Unusual behaviour by a male stimson, your thoughts please!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squamata

Reaction score
I have posted this question before but I think in the wrong area.
I had an experience with a couple of my
stimsons pythons a couple of weeks ago and i thought it so unusual that i thought i would ask if anyone else out there had had a similar experience with any of their pythons.

I had packed up my pythons as usual in their tubes for transport to an incursion and as I got Charlie and Pheonix (both adult male stimsons) out of their tube i noticed that Charlie was mating with Pheonix...so I thought well maybe i have got it wrong and Pheonix is a female after all. So when i got home i put Pheonix in with Charlie and his female companion Chocky.

The next morning i was packing up to do another incursion and went to get Charlie and Pheonix out again and low and behold Pheonix was mating with Chocky.

So my question are - is Charlie bisexual or just an opportunist or is it common for males to mate with each other, or, could Pheonix be a hermaphrodite??

Something to ponder, i would be interested in anyones input.

Cheers

Karen:D

You invade other countries with your snakes???
What do you mean by incursion?

-

Darlyn, I go into Schools, daycare centres etc to teach children about our native reptiles!

Pseudo, did you not read the whole post??

I was hoping that some of our more experienced keepers would answer this post as I have kept Stimsons for nearly 10 years now and have had the privilege of working with many (thousands) and have never seen this before.

Karen :p

You should change his wallpaper from rainbow to blue :D This may help with his confusion

Sounds like you have a male and two females,in my experience multiple males with a female rip shreds off each other and even attack females that have been with another male from scent.
Gets confusing with all the names and such but if i am ever in doubt i just probe them which is usually on aquasition anyway.
Male snakes do mate with each other at times if they are together, usually the bigger one trying to hump the smaller ,similar to the corrective services.

Mmmm, I'd be questioning if your snake has been accurately sexed and might be a female afterall.

Mmmm, I'd be questioning if your snake has been accurately sexed and might be a female afterall.

I agree, I think sexing may be an issue here. Never heard of "opportunistic" males unless they are playing jailtime.

Thanks Zulu, makes sense!! Chocky the female is just about to drop her bundle...i can wait for her hatchlings as she is quite a stunning specimen and Charlie and Pheonix are both gorgeous too, should be some spectacular looking hatchies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back