Devilish devil

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm from VIC ,I have here'd that there are some small number of breeders in the NT and CA. However I'm not sure if I can or what class licence I have to have to keep 1 or 2 in VIC. If I can then I will get some and then breed them.
put me down for 2 then............:lol:

Well in NSW you cannot get them on licence ( I am assuming you are from NSW and also that other states do not allow them, I should probably check that ).

You sure about that? Fairly confident that you can keep any native reptile legally in NSW provided it is obtained legally in the first place.If a species isn't on the keepers list they will add it once proof is given that it can be legally sourced.

I see your fascination with them, they are such awesome little guys. I did a bit of "digging around" on keeping them myself but found it really difficult to get any info. on them. I was speaking to a guy who runs a reptile park in WA who had some there and he told me that apparently, Australia has over 500 species of ants and the Thorny Devil only eats 3 of those particular species. He said that he located an ant mound a few km's away from the Reptile Park and he alternates between 2 large hollow logs - he brings one back to the park in the morning and leaves the empty one over the top of the mound for collection the following morning. Apparently he struggled for years to get the permits to keep them in the Wildlife Park and told me that they cannot be kept privately because of their restricted diet. Not sure if things have changed, this was a few years ago.

When I say CA I mean central Australia

- - - Updated - - -

I would never expect them to cost that much

- - - Updated - - -

Yep don't worry though it was a bearded dragon and the licence was under my mums name when I was 5 but I was the who had to feed him and all that. Hey buy the way I have here'd that they eat around 5 species not 3 but do favour 3 more then the other 2 they also eat around 1-2000 ants per day and they need temps that are in the 40s so I see why they are hard very hard to keep.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys I did not know this and I'm not sure if you guys new either but despite the fact that the thorny devils need extremely hot temps they also need to be sprayed with water as during the night in the wild they collect dew which gathers on its back then follows the spines until they reach the left side of its mouth and from what I just read the dew always ends up on the left side and never the right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back