in a snake enclosure , whether it produces heat or not as its not only the risk of them burning themselves theirs the risk they can break the globe if they coil around it then squeeze

No I don't already have one up that's why I am a bit worried, he's never been a climber really, no excuses though, it's my own mistake and I should have gotten one before I even got him it just completely slipped my mind as we don't have them in our ones at work. Is there any particular ones do you know that are really good for small enclosures, I had a look on eBay earlier but I'm just unsure on what's the best cage to get.

i make my own (as most are flimsy crap imo) so cant really comment on which is good but herp shop make some decent looking ones but that would probably take a while to get to you , just make sure what ever cage you get that the globe can sit comfortably inside it with out being to close to the sides of the cage , i aim for at least 4cm clearance around the globe and cage

i make my own (as most are flimsy crap imo) so cant really comment on which is good but herp shop make some decent looking ones but that would probably take a while to get to you , just make sure what ever cage you get that the globe can sit comfortably inside it with out being to close to the sides of the cage , i aim for at least 4cm clearance around the globe and cage

Thanks so much I really appreciate your advice, I'll definitely be going to buy one on my lunch break tomorrow that's for sure, don't think I'm to handy to make them like you do :) thank you again

id be removing the globe myself though otherwise you know that guy murphy , the one that made that law;) , if you dont remove the globe his gonna smash it

Someone should just get him first, settle this once and for all and be can leave us alone! :D
i tried that its bloody hard to catch a ghost , ive tried nets , those trap door things , a lasso even cornering him and just trying to grab him every time he just slips through like fog , except with the trap door that time he just stood on thin air and laughed at me the antagonising little prick

I don't know how other people secure their light cages in glass enclosures but I used little cable ties and tied them through the mesh on top. Something to keep in mind so you can actually use your light cage when you get it ;)

I don't know about you go guys but I buy my stuff off ebay. (yes, I'm lazy but with homework and taking care of all my animals I don't have much time!) This store is always good. Go to the light cages and they have some there for a pretty good price! DIY is cheaper but this is just a back up in case you can't make one.These are probably the cheapest guys I have found who sell great quality items! And free shipping to!!!!!!

Shop and Swap Rule 3 - NO Linking to Classified Ad

Last edited by a moderator:
No I don't already have one up that's why I am a bit worried, he's never been a climber really, no excuses though, it's my own mistake and I should have gotten one before I even got him it just completely slipped my mind as we don't have them in our ones at work. Is there any particular ones do you know that are really good for small enclosures, I had a look on eBay earlier but I'm just unsure on what's the best cage to get.

I had customers come in today and say it was nice to see a reptile shop that used light cages, I was surprised by that but evidently they were right, highly irresponsible of a shop to not have them.

i tried that its bloody hard to catch a ghost , ive tried nets , those trap door things , a lasso even cornering him and just trying to grab him every time he just slips through like fog , except with the trap door that time he just stood on thin air and laughed at me the antagonising little prick

How dare he just stand there and laugh at you! Looks like we wont be getting rid of him anytime soon :| but keep up at the persistence, I'm impressed!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how other people secure their light cages in glass enclosures but I used little cable ties and tied them through the mesh on top. Something to keep in mind so you can actually use your light cage when you get it ;)

I will definitely be giving that a try, it's so practical, thank you :)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know about you go guys but I buy my stuff off ebay. (yes, I'm lazy but with homework and taking care of all my animals I don't have much time!) This store is always good. Go to the light cages and they have some there for a pretty good price! DIY is cheaper but this is just a back up in case you can't make one.These are probably the cheapest guys I have found who sell great quality items! And free shipping to!!!!!!

PET HOMES AND ACCESSORIES items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

!

I am going to have a look at there stuff now thanks for the link :) I completely get the studying/ homework and being busy, I work full time and I study in my own time, but I have a herp shop in the in between my house and work, and its not even 5minutes walk so I have no excuses haha! I'm not very crafty, and would probably save more money buying something instead of probably destroying making something :)

- - - Updated - - -

I had customers come in today and say it was nice to see a reptile shop that used light cages, I was surprised by that but evidently they were right, highly irresponsible of a shop to not have them.

Sorry I should have written that better, I don't work in a store that has snakes, I look after my boss's snake (was snakes but we sold our jungle the other day) and he doesn't have cages in his enclosures, which is irresponsible and I and I am going to buy two and put on up in my office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back