How are you preparing for coming heat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tangy1

Reaction score
Hi,
In Brisbane over the next couple of days we are expect very high day temps. 33c tomorrow and 39c on Tuesday.
How is everyone going to deal with the high temps and what preparations if any are you doing to cope with the heat to keep your snakes cool.
As I work the next 2 days I'm still wondering how to deal with the temps other than opening all windows, turning all heat off and maybe spraying down the tubs in the morning.
Cheers.

Last edited:
wouldnt everyones snakes be on thermostats? i often wonder this as ive seen a few threads. unless a snake is from quite a cold climate wouldnt it be fine in temps around 40? as most places in Australia will get to these temps.

re reading that it comes off arrogant but it is a genuine question.. how hot an ambient temp can pythons handle??

Turn heating off if your expecting a hot one, try to keep the enclosures out of direct heat, say, not right next to a window where the sun can cane the enclosure, I always bring my enclosure into the laundry or bathroom as they're generally the coolest place in the house.... Otherwise, a damp towel in front of a fan will keep things pretty fresh... Good luck to all with the heat management

Do you have at least one air conditioned room that you can move the tubs too?? If not you can move them to a tiled floor (bathroom) as this is generally cooler than anywhere else. I would think that drawing all the curtains/blinds closed and closing the windows would keep things cooler on a hot day than leaving them open. A couple of fans to circulate air might also be good.

For me when it gets to hot, it's air con, beer and cricket, if its too hot for my snakes then its generally too hot for me as well.

All mine have the heat lights and mats turned off. Only a couple of UV lights will be on. I dont have anything too delicate this year but previously i have placed frozen water bottles wrapped in a towel in the enclosure on really hot days.

We have been getting low to mid 40's on & off for a few weeks now & it looks like it will continue for a while. We are lucky, come mid spring all heating gets switched off until early - mid autumn. We run an AirCon throughout spring/summer & have the snake cages positioned in the house so they are not getting cool, cage temp during the day ranges between 28-33.

I would be concerned about having to lock up the house & leave for a day in high temps with pets of any sort in the house unless you have an aircon that you can set the temp to. I have heard people use icepacks/frozen water bottles wrapped in cloth placed in one corner of the cage to give a cool spot. Other than that, fans & making sure there is plenty of fresh water available. They can handle pretty high temps but in the wild they generally find a cool spot to ride out the heat.

Temps over 30 power is turned off, elapids in outdoor enclosures stay in their underground quarters & cruise around during the night.

The heating doesn't have to be on for it to be too hot for the snake. It might get 40C + in many parts of Australia, but that doesn't mean the snakes are subjected to that temperature for extended periods. Keeping snakes are warm temperatures constantly is very detrimental (warm temperatures hurt snakes faster than cooler temperatures).

tangy1, freezer packs or bottles of frozen water inside the tanks can help keep the temperatures down. Air conditioning is the safest "method", but very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back